News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Famous Celebrities that use stage names completely different

Started by roadman65, November 26, 2021, 10:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Stars that don't use names even close to their name

Peter Marshall ( Host of Hollywood Squares 1966-1981) Real name Ralph Pierre LeCock
Charley Weaver ( Old Time Commedian) Real name Clifford Arquette
Tony Curtis- Bernard Herschel Schwartz
Tony Randall- Aryeh Leonard Rosenberg

There are plenty out there, I know.  What are ones you can think of.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Marilyn Monroe- Norma Jean Mortenson
John Denver- Henry John Detchendorf Jr
Dennis James- Demie James Sposa

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

Elton John–given name Reginald Dwight (hence the 1988 album Reg Strikes Back)

Speaking of Elton John, Kiki Dee's given name is Pauline Matthews.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Gene Simmons -- Chaim Vitz.

Geddy Lee -- Gary Weinrib.

Aleksandar Živojinović  -- Alex Lifeson. (Had to look that one up).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

In_Correct

Whoopi Goldberg Is Caryn Elaine Johnson. However, Peter sounds similar to Pierre.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

KeithE4Phx

Jack Benny -- Benjamin Kubelsky
Mary Livingstone (Jack's wife) -- Sayde Marks
Dennis Day -- Eugene McNulty
Fred Allen -- John Sullivan
John Wayne -- Marion Morrison
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

KeithE4Phx

Related to The Three Stooges:

Ted Healy -- Ernest Lea Nash
Moe Howard -- Harry Moses Horwitz
Curly Howard -- Jerome Horwitz
Shemp Howard -- Samuel Horwitz
Larry Fine -- Louis Feinberg
Curly Joe DeRita -- Joseph Wardell

(Joe Besser was the only Stooge who used his real name.)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Takumi

Marilyn Manson - Brian Warner
Lana Del Rey - Elizabeth Grant
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

KeithE4Phx

Ringo Starr -- Richard Starkey
Conway Twitty -- Harold Jenkins
Lady Gaga – Stefani Germanotta
Charlie Sheen -- Carlos Estévez
Rita Hayworth -- Margarita Cansino
Harry Caray -- Harold Carabina
Iron Eyes Cody -- Espera de Corti
Muddy Waters -- McKinley Morganfield
Howlin' Wolf -- Chester Burnett
Meat Loaf -- Marvin Aday
Alice Cooper -- Vince Furnier
Acquanetta -- Mildred Davenport
Rodney Dangerfield -- Jacob Cohen

I'll leave out the rappers, because I'm not sure any of them use their real names.

Scott5114

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 26, 2021, 08:15:52 PM

This one is kind of silly, since he just went from one extremely boring white guy name to another. Most of the rest of them make sense (they're hard to remember or spell or obviously belonging to an ethnicity, so they were changed to avoid discrimination). I can only guess that there was already a John Sullivan in the union or something.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 27, 2021, 12:36:22 AM

This one is kind of silly, since he just went from one extremely boring white guy name to another. Most of the rest of them make sense (they're hard to remember or spell or obviously belonging to an ethnicity, so they were changed to avoid discrimination). I can only guess that there was already a John Sullivan in the union or something.
Discrimination against the Irish.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

oscar

Danny Thomas -- Amos Muzyad Yaqoob Kairouz a/k/a Amos Jacobs Kairouz
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ftballfan

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 26, 2021, 09:13:18 PM

Were Moe, Curly, and Shemp legitimate brothers?

Some more examples (from the world of pro wrestling):
Triple H - Paul Levesque
CM Punk - Phil Brooks
Hulk Hogan - Terry Bollea
Lex Luger - Lawrence Pfohl
The Ultimate Warrior - James Hellwig (he'd later legally change his name to Warrior)
Superstar Billy Graham - Eldridge Coleman
Sting - Steve Borden

Speaking of the singer Sting, his real name is Gordon Sumner.

Takumi

Quote from: ftballfan on November 28, 2021, 12:30:10 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 26, 2021, 09:13:18 PM

Some more examples (from the world of pro wrestling):
Triple H - Paul Levesque
CM Punk - Phil Brooks
Hulk Hogan - Terry Bollea
Lex Luger - Lawrence Pfohl
The Ultimate Warrior - James Hellwig (he'd later legally change his name to Warrior)
Superstar Billy Graham - Eldridge Coleman
Sting - Steve Borden

Speaking of the singer Sting, his real name is Gordon Sumner.

Dwayne Johnson's nickname "The Rock"  also came from his former pro wrestling alias of Rocky Maivia.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: ftballfan on November 28, 2021, 12:30:10 PM

Yes, Shemp (1895-1955), Moe (1897-1975), and Curly (1903-1952) were brothers.  They also had two non-actor brothers, Irving (1891-1939), and Jack (1893-1976).

jlam

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 26, 2021, 10:00:44 PM
I'll leave out the rappers, because I'm not sure any of them use their real names.

At least one rapper famously does, Obie Trice - his "Obie Trice, real name no gimmicks" line was sampled by Eminem in "Without Me".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Henry

David Bowie was born David Jones, but changed his last name to Bowie because there already was a Davy Jones who played in the Monkees.

There also have been many instances of stars with really long names intentionally leaving out certain parts when they perform, such as Harry Lillis Bing Crosby, who never used Harry or Lillis in public, and William Martin Joel, who is better known as Billy Joel but also went by Bill Martin early on in his career.

Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2021, 12:46:29 AM

Discrimination against the Irish.
Or against the Italians, as was the case with Dean Martin, whose real name was Dino Paul Crocetti.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

catch22

Quote from: Henry on November 30, 2021, 11:15:37 AM
David Bowie was born David Jones, but changed his last name to Bowie because there already was a Davy Jones who played in the Monkees.

Two more examples of using a stage name to avoid confusion with an existing actor and/or the SAG:

Michael Keaton, real name Michael Douglas
old-time actor Stewart Granger, real name James Stewart

KeithE4Phx

Davy Jones, the future Monkee, came first, so he had rights to his name.  He had been on the London stage and British TV since 1961.  He first appeared in the US on The Ed Sullivan Show on 2/9/1964.  Yes, the same show that introduced The Beatles to America.  His post-Monkee career was up and down, not including Monkees reunions.  He died in 2012.

Davy Jones, the future Bowie, came along a couple years later, fronting such bands as Davy Jones and the King Bees before changing his name and having his first hit with Space Oddity in 1967.  He had a much better career, putting out his last original album two days before his death in 2016.

hbelkins

There also have been many instances of stars with really long names intentionally leaving out certain parts when they perform, such as Harry Lillis Bing Crosby, who never used Harry or Lillis in public, and William Martin Joel, who is better known as Billy Joel but also went by Bill Martin early on in his career.

Peter Crisscoula. Pretty easy to figure out that one. Also Steven Tallarico. You know him, he taught you how to walk this way.

In one of the predecessor bands to Chicago, drummer Danny Seraphine and saxophonist Walter Parazaider were known as Danny Sera and Walt Perry respectively.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

The one I've always found kind of cool is that Neil Diamond is NOT a stage name–it's his real name.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.