Speed limit anomalies? (Fastest work zone, weird speeds, etc)

Started by colinstu, October 28, 2012, 01:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Roads inside the Hersheys Mill gated community subdivision in East Goshen Township (Chester County) PA has a posted speed limit of 27 mph.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hm insulators

Quote from: kphoger on October 30, 2012, 03:44:37 PM
I seem to recall a non-multiple-of-five speed limit on a truck weigh station in central Illinois, probably either I-64 or I-70 between Saint Louis and I-57 (or perhaps in another state entirely, as my memory of it is rather vague).  Can anyone confirm that an oddball speed limit does exist at a truck weigh station?

I've seen weigh stations in California where empty trucks use one lane and the speed limit is 5 mph, while loaded trucks use another lane and the speed limit is 3 mph.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MASTERNC

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 28, 2012, 10:13:51 PM
Maryland has had a few work zones with no reduction in speed on I-95, where the speed limit is 65.  This has been done even with lane closures.  Of course, both work zones had speed cameras.

That's the one saving grace with Maryland's photo enforcement - the speed limit often doesn't decrease (the biggest exception seems to be 70 MPH zones, where the speed limit is cut to 60 MPH).

sprjus4

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 23, 2021, 08:27:07 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on October 28, 2012, 10:13:51 PM
Maryland has had a few work zones with no reduction in speed on I-95, where the speed limit is 65.  This has been done even with lane closures.  Of course, both work zones had speed cameras.

That's the one saving grace with Maryland's photo enforcement - the speed limit often doesn't decrease (the biggest exception seems to be 70 MPH zones, where the speed limit is cut to 60 MPH).
I recall a reduced 55 mph work zone on I-81 last year with photo enforcement... then there's instances like 55 mph work zone photo enforcement limits on I-495 or I-695, where, technically the limit isn't reduced, but given the de facto limit is 65 or 70 mph (seriously, what is killing them to increase the speed limit on the Beltways? Traffic flows no differently on the 65 mph segments vs. the 55 mph segments in the Baltimore-Washington metro) and the flow is 75-80 mph, almost acts as one as everyone slams on their brakes to keep it under 65 mph (the 10 mph grace zone) through those areas.

SkyPesos

Ohio uses variable speed limits in work zones nowadays, and when there's no one working or the lane alterations aren't that much, they sometimes keep the "work zone"  speed limit at 70 mph.

TBKS1

Speed Limit 55 in a school zone, taken along US 49 near Beaumont, MS

US 49 through here is a four lane divided highway with a speed limit of 65 MPH, so I guess I can kinda understand this but this still seems really fast for being in a school zone.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TBKS1 on June 23, 2021, 08:42:01 PM
Speed Limit 55 in a school zone, taken along US 49 near Beaumont, MS

US 49 through here is a four lane divided highway with a speed limit of 65 MPH, so I guess I can kinda understand this but this still seems really fast for being in a school zone.
It is a divided highway I guess.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

GaryV

Since this thread has been revived, I'll chime in.

I went past a school zone 25 mph speed limit sign with a "when flashing" signal this week.  It was placed before the signalized crosswalk that would be used by neighborhood kids across the arterial road from the school, so that made sense.  But then just as you get to the school driveway, there is a regular 35 mph speed limit sign.  So the school limit doesn't apply in front of the school itself?  That makes little sense.  IMO the school zone should apply until the next signalized intersection where kids coming from the other direction would be crossing.

Then later this week I went past another school with a 25 mph sign and it was flashing.  Um, school's been out for a couple weeks now.  Who is supposed to turn that off?  I slowed down anyway, just in case one of our finest was a little behind on writing tickets.

US 89

Quote from: GaryV on June 24, 2021, 09:09:15 AM
Then later this week I went past another school with a 25 mph sign and it was flashing.  Um, school's been out for a couple weeks now.  Who is supposed to turn that off?  I slowed down anyway, just in case one of our finest was a little behind on writing tickets.

I remember a few years ago I was driving through Albuquerque and it seemed every single school zone light was flashing ... despite it being the day after Thanksgiving. It's even worse there because a lot of the school zone speed limits are 15 mph.

In many areas of the Salt Lake City metro area, the crossing guards still manually turn on the flashing lights.

Big John

I went past a school zone 25 mph speed limit sign with a "when flashing" signal this week.  It was placed before the signalized crosswalk that would be used by neighborhood kids across the arterial road from the school, so that made sense.  But then just as you get to the school driveway, there is a regular 35 mph speed limit sign.  So the school limit doesn't apply in front of the school itself?  That makes little sense.  IMO the school zone should apply until the next signalized intersection where kids coming from the other direction would be crossing.

MUTCD has guidelines to what a school zone is.  It definitely includes all the school property and a little bit beyond.

vdeane

The MUTCD also has "end school zone" signs, so conceivably you could put a regular speed limit sign in the middle of the school zone, and it wouldn't mean anything if the school zone was in effect at that time.  However, "end school zones" don't seem to be posted all that consistently, with most places still using the older method of just posting a regular sign, so they're presently of limited benefit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

What level schools do school zones end at? Middle School? High School?

SkyPesos

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 24, 2021, 12:45:58 PM
High School I guess? I see them frequently near high schools, and they're nonexistent near college campuses.

fillup420

Quote from: US 89 on June 24, 2021, 10:24:58 AM

I remember a few years ago I was driving through Albuquerque and it seemed every single school zone light was flashing ... despite it being the day after Thanksgiving. It's even worse there because a lot of the school zone speed limits are 15 mph.

In many areas of the Salt Lake City metro area, the crossing guards still manually turn on the flashing lights.

Oh you just reminded me about when I drove south down US 491 in NM. It seemed like at every crossroads, the speed limit would drop from down to 45 or even 35, only to resume 55 after the junction. I couldn't find an example on google, but i distinctly remember how annoying it was driving in NM

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 24, 2021, 01:17:35 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 24, 2021, 12:45:58 PM
High School I guess? I see them frequently near high schools, and they're nonexistent near college campuses.
I don't think that there is one near Needham High School.

mrsman

There is definitely a bit of a problem with the way the signs are posted.  If a school zone sign is posted, a regular speed limit sign should not be posted until after you clear the school's property.  And similarly with advisory speed limits, a regular speed limit should not be posted between the advisory speed limit warning of a curve and the curve itself.  A regular speed limit should be signed after clearing the curve.

Roadgeekteen

If a school zone speed limit is in place all the time it should just be a regular speed limit sign.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Big John on June 24, 2021, 12:29:31 PM

MUTCD has guidelines to what a school zone is.  It definitely includes all the school property and a little bit beyond.

It's pretty vague, though. I don't think it has to include anything in particular.
QuoteSchool Zone–a designated roadway segment approaching, adjacent to, and beyond school buildings or grounds, or along which school related activities occur.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jeffandnicole

I could name numerous schools in my county where the next signalized intersection would be several miles down the road. You may be correct in a city environment, but most schools are in more rural/suburban intersections where most intersections don't have traffic lights.

I imagine the controllers in those signs are pretty basic, much like a digital thermostat: The Day of Week and Time can be set, but little else. It takes someone going out there to turn it off manually. And they definitely won't do it for a single day off or a week's winter/spring break.

I would suspect that if a cop is issuing tickets when school isn't in session, that's gonna be a news making item real quick. I've never heard of this being an issue.

GaryV

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 25, 2021, 11:19:12 PM
I would suspect that if a cop is issuing tickets when school isn't in session, that's gonna be a news making item real quick. I've never heard of this being an issue.
I wouldn't put it past them.  I got a ticket once for parking in front of my house in a "snow emergency" when the street had already been plowed.  (I couldn't get into the driveway because of the mound of snow, and hadn't had time to shovel it out yet.)  Yes, that ticket got rescinded, but I had to go down to the police station to do so.  The lieutenant in charge wasn't amused.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 25, 2021, 11:19:12 PM
IMO the school zone should apply until the next signalized intersection where kids coming from the other direction would be crossing.

I could name numerous schools in my county where the next signalized intersection would be several miles down the road. You may be correct in a city environment, but most schools are in more rural/suburban intersections where most intersections don't have traffic lights.

Yes, in this case it was only a matter of about 3 blocks total.

kphoger

Now that some of the Oklahoma turnpikes have been bumped up to 80 mph, you can see a 65 mph minimum speed limit!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on July 08, 2021, 03:39:03 PM
Now that some of the Oklahoma turnpikes have been bumped up to 80 mph, you can see a 65 mph minimum speed limit!
Really? Is it signed? 65 is crazy high for a minimum.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 08, 2021, 05:07:06 PM

Quote from: kphoger on July 08, 2021, 03:39:03 PM

Really? Is it signed?

Yes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.