News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ask Me Anything About Chicago

Started by Henry, October 28, 2021, 02:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: jgb191 on October 28, 2021, 03:29:19 PM
Q1:  What is the best way for a traveler to connect between Midway and O'Hare between flights?

Q2:  What is the best deep dish in the city?

Q3:  Why do Cubs fans dislike the W. Sox team, and why do W. Sox fan dislike the Cubs team?
Heck I can answer these questions.
Q1: Take the Orange Line to the Loop and get off at Clark and Lake, then go down to the Blue Line subway going towards O'Hare.

Q2: That depends on who you ask. Historically I would say Giordano's, but you also have your local ones like Nancy's and Beggars which is another chain that I have found that is good.

Q3: I can answer this question from a White Sox fan's point of view since I'm a White Sox fan. We really don't even think about the Cubs unless we are playing them, it's a rivalry mainly between the fans but has at times been a rivalry on the field as well like with the A.J. Pierzynski and Michael Barrett incident. White Sox fans find Cubs fans obnoxious and only going to games for the party atmosphere. The White Sox are different because you aren't going to the game because of the stadium or the party atmosphere.

SkyPesos

Is Lord Carhorn a celebrity in Chicago now?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 29, 2021, 02:21:23 PM
Is Lord Carhorn a celebrity in Chicago now?

Was there a time when he wasn't on the same social conscious level as Michael Jordan and Mike Ditka?

Flint1979

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 28, 2021, 04:12:45 PM
Quote from: Rick Powell on October 28, 2021, 04:09:59 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on October 28, 2021, 03:29:19 PM
Q1:  What is the best way for a traveler to connect between Midway and O'Hare between flights?
Best answer - You don't book a connecting flight between Midway and O'Hare.
CTA Orange Line to CTA Blue Line is probably the best way if you absolutely have to do it. Van Buren or Clark/Lake are the 2 stations you can transfer from Orange to Blue. Or get an Uber or a cab, they will probably do Cicero north to the Kennedy (or maybe Cicero to I-55 to Dan Ryan to Kennedy) depending on traffic.

I've flown into LGA and out of JFK which is annoying, but doable.  I wouldn't ever book into MDW and out or ORD (or vv).  Taking the L is about an hour and a half if not longer.  I once met someone at Midway after having flown into O'Hare, and then we took the Red Line back up to Andersonville (Argyle stop).  I think I was on the train for three hours.

Chris
The Blue Line is about 45 minutes from O'Hare to Clark/Lake. The transfer will take a little extra time because that is quite a complex station on the L as the subway is multiple floors below. The Orange Line to Midway is about 25 minutes though so your hour and a half isn't really far off. That three hours on the train seems very possible for the route involved there too. I would never do it myself.

jgb191

The only reason I asked Q1 was a friend of mine who works for Southwest Airlines in Corpus Christi needed to travel to Marquette, Michigan early last year.  Traveling Southwest (free for employees) could only take him as close as Midway airport.  And American Airlines does serve Marquette out of the O'Hare airport.

As for Q2, I love deep dish pizza.  My favorite is Uno's because of their buttery crust.  I've also had Gino's and Giordano's; I don't mind Giordano's stuffed deep dish, but my first choice is the original Uno's.  I have yet to try Lou Malnati, and looking forward to giving it a go in the future.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Roadgeekteen

More Cubs or White Sox fans in the city?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 30, 2021, 05:18:29 AM

In the city itself it's fairly even. The farther you get from the city, the larger the tilt towards Cubs fans.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

on_wisconsin

Has ABInbev completely ruined Goose Island yet?
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Flint1979

Depends on the part of the city, the Southside is indeed White Sox country, the Northside is more mixed probably with more Cubs fans though.

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 30, 2021, 06:10:20 AM

In the city itself it's fairly even. The farther you get from the city, the larger the tilt towards Cubs fans.
I'm one that never understood the obsession over the Cubs.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

What is the best blues (music) club in Chicago?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

abefroman329

Quote from: jgb191 on October 30, 2021, 04:48:58 AM
The only reason I asked Q1 was a friend of mine who works for Southwest Airlines in Corpus Christi needed to travel to Marquette, Michigan early last year.  Traveling Southwest (free for employees) could only take him as close as Midway airport.  And American Airlines does serve Marquette out of the O'Hare airport.

Since then, Southwest has started flying to ORD, though they don't fly there nonstop from Corpus.

In normal times, it's possible to take a motorcoach or shared van between ORD and MDW.  I would not recommend taking the L between ORD and MDW if you have anything more than one carry-on suitcase with you.  The Blue Line platform at Clark/Lake is pretty narrow, and both the Blue Line and Orange Line platforms will be very crowded if it's rush hour.  Also, as with many public transit lines that provide service to airports (I'm looking at you, Metrobus 5A to Dulles), the service is intended for airport/airline employees to get to and from work, meaning there are no luggage racks.

Flint1979

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.