News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Flipping off other people on the road

Started by index, November 01, 2021, 02:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 01, 2021, 06:53:26 PM
Quote from: index on November 01, 2021, 02:23:34 PM
In what situations do you do this/have recently done this?

I've never had to flip anybody off while driving, fortunately (and I've only ever had to honk once in the three and a half years I've been driving), however, as a pedestrian, I have...Plenty of times...

If I'm crossing on a white hand or a countdown and I get almost ran over, or someone chooses to run a pedestrian/HAWK signal, (especially as I'm stepping on to the crosswalk) automatic middle finger. I've had the privilege of being able to do this a few times. I think it's the least I can be compensated, for nearly being turned into a flesh pancake. I am not two tons of metal and I don't have a crumple zone. People ought to watch for pedestrians, especially when they have the right of way.

The best way to deal with every driver that irritates you is make a youtube video out of your dashcam and then post it here.

Should we leave out the parts where we caused the other person to become aggressive?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 01, 2021, 07:58:10 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on November 01, 2021, 06:53:26 PM
Quote from: index on November 01, 2021, 02:23:34 PM
In what situations do you do this/have recently done this?

I've never had to flip anybody off while driving, fortunately (and I've only ever had to honk once in the three and a half years I've been driving), however, as a pedestrian, I have...Plenty of times...

If I'm crossing on a white hand or a countdown and I get almost ran over, or someone chooses to run a pedestrian/HAWK signal, (especially as I'm stepping on to the crosswalk) automatic middle finger. I've had the privilege of being able to do this a few times. I think it's the least I can be compensated, for nearly being turned into a flesh pancake. I am not two tons of metal and I don't have a crumple zone. People ought to watch for pedestrians, especially when they have the right of way.

The best way to deal with every driver that irritates you is make a youtube video out of your dashcam and then post it here.

Should we leave out the parts where we caused the other person to become aggressive?

You aren't doing it right if you accept culpability for your actions.

dlsterner

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 01, 2021, 02:27:25 PM
I try not to.  Too many crazy people with guns seemingly unafraid to use them for minor things nowadays.

Chris

This.  Too many road rage incidents that don't end well.  At worst, I try to limit it to the "Italian Bird", the "Palms Held Upward WTF" gesture, or giving the other driver the "stink-eye" if I pass them.  Even those are becoming increasing rare for me these days.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

The only car I ever flipped off was one flying an obviously vulgar and gross banner.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kurumi

I have sometimes given a thumbs up and a smile (super sarcastic, and gets a bird in response) but for a long time the policy has been "do not engage"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

tolbs17

I have parents that rush and sometimes try to cut people off and anger them.  :ded:

index

Quote from: tolbs17 on November 02, 2021, 12:49:48 AM
I have parents that rush and sometimes try to cut people off and anger them.  :ded:
My father has gone around people at stop signs if he thinks they're "taking too long". No comment needed on that one.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

zachary_amaryllis

i tend to use the headlight-flick, rather than the finger, unless it's something truly top-level screwery, something that directly would cause a safety issue. but then they get the horn.

pizza drivers have this reputation of being gonzo maniacs behind the wheel (and some of my co-workers are), but i'm pretty laser focused when i drive for work. going home, its a little auto-pilot-y since i live in the sticks.

it doesn't help that the store i work for is in a college-infested area, where random students in various degrees of buzzedness dart out into the street at will, in cars, and on those damnable little scooters.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Max Rockatansky

I'm surprised nobody has cited deploying their windshield wiper fluid for tailgaters in this thread.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 02, 2021, 06:01:05 PM
I'm surprised nobody has cited deploying their windshield wiper fluid for tailgaters in this thread.
i've thought about it.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

hbelkins

The videos I've seen posted here where this tactic was employed did not actually show examples of tailgating.

I've done this by accident before and felt really bad about it. And I always adjusted the sprayers at the first opportunity after it happened so more of the fluid would be directed onto the windshield.

One thing I will do, if someone tailgates me at night and then passes me, is to leave my lights on bright.

NWI_Irish96

If I'm being tailgated, I gradually drop my speed, 1 mph at a time, until they either pass me or back off.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

allniter89

I’m surprised nobody has cited deploying their windshield wiper fluid for tailgaters in this thread.
Yeah, this is especially good if the tailgater has a windshield full of juicy dead bugs. :bigass:

I used to flip off people regularly. There's been a large increase in road rage gunfire around heree so I try to behave myself. In my younger daze I was pretty bold stupid. I've followed people offf the main road into their neighborhood but not to their house. I would turn around b4 going too far into the neighbirhood.
Now that I'm older & wiser(?) I keep my eyes forward & mind my own bizness :nod:

QuoteThe only car I ever flipped off was one flying an obviously vulgar and gross banner.
Trump 2024? :bigass:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Bruce

I've been punched for flipping someone off as a pedestrian, so I don't recommend it myself. Of course it wasn't taken seriously by the utterly useless police, so I had no chance to press charges (and was willing to waste as much time as I needed to make a point).

abefroman329

Quote from: allniter89 on November 02, 2021, 07:43:07 PM
The only car I ever flipped off was one flying an obviously vulgar and gross banner.
Trump 2024? :bigass:
I was thinking "Green Bay Packers flag"

abefroman329

Sounds like a lot of work.  If I'm being tailgated, I just take my foot off the gas pedal and let the laws of physics take over.

KEK Inc.

I find a slow sarcastic golf clap to be my cheeky bird.

iPhone
Take the road less traveled.

snowc

@Mods, think its a good time to reconsider this thread? @Alps, if necessary, lock the thread.
Not now, but may be monitored given the vulgarity of the title.

hbelkins

Quote from: snowc on November 03, 2021, 11:45:06 AM
@Mods, think its a good time to reconsider this thread? @Alps, if necessary, lock the thread.

Why? I haven't seen anything over the top, and only one reference to a politician. Everyone appears to be behaving themselves so far.

snowc

Quote from: hbelkins on November 03, 2021, 01:11:51 PM

Why? I haven't seen anything over the top, and only one reference to a politician. Everyone appears to be behaving themselves so far.
ok, i stand corrected.
i thought the finger was a vulgar remark.  :hmmm:

renegade

Quote from: snowc on November 03, 2021, 01:12:59 PM

ok, i stand corrected.
"@whomever" still does not work on this forum, either.   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

snowc

Quote from: renegade on November 03, 2021, 01:16:53 PM
Quote from: snowc on November 03, 2021, 01:12:59 PM

ok, i stand corrected.
"@whomever" still does not work on this forum, either.   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
agree. they should add this!  :banghead:

JayhawkCO

How is the title vulgar?  If it were titled "Telling people to "f*&! off while driving", okay...

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Chris

snowc

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 03, 2021, 01:20:57 PM

How is the title vulgar?  If it were titled "Telling people to "f*&! off while driving", okay...

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Chris
My mother told me never to flip people off on roads, as its considered road rage.
My father flipped the bird when somebody passed him on Red Hill Church Rd on a Double Solid line! :wow:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.