What song are you currently listening to now?

Started by CapeCodder, February 03, 2021, 06:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

Earlier, I was listening to "One Last Kiss"  by J. Geils Band. It was one of the better songs they put out in the 70s.

It was their debut single for EMI (off their "Sanctuary"  album from 1978), and works as a "˜breakup song' for their time at Atlantic Records, intentional or not. I love the guitar work on the song, it probably ranks as some of Geils' best.

Apparently, the band was in Jacksonville back in 1975 (during their Atlantic years), supporting the Stones on their tour of North America (technically, both the United States and Canada) that year (it was supposed to include the rest of the Americas, but they weren't able to tour that much). Supposedly, they were one of the opening acts, along with Atlanta Rhythm Section (a hot local favorite, though this wasn't during their peak career, despite being formed from two different bands, one of whom was from around here, the Classics IV, known for their versions of classics (excuse the pun) such as "Spooky"  (their own version came out at the end of 1967 and was a hit early in 1968), adding lyrics to an instrumental from 1966/1967 by sax player Mike Shapiro (who had recorded it under the stage name of Mike Sharpe); later ARS themselves would redo the song for their "Underdog"  album released in 1979) and Rufus (from, where else, Chicago). Of course, this was before my time, when the Gator Bowl was still around, which is now partly contained within TIAA Bank Field.

TheHighwayMan3561

Of all the bands that have ditched their primary frontmen and continued to tour without them, the J. Geils Band doing this while still calling themselves the J. Geils Band may have been the weirdest, for obvious reasons.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

7/8

Little Uneasy by Fazerdaze (I'm hooked on their album Morningside right now):

skluth

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 22, 2022, 05:16:20 AM
Of all the bands that have ditched their primary frontmen and continued to tour without them, the J. Geils Band doing this while still calling themselves the J. Geils Band may have been the weirdest, for obvious reasons.
J Geils is the guitarist. Their singer/frontman was Peter Wolf. The best name in the band is, of course, the harmonica player. Don't follow the band, but I don't think it's much different than Van Halen dumping DLR and then Sammy Hagar or the revolving singers in Fleetwood Mac and Santana.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: skluth on March 11, 2022, 04:25:35 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 22, 2022, 05:16:20 AM
J Geils is the guitarist. Their singer/frontman was Peter Wolf. The best name in the band is, of course, the harmonica player. Don't follow the band, but I don't think it's much different than Van Halen dumping DLR and then Sammy Hagar or the revolving singers in Fleetwood Mac and Santana.

The issue I was getting at was still calling themselves the J. Geils band even though they kicked J. Geils out (and has since died). It would be like the remaining Allman Brothers Band members still touring under that name with Gregg and Duane Allman now both dead.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

7/8

I forget how it came up, but my brother brought up the live version of Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners and we had to re-listen to it. It's hilariously awful! The voice crack scream at 0:57 is a highlight. :-D

7/8

In honour of a warm spring day in Kitchener, I'm listening to one of my favourite summer EP's, Souvenirs by Swimming Tapes. Currently on the song Set the Fire.

StarlightRunner

TV on the Radio - Lazerray.

I heard this song off a Dirty Pair AMV 'bout a year ago. Been hooked ever since.

Mapping the glittering highway, one lane at a time.

oscar

Quite by coincidence, in light of recent events, I've been listening a lot to the Emerson, Lake, and Palmer performance of "The Great Gates of Kiev". This is from their "Pictures at an Exhibition" album, based on the original work of classical Russian pianist Modest Mussorgsky.

ELP's progressive rock adaptation added, among other things, vocals to Mussorgsky's purely instrumental work. For "Great Gates of Kiev", the lyrics ended with this lament (with the bombastic pseudo-profundity common in ELP's work):

There's no end to my life
     No beginning to my death
     Death is life!
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rushmeister

There's a Moon in the Sky (Called the Moon) -- The B52's

...and it will be stuck in my head all day now.
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

Rothman

Quote from: Rushmeister on April 01, 2022, 09:50:51 AM
There's a Moon in the Sky (Called the Moon) -- The B52's

...and it will be stuck in my head all day now.
Underrated album.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

elsmere241

"Beethoven Day" from You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown's 1999 Broadway revival.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

index

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

7/8

webny99

hbelkins

A little instrumental goodness from a great American.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

M3100

Rockin' Pneumonia Boogie Woogie Flu by Johnny Rivers

index

Blitzen Trapper - Jericho (Live at Daytrotter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjtLfEsnOQ

I had to upload this myself because this version wasn't on Youtube anywhere. Pretty obscure song...
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.