News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 95 signing work

Started by roadman, March 06, 2012, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: kramie13 on August 08, 2019, 01:49:00 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on August 04, 2019, 03:58:34 PM
Drove on I-95 South yesterday, from Canton down to Exit 4/Attleboro.  No new signs to report (way to early in the project for that), but I did notice the little orange tags put up where a new overhead sign foundation will be located.

These orange tags are also along I-495 between exits 28 and 37, another section of interstate highway in MA that's due for sign replacement.

That's MassDOT Project # 607919, Guide and Traffic Sign Replacement on I-495 from Harvard to Lowell.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

MassDOT has placed an advertisement for the next I-95 sign replacement contract, from Lynnfield to Reading, Project 608205, with an estimated cost of $3.7 million. The winning bidder is to be announced on Jan. 22, 2020. The bid page is at: https://www.commbuys.com/bso/external/bidDetail.sdo?docId=BD-20-1030-0H100-0H002-43924&external=true&parentUrl=bid

The Ghostbuster

I assume the new Interstate 95 signs will retain the current sequential exit numbers while leaving space for mileage-based exit numbers, correct?

PHLBOS

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 23, 2019, 01:03:57 PM
I assume the new Interstate 95 signs will retain the current sequential exit numbers while leaving space for mileage-based exit numbers, correct?
For that particular stretch, I don't believe any extra spacing is needed for mile-marker-based exit numbers; i.e. no additional suffixed exit numbers will occur as a result of the conversion (if done).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 23, 2019, 01:03:57 PM

Correct.  Current MassDOT practice for sign replacement projects is to design exit tabs and gore signs to accommodate the wider of either the current sequential number or the future milepost based number.  However, as PHLBOS notes, the exit tabs on the replacement signs for this project should be able to accommodate the eventual milepost numbers without increasing the width.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Bumping this thread to note that, on Tuesday 1/21/20, MassDOT opened bids on Project 608205 - Reading to Lynnfield Fabrication and Installation of Overhead and Ground Mounted Guide and Traffic Signs on a Section of
Interstate 95.  The apparent low bidder is Liddell Brothers.  Contract completion date is 868 days from Notice to Proceed.

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on January 23, 2020, 10:03:53 AM
Bumping this thread to note that, on Tuesday 1/21/20, MassDOT opened bids on Project 608205 - Reading to Lynnfield Fabrication and Installation of Overhead and Ground Mounted Guide and Traffic Signs on a Section of
Interstate 95.  The apparent low bidder is Liddell Brothers.  Contract completion date is 868 days from Notice to Proceed.
Liddell also had the lowest bid for the recent US 1 and MA 28 sign replacement contracts. Given their track record, and that they are currently working on other projects, like I-95 Attleboro to Norwood and, perhaps still the eastern I-90 contract and probably others, can we reasonably expect all the these contracts to be completed on time? Will there be any coordination between each project and, where applicable, the exit renumbering project?

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on January 24, 2020, 12:01:12 PM
Liddell also had the lowest bid for the recent US 1 and MA 28 sign replacement contracts. Given their track record, and that they are currently working on other projects, like I-95 Attleboro to Norwood and, perhaps still the eastern I-90 contract and probably others, can we reasonably expect all the these contracts to be completed on time? Will there be any coordination between each project and, where applicable, the exit renumbering project?
Just noticed on the MassDOT project listing that the notice to proceed for the I-95 signing project above was given in late February. Work has also started on the US 1 project, but not on the MA 28 project, as of yet. Sign of limited resources by Liddell to do all the contracts at the same time?

DJ Particle

Quote from: bob7374 on May 02, 2020, 11:19:24 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on January 24, 2020, 12:01:12 PM
Just noticed on the MassDOT project listing that the notice to proceed for the I-95 signing project above was given in late February. Work has also started on the US 1 project, but not on the MA 28 project, as of yet. Sign of limited resources by Liddell to do all the contracts at the same time?
IIRC, the US-1 and MA-28 freeways aren't getting exit numbers at all, right?  In that case, they shouldn't need replacement, should they?  Since they were just replaced in the 2016 contracts?

roadman

US 1 Chelsea to Danvers was last resigned in 1999.  MA 28 Bourne to Falmouth was last resigned in 1996.  So yes, the existing panels on both roads are due for replacement.  And 2016 is the year in which the design contracts to prepare the plans and specifications for these projects, and not the construction contracts themselves, were initiated.

DJ Particle

Oh weird....I don't remember MA-28 having overhead signage.  Has it really been that long since I drove that stretch?  O.o

SectorZ

bob7374

Quote from: SectorZ on May 06, 2020, 07:39:10 AM
Quote from: DJ Particle on May 06, 2020, 01:58:11 AM
Oh weird....I don't remember MA-28 having overhead signage.  Has it really been that long since I drove that stretch?  O.o

Here's one of them, https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6449972,-70.6044335,3a,75y,20.96h,98.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siporOzj9h2e7TV329FF65g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Funny how those got by the same Cape people who objected to overhead signs on US 6. Or, perhaps they're fine with overheads as long as there are no potential exit numbers to change.

shadyjay

What's funnier is the signing replacement protocols/priorities, Mass VS CT.  CT replaced its first generation signs on most state expressways in the mid 1980s, and they haven't been replaced since (on CT 9 & CT 2).  The oldest signs in the state on the interstates date back to the mid 80s as well.  This, while US 1 is having its signs replaced that were last changed out just before the millennium. 

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on May 06, 2020, 12:12:34 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on May 06, 2020, 07:39:10 AM
Quote from: DJ Particle on May 06, 2020, 01:58:11 AM

Here's one of them, https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6449972,-70.6044335,3a,75y,20.96h,98.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siporOzj9h2e7TV329FF65g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Funny how those got by the same Cape people who objected to overhead signs on US 6. Or, perhaps they're fine with overheads as long as there are no potential exit numbers to change.
MA 28 has overhead signs only on the very short stretch of 'true' freeway south of Otis Rotary.  Only the signs at the exit ramps are posted overhead, the other advance signs are ground mounted.  As part of the new Bourne to Falmouth sign project, the overhead signs at these exits will be replaced with ground-mounted ones.  Also, the large BGS panels at the entrance ramps to 28 from connecting roads in this section will be replaced with smaller MA-D1-XX signs.

DJ Particle

Quote from: roadman on May 06, 2020, 11:07:15 PM
As part of the new Bourne to Falmouth sign project, the overhead signs at these exits will be replaced with ground-mounted ones.

Yeah, because f--- safety and visibility, right?  🤦🏻‍♀️

SectorZ

Quote from: DJ Particle on May 07, 2020, 01:10:30 AM
Quote from: roadman on May 06, 2020, 11:07:15 PM
As part of the new Bourne to Falmouth sign project, the overhead signs at these exits will be replaced with ground-mounted ones.

Yeah, because f--- safety and visibility, right?  🤦🏻‍♀️

That's OK the people on the Cape soon have bigger problems to worry about than how a sign is mounted.

(yet the signs and exit numbers will still be prioritized)

bob7374

I was able to obtain from Charlene White at MassDOT plans for the current I-95 Reading to Lynnfield sign replacement project, not a lot of changes to be seen, though did find it interesting that they decided to add a 2-miles advance signs northbound for the US 1/MA 129 exit, recent practice seems to limit those to interstate and other freeway exits:

as well as a diagrammatic one for the Route 128 exit:

Other sign plans can be seen on my I-95 in MA Gallery:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html

Ben114

Alps

Quote from: Ben114 on August 01, 2020, 06:29:24 AM

Interesting....
Not something I've ever dived into before, but a letter of support from FHWA seems to say that non-quarter mile increments are allowable. It specifically mentions 1/10 and 2/10 for short distances if needed.

J N Winkler

Quote from: bob7374 on July 31, 2020, 09:47:37 PM. . . as well as a diagrammatic one for the Route 128 exit:

No option lane?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Revive 755

Quote from: Alps on August 01, 2020, 07:50:54 AM
Not something I've ever dived into before, but a letter of support from FHWA seems to say that non-quarter mile increments are allowable. It specifically mentions 1/10 and 2/10 for short distances if needed.

I think you meant 'letter of interpretation.'

bob7374

MassDOT's latest project listing for the Attleboro to Norwood sign replacement project indicated the contractor was finished placing new regulatory and route signs and was about to start constructing foundations for overhead signs. I took a quick trip from Canton to Mansfield over the weekend to check out the new signs. A mixed bag as far as reassurance markers go. Shields size vary from current standard to a replication of some of the former wide shields placed along the corridor. For example, here's the new I-95 South reassurance marker after the MA 140 exit:

Further images and commentary on my I-95 in Mass. Photo Gallery, after the new sign plans posted for the Reading to Lynnfield section:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on August 03, 2020, 11:53:37 PMFor example, here's the new I-95 South reassurance marker after the MA 140 exit:

The more things change...  :D  I couldn't even tell that's a new sign. I guess that's how you keep series E letters.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Ben114 on August 01, 2020, 06:29:24 AM

Interesting....
It's worth noting that the proposed message, sans the distance listing, is a return to the 1988-era signs that listed Danvers & Lynn on the main panels.  Kudos IMHO.

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 01, 2020, 11:05:35 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on July 31, 2020, 09:47:37 PM. . . as well as a diagrammatic one for the Route 128 exit:

No option lane?
Such is mimicking the 1-mile advance diagrammatic sign that was erected several years ago. 

With regards to using a diagrammatic sign despite no available option lane; such is allowed (i.e. grandfathered) if supporting and/or predecessor interchange signage contained similar.  The original 1988-era signage featured such as well.

For some reason, MassDOT did not replace the current 2-mile sign when it replaced all the signs for the I-95/MA 128 interchange several years back.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.