News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBKS1

I found a switch-up but it's not a shield, although it's a pretty subtle error (once again).

(Google Street View)

This should be AR 22, US 22 doesn't go through Arkansas lol

Guaranteed I'm going to post this in here and someone's going to tell me to move it to the other thread but it's whatever honestly.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

SkyPesos

Quote from: TBKS1 on November 04, 2021, 12:51:10 AM
I found a switch-up but it's not a shield, although it's a pretty subtle error (once again).

(Google Street View)

Guaranteed I'm going to post this in here and someone's going to tell me to move it to the other thread but it's whatever honestly.
US 22's alignment is approximately a WSW-ENE diagonal. Interestingly, if you continue the diagonal, it'll enter the northwest corner of Arkansas.

MikieTimT

Quote from: TBKS1 on November 04, 2021, 12:51:10 AM

(Google Street View)

I've used AR-96 numerous times and never noticed this, but always coming from Greenwood's downtown when doing so, so never really see this sign.  They actually got it right coming from the other direction, which is a left turn instead.

TBKS1

I don't get this one, I might need a bit of an explanation for this but there's obviously something off about this sign

Located along AR 94 northbound at the intersection of AR 340 just south of the Missouri state line

Missouri SR 44 doesn't exist, and I have no idea if this was a former highway or if it's meant to represent Interstate 44... but I-44 is nearly 50 miles away from this location, and it intersects other highways well before it. I don't get this one but I think it qualifies for this thread.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

US71

Quote from: TBKS1 on November 05, 2021, 02:10:56 AM
I don't get this one, I might need a bit of an explanation for this but there's obviously something off about this sign

Located along AR 94 northbound at the intersection of AR 340 just south of the Missouri state line

Missouri SR 44 doesn't exist, and I have no idea if this was a former highway or if it's meant to represent Interstate 44... but I-44 is nearly 50 miles away from this location, and it intersects other highways well before it. I don't get this one but I think it qualifies for this thread.

MO 44 is a former highway which was replaced when I-44 was designated. It's now Secondary Route F.  ArDOT apparently never got the memo.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jlam

The other day, as I was geocaching, I found this strange road sign along CO 392 while geocaching. I don't know why it exists.

TBKS1

Quote from: jlam on November 08, 2021, 10:49:08 AM
The other day, as I was geocaching, I found this strange road sign along CO 392 while geocaching. I don't know why it exists.

I don't get this one unless it's a location specific error

LilianaUwU

Quote from: TBKS1 on November 08, 2021, 01:54:17 PM

You can't junction the route you're on.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

TBKS1

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 08, 2021, 02:29:09 PM
Quote from: TBKS1 on November 08, 2021, 01:54:17 PM

You can't junction the route you're on.

OHHHH I literally didn't notice that, I thought the sign itself was an error apart from the road itself. That makes sense now.

hbelkins

Illinois is notorious for signing "JCT Both Routes" assemblies on concurrencies.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jlam

Quote from: hbelkins on November 08, 2021, 04:06:56 PM
Illinois is notorious for signing "JCT Both Routes" assemblies on concurrencies.
This is near the CO 257 concurrency in Windsor... maybe it was just placed in an incorrect location?

JayhawkCO

Another Colorado one.  I hadn't driven on I-70 East out of Denver in a while, and these signs are new.  Contractor mix-up.

(Supposed to be BL-70)

Chris

ErmineNotyours

Are sign colors important any more?

Big John

^^ Or are operations doing a slow pace? :bigass:

thenetwork

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 09, 2021, 03:28:06 PM
Another Colorado one.  I hadn't driven on I-70 East out of Denver in a while, and these signs are new.  Contractor mix-up.

(Supposed to be BL-70)

Chris

There's one similar to that (shield error) on EB I-70 going into Idaho Springs.  When there WAS a BL-70, it should've been a BL-70 shield.

ErmineNotyours

Another misapplied appearance of the Divided Highway Ahead sign:  Kirkland, WA

LilianaUwU

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on November 14, 2021, 09:48:58 PM

Speaking of which, here's a local example.
—Mr. Thwomp

Dirt Roads

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on November 14, 2021, 09:48:58 PM

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 14, 2021, 10:22:56 PM
Speaking of which, here's a local example.

But there is a legal difference between the Federal Highway Administration MUTCD and the MUTCD of Canada.  Here in the United States, the FHWA can and sometimes will withhold Federal funds when a Federal-funded project has blatantly failed to adhere to MUTCD standards, which are contractually-mandated regulations for such projects.  Transport Canada (the ministry of transportation, lower case intended) can certainly hold provincial Transport/Infrastructure agencies to those same standards, but the Transport Association of Canada (TAC) that administers the MUTCD Canada doesn't have any such authority.

paulthemapguy

Reminder that I have an entire folder of over 90 photos entitled "Nope Springs Eternal," full of traffic control fails.  Mostly it's signage.  Feel free to post any photos here in this thread if you have any specific comments.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskyzimkx
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

roadman65

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51686258545_e9cff0f939_k.jpg
The double turn sign blocking the view of the shields behind it is wrong.  Look at the pavement and the fact the shield behind it, says continuing straight is an option.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LilianaUwU

Quote from: roadman65 on November 16, 2021, 09:48:39 PM
The double turn sign blocking the view of the shields behind it is wrong.  Look at the pavement and the fact the shield behind it, says continuing straight is an option.

i was wondering why there was an intersection on an interstate until i realized it's a frontage road  :-|
—Mr. Thwomp

roadman65

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 16, 2021, 10:01:31 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 16, 2021, 09:48:39 PM

i was wondering why there was an intersection on an interstate until i realized it's a frontage road  :-|

You haven't been to Cheyenne, WY and drove I-180 😄

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

Northbound US-23 in Ann Arbor.  In reality, only the right lane exits to eastbound M-14.

Rothman

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 23, 2021, 01:24:30 AM
Northbound US-23 in Ann Arbor.  In reality, only the right lane exits to eastbound M-14.

Good one.  I drove through there a month ago or so and noticed that botch.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/gtjicYYsdBb3caDo8
This is NJ 29 since NJDOT and the City of Lambertville made S. Main Street a one way. So technically NJ 165 has a NB concurrency with Route 29.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.