News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

First Wikipedia article for a highway

Started by index, February 23, 2024, 03:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

After contributing images to several route articles on Wikipedia, and contributing here and there in other niches on the site under a few different accounts, I've finally decided to begin drafting an article for US 74A from Asheville to Forest City. I believe it could stand on its own as an article rather than just being in the special routes article. Similar ones for roads like  US 17A in South Carolina exist, for example.

Here is the draft. The forum software is gonna break the link by removing the parenthesis at the end from the actual link so look out for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:U.S._Route_74_Alternate_(Asheville%E2%80%93Forest_City)

Feel free to share any (constructive and polite) critique and/or other suggestions/tips.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Wikipedia is a hostile environment for road editors now—the bar of "notability" keeps rising and rising, to the point that you may face pretty long odds getting a mere bannered route accepted. These days, they basically demand that you have a bunch of newspaper articles on a route for an article to exist, and even then those may be deemed not good enough if they don't focus on the road enough. (How much is enough? More than you can actually find in the real world!) The site culture actually rewards people that delete articles over those that create them now.

Most of the roadgeeks on Wikipedia have decamped to the AARoads Wiki, which uses the same software, is content to allow just about every road article within reason, and has nicer maps. The policies are greatly pared back and only focus on the important stuff, so you won't get accused of violating WP:BYOP, WP:MONGO, WP:DEEF, and WP:FJORD every time you turn around. If you do Discord, we have a server that has a lot of overlap with the membership here as well as on the AARoads Wiki. All in all it's a much more chill, low-drama environment, one which I recommend over Wikipedia.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Run as far as you can from Wikipedia.  AAroads is far more friendly grounds to get your feet wet making Wiki style road pages.

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2024, 05:37:22 PM
Wikipedia is a hostile environment for road editors now—the bar of "notability" keeps rising and rising, to the point that you may face pretty long odds getting a mere bannered route accepted. These days, they basically demand that you have a bunch of newspaper articles on a route for an article to exist, and even then those may be deemed not good enough if they don't focus on the road enough. (How much is enough? More than you can actually find in the real world!) The site culture actually rewards people that delete articles over those that create them now.

Most of the roadgeeks on Wikipedia have decamped to the AARoads Wiki, which uses the same software, is content to allow just about every road article within reason, and has nicer maps. The policies are greatly pared back and only focus on the important stuff, so you won't get accused of violating WP:BYOP, WP:MONGO, WP:DEEF, and WP:FJORD every time you turn around. If you do Discord, we have a server that has a lot of overlap with the membership here as well as on the AARoads Wiki. All in all it's a much more chill, low-drama environment, one which I recommend over Wikipedia.

The only way any of my article changes stick is when I quote a different wikipedia page and then they are okay with changes.

index

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2024, 05:37:22 PM

Damn. I had no idea. That's both very disappointing and very stupid. I can see how an environment like that can easily make people feel all high and mighty about what they think should and shouldn't be on there.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

KCRoadFan

Recently, I made a Wikipedia article for the forum itself - and it was promptly deleted.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: KCRoadFan on February 26, 2024, 08:21:07 PM
Recently, I made a Wikipedia article for the forum itself - and it was promptly deleted.

TBF, I'm not aware of AARoads, muchless this forum, ever having met Wikipedia's criteria for "notability", even before the latest round of bs.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.