News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 99

Started by Chris, January 19, 2009, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Leif,

You are applying one of the unwritten rules of roadgeeking - "Hey! It looks cool on a map, so lets make these Interstate changes."

The I-83 southern extension was just a guy who usedto flood forums with that idea.  Just like another guy did with the "I-77 Southern Extension".

froggie

QuoteSo you're suggesting Virginia & North Carolina would not want I-99?

Virginia already studied it...came to the conclusion that it's too costly and there's opposition to it on the Eastern Shore.

leifvanderwall

Actually, I did think it looked cool on the map. In 2007, I drove US 29 from the VA 6 jct. to Greensboro, NC and I admit the traffic was not that heavy on it, but it was a great ride. The traffic was heaviest at Lynchburg and near Greensboro.

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 08, 2009, 11:22:00 PM

67 is closer ... as is 73, which at the time of 99's introduction did not yet exist in NC, I don't believe.

NC ought to give up on I-73. That route will never exist north of Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

leifvanderwall

I think NC is too committed . I mean it's kinda like have a finacee seeing three other men , but the groom wants to meet her at the altar anyways. It's also like every father's worst nightmare: his daughter brings her nose ring, partying, untucked shirt, lazy boyfriend to meet the grandparents. That is really what I-73 is? It's the one who was not quite invited to the party and the most likely to have terrible prank pulled on it.

CanesFan27

Ah no...considering the US Congress legislated I-73.  And that the only people that don't like the 73 or 99 designation pretty much reside in this forum.

leifvanderwall

Being very honest , I like the proposal of I-73. I just think it's in the wrong place. The US 23 corridor through the entire state of Ohio really should be I-73 and yes, I have been on it. The thing that I'm not so sure is about the US 52 corridor in West Virginia ; does it have the traffic on that stretch to qualify I-73/I-74 being built on it.

And I definitely don't like I-74 being it's dancing partner either. To me, it makes more sense for I-74 to follow US 50 from Ohio to Virginia and take over I-66 . Therefore I-66 in Kentucky would make more sense. To me, the roads that have the most controversy are I-97, I-99, I-73, and the extended I-74.

I think Michigan & Ohio would have liked to have I-73 (except the people on US 223) but both states are not too sure where the funding is going to come from and that's why they rejected it. It's too bad I-73 could not follow US 23 down the east side of Kentucky and go to Atlanta; then follow US 19 down to the Suncoast Pkwy and end in Tampa instead of Myrtle Beach. And then let I-74 be extended to Myrtle Beach by its lonesome. I think the US Congress messed up completely on I-73.

agentsteel53

who doesn't like 73?

it's 74 that boggles the mind!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

I-73 will never exist in West Virginia. Neither will I-74. The sections of US 52 that are being rebuilt are being built as a surface four-lane with at-grades and a few grade-separated interchanges. And that's all it ever needs to be. The surface four-lane US 23 in Kentucky and Virginia, which sort of parallels US 52, works fine as is.

Ian

I have another proposal for I-99 (did I mention this?). May be it could take over I-95 northeast of Boston and I-93 could become I-95. Then, all the I-x95 routes along the I-99 corridor, could become I-x99's. A little crazy, but just an idea. And for the freeway in which I-99 abandonned, could just be US 220 and US 15. Doesn't have to be an interstate. Though, the portion from the PA Turnpike to State College could become an I-x76.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Sykotyk

Well, if I-73 will never exist in WV, why not multiplex with 64/77 through the state. And if someday in the future WV wants to build up the US-52 corridor, it'd just be rerouted.

Sykotyk

hbelkins

Quote from: Sykotyk on October 12, 2009, 04:04:25 PM
Well, if I-73 will never exist in WV, why not multiplex with 64/77 through the state. And if someday in the future WV wants to build up the US-52 corridor, it'd just be rerouted.

Sykotyk

Where would I-73 go after it got to Charleston?

US 35, US 33 and US 52 are surface routes with at-grades, as is a lot of US 23 north of Columbus.

roadman65

Quote from: Sykotyk on October 12, 2009, 04:04:25 PM

Sykotyk

If I-73 got built from Saulte Ste. Marie to Huntington, yes it would be a way to connect the two other segments. Plus VDOT would have to hook up Roanoke to Princeton alongUS 460 which won't happen either. Hey we are lucky if Virginia at all will buildI-73 along US 220 between the NC line and I-581.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Snakes alive, this has to be an all-time record bump.  :-o

There's a bunch of more recent threads about I-99, not to mention the user being quoted hasn't logged in for over two years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.