News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Busiest intersection in your town/city/metro area

Started by thspfc, October 23, 2021, 02:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Sun Prairie, WI: probably either Grand Ave and Prairie Lakes Dr or Grand Ave and WI-19
Madison: probably either US-51 and US-151 or Gammon Road and Mineral Point Road

LilianaUwU

Currently, due to construction, the intersections between QC-175 and Boulevard Charest are incredibly busy, as Charest has been reduced to one lane each way and QC-175, on a one-way pair, has lane reductions too. Normally, though, I would believe some of the intersections on Boulevard Laurier (also QC-175) are the busiest, as the boulevard is the best non-freeway towards the bridges.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

index

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Max Rockatansky

It's likely Shaw Avenue and Blackstone Avenue in Fresno.  So basically former CA 41 and CA 168. 

Big John

Green Bay: Likely Mason St (WI 54) and Military Ave.  Other possibility is Mason St and Hinkle St - Higher count for Mason St but missing traffic count on Hinkle St. at that intersection.  The Wisconsin traffic count map has a count but most of the traffic has left Hinkle St. at that point.

webny99

For surface intersections? For Rochester it's got to be either NY 104/Long Pond Road or NY 252/NY 15A.

Or maybe NY 104/Lake Rd/Ridgeway Ave, but that's basically three intersections the way it's configured.

I'll look up the volumes when I get a chance.

NWI_Irish96

The busiest road in my town is the 0.3 miles of I-80/94/US 6 that cuts through the northwestern corner of the town, but that does not include any intersections or interchanges, so the busiest intersection would be Calumet Ave (former US 41/IN 141) at Ridge Rd (former US 6/41).
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Great Lakes Roads

The busiest intersection in La Porte is at Pine Lake Avenue (US 35/IN SR 39) at Weller/Truesdell Avenue.
It's thanks to all the recent businesses that have been popping up in that area (Culver's and Dukin') with Aldi's and a new 7/Eleven gas station that will be popping on those two corners.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Flint1979

For Saginaw, MI it's the intersection of Bay Road (M-84) and Tittabawassee Road. Also worth mentioning is the intersection of State Street/Davenport Avenue (M-58) and N. Michigan Avenue along with W. Genesee Avenue a block south of State Street. State Street (M-58) and Center Road in Saginaw Township is a very busy intersection as well.

For Bay City, MI it's the intersection of Euclid Road (M-13) and Wilder Road.

LM117

In Danville, VA there's two intersections I'd say are tied for the top spot:

US-29 Business (Piney Forest Road) & VA-41 (Franklin Turnpike)

Piedmont Drive & Mount Cross Road
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

tolbs17

For Greenville, I say Evans St/Greenville Blvd. Extremely clogged and shitty.

JayhawkCO

I think I read a Denver post article that said it was University Boulevard and 1st Avenue in Cherry Creek.

Chris

TheHighwayMan3561

Minneapolis: probably Hennepin/Lyndale
St. Paul: probably Kellogg/7th
Duluth: probably Lake/Superior either Miller Trunk/Central Entrance (US 53 and MN 194 by the mall) or Mesaba/Central Entrance (MN 194 northwest of downtown).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ibthebigd

Lexington Ky

Nicholasville Rd and Man O War
Or
Richmond Rd and Man O War

SM-G950U

US20IL64

Most of the 3 way intersections in Chicago proper. Diagonals interspersed through the block grid. Example: Western, Diversey and Elston.

Outside city limits, have heard that Cicero Av [IL-50} and 127th st. is packed, but many others that change rankings, often. Other locals have ideas? :hmmm:

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: US20IL64 on October 25, 2021, 05:17:53 PM
Most of the 3 way intersections in Chicago proper. Diagonals interspersed through the block grid. Example: Western, Diversey and Elston.

Outside city limits, have heard that Cicero Av [IL-50} and 127th st. is packed, but many others that change rankings, often. Other locals have ideas? :hmmm:

Yeah, Cicero/127th is up there for suburban intersections. Rte 83/22nd is another one. In the city, Michigan/Chicago is a bad one. Also any of the major ones along Milwaukee, at Division/Ashland, North/Damen, Western/Armitage.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

TBKS1

Little Rock: Probably North University at West Markham or South University at Colonel Glenn/Asher Avenue (around ~30,000 AADT at both intersections according to the ArDOT ArcGIS map)

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

US 89

The Salt Lake Tribune ran an article a few years back where they discussed the busiest at-grade intersections in the state of Utah. With 2017 numbers:

1. Redwood Rd (SR 68) and 5400 South (SR 173) in West Jordan -- CFI
2. State St (US 89) and University Pkwy (SR 265) in Orem
3. Bangerter Highway (SR 154) and 5400 South (SR 173) in Taylorsville -- CFI at the time, now a SPUI
4. Bangerter (SR 154) and 3500 South (SR 171) in West Valley City -- CFI
5. Bangerter (SR 154) and 4700 South in West Valley City/Taylorsville -- CFI
6. Bluff St (SR 18) and Sunset Blvd (SR 8) in St George
7. Redwood (SR 68) and 6200 South in Taylorsville -- half-CFI
8. Bangerter (SR 154) and 6200 South in Taylorsville -- CFI at the time, currently being upgraded to a SPUI
9. Bangerter (SR 154) and 9000 South (SR 209) in West Jordan -- CFI at the time, now a SPUI
10. Bangerter (SR 154) and 4100 South in West Valley City -- CFI
11. State St (US 89) and 800 North (SR 52) in Orem
12. Redwood (SR 68) and 9000 South (SR 209) in West Jordan
13. Bangerter (SR 154) and 7000 South (SR 48) in West Jordan -- CFI at the time, now a SPUI
14. Redwood (SR 68) and 4700 South in Taylorsville
15. Bangerter (SR 154) and 11400 South (SR 175) in South Jordan -- conventional intersection at the time, now a SPUI
16. Bangerter (SR 154) and Redwood (SR 68) -- now a SPUI

Notice anything in common? I think it's dumb Bangerter wasn't built as a freeway to begin with. Would have been quite a bit cheaper than the piecemeal upgrades we're seeing now, and perhaps we could have gotten a decent interchange at 201. Oh well.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 24, 2021, 12:44:23 PM
I think I read a Denver post article that said it was University Boulevard and 1st Avenue in Cherry Creek.

Chris

Found the article.  (It was in Westword in 2019, so my apologies for the misattribution).

1) University Blvd. and 1st Ave. - 21,940 Vehicles
2) University Blvd. (CO177) and Hampden Ave. (US285) - 20,439
3) Colorado Blvd. (CO2) and Alameda Ave. (CO26) - 19,397
4) Monaco Parkway and Hampden Ave. (US285) - 18,490
5) Colorado Blvd. (CO2) and 6th Ave. - 18,248
6) Colorado Blvd. (CO2) and Hampden Ave. (US285) - 18,074
7) Colorado Blvd. (CO2) and Mexico Ave. - 17,705
8) Colorado Blvd. (CO2) and 17th Ave. - 17,387

As you can see, there is a reason I moved CO2 up in the "most important" rankings for the lowest ten numbers in that other thread.  It carries a ton of traffic.

Chris

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 23, 2021, 03:24:53 PM
It's likely Shaw Avenue and Blackstone Avenue in Fresno.  So basically former CA 41 and CA 168. 

That's a block from Toledo's, home of the world's worst wine margarita.

US20IL64

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 25, 2021, 07:09:05 PM
Quote from: US20IL64 on October 25, 2021, 05:17:53 PM

Yeah, Cicero/127th is up there for suburban intersections. Rte 83/22nd is another one. In the city, Michigan/Chicago is a bad one. Also any of the major ones along Milwaukee, at Division/Ashland, North/Damen, Western/Armitage.

IL-83 and IL-64/North Av is notorious, also. And in Chicago, 3 way intersections along diagonal Clybourn Av, with former industrial sites turned into strip malls.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on October 27, 2021, 12:48:47 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 23, 2021, 03:24:53 PM

That's a block from Toledo's, home of the world's worst wine margarita.

I don't even know what that is.  But in general, I think any wine margarita sounds like the world's worst drink to start with.

Chris

roadman65

US 92 and US 98 in Lakeland along with US 98 at SR 548 only blocks apart.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NoGoodNamesAvailable

In the NY metro area I believe it's Long Beach Blvd & East Park Ave in Long Beach NY.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.