News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that DON'T bother you

Started by webny99, June 09, 2021, 04:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on November 23, 2021, 01:49:10 PM
The fact that Tuxedo shirt buttons are not sowed on like normal button shirts.  I don't wear Tuxedos as to me they are snob suits, but still when you think about it seems silly as why not sow it on in the first place. Why make the user have to attach and de attach the buttons, and store them separately in the first place?

Can't tell whether this bothers you and you posted it in the wrong thread or whether it doesn't bother you and you just think it's weird, but anyway, the reason tuxedos use what are called "studs" in place of most of the buttons is that a necktie–which covers the buttons on a standard dress shirt–is not worn with a tuxedo. A bowtie is standard, and it doesn't cover the buttons, so the studs provide a dressier look. There are studless versions, however, in which a second placket covers the buttons so you don't see them and the shirt has a clean front when worn. I've never seen one worn, but you can find pictures online.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 24, 2021, 07:51:30 AM
The fact that Tuxedo shirt buttons are not sowed on like normal button shirts.  I don't wear Tuxedos as to me they are snob suits, but still when you think about it seems silly as why not sow it on in the first place. Why make the user have to attach and de attach the buttons, and store them separately in the first place?

Can't tell whether this bothers you and you posted it in the wrong thread or whether it doesn't bother you and you just think it's weird, but anyway, the reason tuxedos use what are called "studs" in place of most of the buttons is that a necktie–which covers the buttons on a standard dress shirt–is not worn with a tuxedo. A bowtie is standard, and it doesn't cover the buttons, so the studs provide a dressier look. There are studless versions, however, in which a second placket covers the buttons so you don't see them and the shirt has a clean front when worn. I've never seen one worn, but you can find pictures online.

No it doesn't bother me, just a minor thing  that doesn't bother me. Didn't know how to say it. But, it is a thing I don't lose sleep over that bothers me, if I read the title correctly.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

It's probably only rental tuxedo shirts that are like that - I owned a tuxedo shirt that didn't have holes for shirt studs.

abefroman329

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 24, 2021, 12:29:16 PM
It's probably only rental tuxedo shirts that are like that - I owned a tuxedo shirt that didn't have holes for shirt studs.

Not necessarily. I own a tuxedo shirt–although I wouldn't fit into it anymore because the neck is half a size too small–and it uses studs and cufflinks. I doubt I'd fit into the tuxedo itself anymore, either.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kkt

Quote from: index on June 09, 2021, 05:18:30 PM
Quote from: Big John on June 09, 2021, 05:11:41 PM
Quote from: index on June 09, 2021, 05:07:56 PM

Numbers that aren't multiples of 5 on microwave timers, prices, etc. Sometimes I set timers to something like 3:49 just to bug people. I also bite into candy bars sideways out of spite.

Don't most prices end with .99?
Well yes but, from what I've seen, people usually obsess over when numbers are multiples of 5. 3.95 instead of 3.99. 3:00 instead of 3:01.

The $3.95 thing was explained to me as a legacy of old British coinage, where the money was pound notes (or, ages ago, gold coins), shillings worth 1/20 of a pound, and pence at 12 to the shilling.  When they decimalized, the old pence were translated to new pence at 100 to the pound and the shillings component of the price was translated into 5 new pence.  I'm still a little skeptical, though, because the US has used 100 cents to the dollar since Thomas Jefferson's time and why would we care about British coinage, old or new?

kkt

Quote from: texaskdog on June 11, 2021, 07:16:43 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 11, 2021, 07:09:35 PM
Quote from: andrepoiy on June 11, 2021, 06:07:49 PM
The United States.

In Canadian media, and amongst people (at least in my age group), there seems to be a general dislike of the US, constant US-bashing, portraying the US as a third-world-country, "Canada is so much better than the US in X category", etc.

I don't know why this is, but I am not bothered by the US as my peers, in fact, I love the country (but I won't say that to them or else I'll get cancelled)

Part of that may be because Canada is measurably better than the US in a number of ways... The US isn't the worst place in the world, by far. But where the will exists, it's not very hard to improve on our system, either, and Canada has done so in a fair number of areas.

The sad reality is the reason we don't have things like the metric system is Americans are too lazy to learn something new.  Lots of other things to like about Canada too.

Yep.  Sigh.

formulanone

Quote from: kkt on November 24, 2021, 05:44:48 PM
Quote from: index on June 09, 2021, 05:18:30 PM
Quote from: Big John on June 09, 2021, 05:11:41 PM
Quote from: index on June 09, 2021, 05:07:56 PM

Numbers that aren't multiples of 5 on microwave timers, prices, etc. Sometimes I set timers to something like 3:49 just to bug people. I also bite into candy bars sideways out of spite.

Don't most prices end with .99?
Well yes but, from what I've seen, people usually obsess over when numbers are multiples of 5. 3.95 instead of 3.99. 3:00 instead of 3:01.

The $3.95 thing was explained to me as a legacy of old British coinage, where the money was pound notes (or, ages ago, gold coins), shillings worth 1/20 of a pound, and pence at 12 to the shilling.  When they decimalized, the old pence were translated to new pence at 100 to the pound and the shillings component of the price was translated into 5 new pence.  I'm still a little skeptical, though, because the US has used 100 cents to the dollar since Thomas Jefferson's time and why would we care about British coinage, old or new?

I think it's just to psychological trick people, plain and simple.

About the only places you don't regularly see that practice are swap meets and fancy restaurants.

TheHighwayMan3561

Renaming things after living people.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

zachary_amaryllis

a long drive when delivering pizza. usually long drives generate good tips, and i get to listen to music.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

webny99

tolbs17

Traffic lights attached to the bridges.

kphoger

When a login page alerts me, "Caps Lock is ON".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

One of my dogs sitting next to me on the couch.  This drives my wife up the wall since she seemingly is under the impression that the couch is a forever purchase and can't be easily replaced. 

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.