News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Flipping off other people on the road

Started by index, November 01, 2021, 02:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

In what situations do you do this/have recently done this?

I've never had to flip anybody off while driving, fortunately (and I've only ever had to honk once in the three and a half years I've been driving), however, as a pedestrian, I have...Plenty of times...

If I'm crossing on a white hand or a countdown and I get almost ran over, or someone chooses to run a pedestrian/HAWK signal, (especially as I'm stepping on to the crosswalk) automatic middle finger. I've had the privilege of being able to do this a few times. I think it's the least I can be compensated, for nearly being turned into a flesh pancake. I am not two tons of metal and I don't have a crumple zone. People ought to watch for pedestrians, especially when they have the right of way.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

JayhawkCO

I try not to.  Too many crazy people with guns seemingly unafraid to use them for minor things nowadays.

Chris

Rothman

I actually find myself a little ashamed of the once or twice I've done so.

That said, my mother was honked at in a Price Chopper parking lot and even she reflexively flipped the guy off, so...could happen to anyone.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

Ask Lord Carhorn this. Bet he'll have some interesting stories.

Scott5114

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 01, 2021, 02:27:25 PM
I try not to.  Too many crazy people with guns seemingly unafraid to use them for minor things nowadays.

Chris

This. Flipping someone off doesn't really benefit me in any way, makes me take my hand off the wheel (which makes it harder for me to react to whatever shitty thing they did), and risks pissing them off to the point that they intentionally do something dangerous. There was an incident on I-35 up in Edmond not too long ago where a driver of a pickup got pissed at another driver and intentionally ran both of them into the Jersey barrier. I don't want to get involved in that kind of stupidity.

Usually if I'm upset at a driver and I want to vent, I'll just yell, since there's no way they'll hear me.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

index

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 01, 2021, 02:36:00 PM

Chris

This. Flipping someone off doesn't really benefit me in any way, makes me take my hand off the wheel (which makes it harder for me to react to whatever shitty thing they did), and risks pissing them off to the point that they intentionally do something dangerous. There was an incident on I-35 up in Edmond not too long ago where a driver of a pickup got pissed at another driver and intentionally ran both of them into the Jersey barrier. I don't want to get involved in that kind of stupidity.

Usually if I'm upset at a driver and I want to vent, I'll just yell, since there's no way they'll hear me.
I am a fairly passive driver when it comes to mistakes. People have done plenty of stupid things in front of me, as the nature of driving goes, and none of us are perfect, so I'm not the arbiter of good driving. That stuff doesn't get to me and I don't let it.

But I've only ever (edited my original post to say it) used my horn once, and that was for when a lady pulled out like 10 feet in front of me as I was driving on a local road. Plenty of visibility. She glared at me. If she didn't act like it was my fault I wouldn't have even been mad, it's not like I was gonna be killed. I use my horn as a warning device, rather than an anger device (looking at Pennsylvania drivers). It's for "hey, watch out" rather than "you didn't slam the gas as soon as the light went green" or "you're a dick". So I wasn't mad she did that, I was mad she was angry at me for responding to it.

As a pedestrian, though, I don't hold back. I can get killed by dumb mistakes like that, so I will yell if the driver is close enough and/or flip them off. Too many drivers seem to treat pedestrians like targets they can score points by hitting, and not the ones on your license. The amount of times I've nearly been ran over is ridiculous, especially when it's super clear you need to stop, like a red light on a pedestrian signal or HAWK signal. I resort to looking behind myself whenever I use a crosswalk to make sure right turners don't hit me.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Rothman

Oh, I am all about honking, much to the chagrin of my wife and son.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

I have tried very hard to break myself of the bad habit of giving the finger because some people go berserk over it. A guy in a pickup once severely cut me off; he had a big decal on his rear window of a middle-finger gesture, so I returned the gesture as I went around him. He then started chasing me for a while (I lost him quickly enough). Apparently he was the sort of pussy who likes to dish it out but is unwilling to take it when it's directed back at him.

I will refrain from making the other observations I wish to make on this topic because it'll just start trouble.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

ilpt4u

I prefer the random brake-checks on tailgaters, but if they then pass after 10-20 miles of riding tailgate, I'll fly the bird in the general direction

Honking is just a normal part of driving

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 01, 2021, 03:34:35 PM
I prefer the random brake-checks on tailgaters, but if they then pass after 10-20 miles of riding tailgate, I'll fly the bird in the general direction

I don't remember it being so prevalent when I was living in Chicago.  I feel like I missed out on something.  :confused:  :-( :-(

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 01, 2021, 03:34:35 PM

In Canada, you can get a ticket for honking for anything other than alerting a car to a danger. 

Chris

triplemultiplex

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 01, 2021, 03:39:11 PM
In Canada, you can get a ticket for honking for anything other than altering a car to a danger. 

That sounds so Canadian, it has to be true.  Like they have an article in their constitution penalizing those who are impolite. :-D

I like to flip off cop cars sitting on their donut-munching asses in median of rural freeways looking for some revenue generating opportunities.  But since I'm also a coward, I do it so they can't see me.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

J N Winkler

I've used hand gestures (not necessarily the bird) to express annoyance with other drivers, though typically in a way that is not visible outside the car--it's just not worth the risk of escalation into a road-rage incident.  I also try not to use the horn out of anger, though I've not always been successful.  I have never intentionally brake-checked anybody.

I last used my horn on Wednesday, October 20, at one of the tee intersections where my street ends.  I had waited at the end of my driveway while backing out to yield to another car, so I ended up following it down the road.  The driver then came to a stop at the stem of the tee (which is uncontrolled) and just sat there without moving for close to a full minute--there was no traffic coming in either direction.  I eventually pressed the horn pad, at which point the other driver turned right and I turned left.

Instead of using my horn, I could have backed up and done a driveway turn-around, and I would have done so if the road were straight with good visibility.  Doing so in this case would have meant reversing toward a blind curve; also, there are only three driveways along this length and they are typically full of parked cars.  (One of the houses belongs to a car fancier with a double-depth garage to protect the bona fide classics from the weather.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Flint1979

I just did it earlier today. I was traveling 45 mph on a street in the left lane and had the right of way and from a side street comes this van that didn't stop for the stop sign and pulls out in front of me. I got in the other lane and flicked the driver off as I was going by.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 01, 2021, 04:09:34 PM
I just did it earlier today. I was traveling 45 mph on a street in the left lane and had the right of way and from a side street comes this van that didn't stop for the stop sign and pulls out in front of me. I got in the other lane and flicked the driver off as I was going by.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
As you should

1995hoo

Regarding horn usage, I most recently used my horn on Saturday on the way to get my COVID booster shot. I was making the right turn seen in this Street View image and the woman in front of me braked almost to a complete stop, despite traffic going straight having a green light and there not being anyone coming from the left to whom she needed to yield. I didn't blast the horn at her–I was far enough back that I gave it a bunch of beeps instead, though I still wound up having to shift down to second gear because she was so slow to get moving.

However, since I haven't driven anywhere since Saturday night, not having used my horn since then is not remarkable.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ran4sh

The usual situation in which I do this is when drivers remain in the left lane (except for preparing to turn left or take a left exit) and either aren't passing, or are preventing drivers behind them from passing.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Brandon

I live near and drive in Chicago.  You figure it out.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

abefroman329

No, and I'm trying to use my horn far less frequently than I do now.

Quote from: Brandon on November 01, 2021, 06:17:35 PM

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem.

thspfc

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 01, 2021, 06:32:29 PM
No, and I'm trying to use my horn far less frequently than I do now.

Quote from: Brandon on November 01, 2021, 06:17:35 PM

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem.
By virtue of driving on Chicago freeways he's automatically part of the problem.

Georgia

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 01, 2021, 03:54:59 PM
I've used hand gestures (not necessarily the bird) to express annoyance with other drivers, though typically in a way that is not visible outside the car--it's just not worth the risk of escalation into a road-rage incident.  I also try not to use the horn out of anger, though I've not always been successful.  I have never intentionally brake-checked anybody.

I last used my horn on Wednesday, October 20, at one of the tee intersections where my street ends.  I had waited at the end of my driveway while backing out to yield to another car, so I ended up following it down the road.  The driver then came to a stop at the stem of the tee (which is uncontrolled) and just sat there without moving for close to a full minute--there was no traffic coming in either direction.  I eventually pressed the horn pad, at which point the other driver turned right and I turned left.

Instead of using my horn, I could have backed up and done a driveway turn-around, and I would have done so if the road were straight with good visibility.  Doing so in this case would have meant reversing toward a blind curve; also, there are only three driveways along this length and they are typically full of parked cars.  (One of the houses belongs to a car fancier with a double-depth garage to protect the bona fide classics from the weather.)

given your non kansas location, do you flick them the V?
that is what i do now if i get really aggravated.

hotdogPi

Doesn't quite belong in the changing one letter thread, but too good to pass up:

Flipping over other people on the road
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: index on November 01, 2021, 02:23:34 PM
In what situations do you do this/have recently done this?

I've never had to flip anybody off while driving, fortunately (and I've only ever had to honk once in the three and a half years I've been driving), however, as a pedestrian, I have...Plenty of times...

If I'm crossing on a white hand or a countdown and I get almost ran over, or someone chooses to run a pedestrian/HAWK signal, (especially as I'm stepping on to the crosswalk) automatic middle finger. I've had the privilege of being able to do this a few times. I think it's the least I can be compensated, for nearly being turned into a flesh pancake. I am not two tons of metal and I don't have a crumple zone. People ought to watch for pedestrians, especially when they have the right of way.

The best way to deal with every driver that irritates you is make a youtube video out of your dashcam and then post it here.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

plain

Chris

Virginia.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.