Are topics about the forum itself banned?

Started by webny99, December 21, 2017, 06:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marf

Quote from: kphoger on December 26, 2017, 02:18:16 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 26, 2017, 02:11:44 PM
Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 02:07:00 PM
Okay, can we get a ban now?  :banghead:

You want to be banned?   :hmmm: :hmmm:

Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 02:16:01 PM
:bigass: (I meant webny, if you were not sarcastic)

Always be specific.

And, since we're apparently doing the smiley thing lately...     :fight:

Here are all of the smileys in one post:

:poke: :angry: :sombrero: :colorful: :confused: :wow: :-/ :cool: :-o :rolleyes: :ded: :-D :D :) :-| :love: :no: :pan: :crazy: :-( X-( :sleep: :-P :paranoid:  ;-) :nod: :biggrin: :eyebrow: :spin: :clap: :banghead: :coffee: :meh: :hmmm: :wave: :awesomeface: :bigass:

Anyway, could we please have some more input on webny?
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Marf

Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

kphoger

Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 02:21:03 PM

You missed some, including the one I used.

We should form a subcommittee.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Marf

Quote from: kphoger on December 26, 2017, 02:33:56 PM

You missed some, including the one I used.

We should form a subcommittee.

:cheers: /s

US71

Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 02:31:37 PM
As to whether he is a troll or not.

I didn't know you were a Moderator? Usually the Moderators decide if someone is trolling and whether they should be warned, suspended, or banned.   :-|
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Marf

Quote from: roadguy2 on December 26, 2017, 02:02:06 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 26, 2017, 12:41:19 PM
Happy holidays all and thanks for keeping me entertained. So far I have a 5-0 record for getting the reaction I wanted out of threads like this  :bigass:

Quote from: webny99 on December 26, 2017, 12:47:00 PM
So you're confirming you're a troll? GTFO.

Not at all. Rather, you are confirming that you haven't read the OP. I explicitly stated that I expected a good reaction, and that I got.

According to Wikipedia, a troll is:

Quote from: Wikipedia
a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.

Although you aren't really "sowing discord" , you're pushing the members of this forum around to see if you can get a reaction out of them, for your own amusement.

Everyone else besides you and kphoger seems to be in agreement.

EDIT: From the dictionary: "A person who intentionally antagonizes others online by posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content." Webny's post was irrelevant.

kphoger

Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 02:37:50 PM

Wait, what?  Did I actually comment on whether or not you're a troll?  If so, that wasn't my intention.

I am not a moderator but, IMHO, starting topics just to get a rise out of everyone is easy grounds for having the topic locked.  Doing it more than once is easy grounds for getting a warning from a mod.  Bragging about it is reasonable grounds for suspension.  Keeping it up after suspension is reasonable grounds for a ban.

No one gets to poke a bear and then complain about the medical bill.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Marf

Quote from: kphoger on December 26, 2017, 02:44:26 PM

Wait, what?  Did I actually comment on whether or not you're a troll?  If so, that wasn't my intention.

I am not a moderator but, IMHO, starting topics just to get a rise out of everyone is easy grounds for having the topic locked.  Doing it more than once is easy grounds for getting a warning from a mod.  Bragging about it is reasonable grounds for suspension.  Keeping it up after suspension is reasonable grounds for a ban.

Okay, so it is only you who does not think that obvious trolls should be banned. Like this one.

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 06:33:43 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 23, 2017, 05:46:54 PM
Not everything they do is a moderator action.
It seems to me it is, unless trolls are controlling their accounts

Quote from: kphoger on December 26, 2017, 10:46:59 AM
Now.  Having said all of that, I should also point out that the quoted comment could have been made with tongue in cheek.  I did, after all, snip out the 'bigass' smiley.  Plus, an action done by a moderator is by definition a moderator action.  I could be making a mountain out of a molehill.  But, be that as it may, I stand by my words and I won't delete this post.

I had committed not to post again in this thread. But, out of fairness and respect and justice, I will confirm your last paragraph, in particular the bolded statement. I thought that would have been obvious, but I would never use that smiley unless I intended my post as humor. Nor would I disrespect the moderators without a really good reason.

Happy holidays all and thanks for keeping me entertained. So far I have a 5-0 record for getting the reaction I wanted out of threads like this  :bigass:

hotdogPi

Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 02:49:08 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 26, 2017, 02:44:26 PM

Okay, so it is only you who does not think that obvious trolls should be banned. Like this one.

kphoger is saying to ban temporarily first, then ban permanently if they continue. I agree with this.

There is precedent for this. Our most persistent troll, dzlsabe, was temporarily banned several times before being permanently banned.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Marf

Alrighty then, let's shut him up for a month. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

kphoger

This is not a democracy.  Moderators exist so that things like this don't come to a vote.

It would be nice if this thread could actually get back to the topic (the "waits for the explosion" comment in the OP notwithstanding) of what level of questioning is tolerated by members in thread form, and stop being about our personal opinion of a specific user.
Male pronouns, please.

corco

Who needs moderators when we have a marferator?

Marf

Let's dissect all of his posts in this thread to show his troll nature:

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 06:47:18 PM
For example, "Wow, the forum was rather slow and boring while I was away :bigass:"

This is a legitimate question - I could not find anything explicitly mentioned in the rules.

Also, did I miss something interesting, about "Maine Highway Fridays"  :confused:

[webny99 sits back and waits for the explosion]

This post is troll execpt for the second line, which is intended to convince people that he is not a troll. It is a legit question, but covered in bullshit for him to use.

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 04:44:11 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 23, 2017, 11:27:49 AM
There's a lot of questions about the forums. Different subtopics, rearranging regions, etc. They are certainly welcomed...even if people don't agree with them.

But this isn't a personal blog.  You can write on your blog "I was away for a week and nothing happened". On a public forum where lots happened but maybe not in topics that you care about, it's a bit rude to act is if you're the life of the party.

I'd be interested in your definition of "lots". Feel free to parse through the statistics. I don't think I'm the life of the party, but I did provide us with our first 500-post day, and have started a host of interesting topics. I'm sorry if you interpreted it as rudeness. ":bigass:" is basically a synonym for [humor] around here, as I presume you knew. However, I was always taught to choose my battles wisely, so I will not argue further about my contributions. I think they speak for themselves.

This is him gloating and trying to recant his previous statements.

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 05:31:13 PM
Quote from: Marf on December 23, 2017, 04:58:00 PM
Webny, this forum is not that popular. That being said the mods do not have an active presence here. Just try to keep this stuff in this board. And no, you are not the life of the party unless you call deleted posts interesting.

I don't think I'm the life of the party

And yes, the mods do have an active presence no matter how you define it.

Here, he is trying to change the subject.

Quote from: Marf on December 23, 2017, 05:45:18 PM
Also, why did you delete a bunch of posts?

No matter how I answer that, it will spark controversy, so I'm not going to answer it at all. I have a lot of history here, considering I only joined in May. If others want to give you their take on why I deleted 380 posts, they may do so at their leisure.

It seems to me it is, unless trolls are controlling their accounts  :bigass:

I cannot figure out what he means here.

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 09:47:45 PM
Facts can be stated in such a way that they are not bragging. Bragging is defined as excessively proud or boastful talk. My above sentence was neither. It was not even a complex sentence, it was a bare-bones fact.

In any case, in the light of the OP, it would be utter folly to say anything else in my defense, so I will not.

He is clearly wrong and is saying that because he shitposts that people should not scrutinize him.

Now.  Having said all of that, I should also point out that the quoted comment could have been made with tongue in cheek.  I did, after all, snip out the 'bigass' smiley.  Plus, an action done by a moderator is by definition a moderator action.  I could be making a mountain out of a molehill.  But, be that as it may, I stand by my words and I won't delete this post.

I had committed not to post again in this thread. But, out of fairness and respect and justice, I will confirm your last paragraph, in particular the bolded statement. I thought that would have been obvious, but I would never use that smiley unless I intended my post as humor. Nor would I disrespect the moderators without a really good reason.

This is pure troll.

Quote from: webny99 on December 26, 2017, 12:45:38 PM
I don't intend to get banned. I'm not that foolish. If I was that foolish, I would have kept both of my accounts. Plus, why would I invite the mods to ban me? I am a true roadgeek and I think I've provided more than sufficient evidence of that.

(And, re: comments upthread - the reason I had two accounts was not to troll, but rather, so that I could use a different username. I know now that it is possible to PM a moderator to change it, but did not know that at the time.)

More trolling and trying to cover for himself.

Does this look like an innocent user? No. This looks like a troll.

kphoger

Quote from: corco on December 26, 2017, 03:11:21 PM
Who needs moderators when we have a marferator?

"Moderator" sort of rhymes with "Carburetor."  And cars with carburetors didn't disappear from showroom floors until decades after fuel injection was introduced.  Moderators will give may to Marferators only if the market demands it.
Male pronouns, please.

Marf

kphoger

Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 03:15:13 PM

No matter how I answer that, it will spark controversy, so I'm not going to answer it at all. I have a lot of history here, considering I only joined in May. If others want to give you their take on why I deleted 380 posts, they may do so at their leisure.

Then you didn't read this post, where he confirmed my interpretation of it.

Male pronouns, please.

Marf

Then you didn't read this post, where he confirmed my interpretation of it. (Particularly the bolded section)

Marf

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 24, 2017, 02:34:09 PM
Wait, some of you think that the only thing the staff do here is moderate?  :crazy:

Yeah, that might have been the second-most uninformed post I've ever read on this site, with the sole exception being the Alanland OP.  As tough of an environment as this forum can get to be sometimes, I have the utmost respect for the moderators and administrators of the site, and I have never once gotten the impression they were just a bunch of jail masters.  In fact, they do so much apart from mod/admin activity that I frequently forget who's a mod and who's not.  I've only been to one meet, but I honestly couldn't even tell you if there was a mod with me or not; that's partly because I'm bad at names, but it's also because I honestly didn't care.  The mods and admins on this site are "just one of the guys" who happen to have made a commitment to make this thing run well.

A user only having been on the site for a few months can get a skewed view of things, perhaps.  Maybe the mods weren't as active as they had been recently, maybe they were only contributing in other threads, maybe there was a whole bunch of crap going on that needed moderator action.  Whatever.  I can't imagine being a new-ish member of any forum and presuming to cast judgment upon the moderators; that strikes me as an immature action, done by one who has a bit to learn about humility and respect, done by one who thinks everything is about him.

Now.  Having said all of that, I should also point out that the quoted comment could have been made with tongue in cheek.  I did, after all, snip out the 'bigass' smiley.  Plus, an action done by a moderator is by definition a moderator action. I could be making a mountain out of a molehill.  But, be that as it may, I stand by my words and I won't delete this post.

* kphoger offers all the moderators and administrators a virtual beer in appreciation of their work.  Merry Christmas and thank you, guys!   :cheers:

Congrats, you have just posted the stupidest statement this thread!

kphoger

Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 03:15:13 PM
Let's dissect all of his posts in this thread to show his troll nature:

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2017, 06:47:18 PM
For example, "Wow, the forum was rather slow and boring while I was away :bigass:"

This is a legitimate question - I could not find anything explicitly mentioned in the rules.

Also, did I miss something interesting, about "Maine Highway Fridays"  :confused:

[webny99 sits back and waits for the explosion]

This post is troll execpt for the second line, which is intended to convince people that he is not a troll. It is a legit question, but covered in bullshit for him to use.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 23, 2017, 11:27:49 AM
There's a lot of questions about the forums. Different subtopics, rearranging regions, etc. They are certainly welcomed...even if people don't agree with them.

But this isn't a personal blog.  You can write on your blog "I was away for a week and nothing happened". On a public forum where lots happened but maybe not in topics that you care about, it's a bit rude to act is if you're the life of the party.

I'd be interested in your definition of "lots". Feel free to parse through the statistics. I don't think I'm the life of the party, but I did provide us with our first 500-post day, and have started a host of interesting topics. I'm sorry if you interpreted it as rudeness. ":bigass:" is basically a synonym for [humor] around here, as I presume you knew. However, I was always taught to choose my battles wisely, so I will not argue further about my contributions. I think they speak for themselves.

This is him gloating and trying to recant his previous statements.

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 05:31:13 PM
Quote from: Marf on December 23, 2017, 04:58:00 PM
Webny, this forum is not that popular. That being said the mods do not have an active presence here. Just try to keep this stuff in this board. And no, you are not the life of the party unless you call deleted posts interesting.

I don't think I'm the life of the party

And yes, the mods do have an active presence no matter how you define it.

Here, he is trying to change the subject.

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 09:47:45 PM
Facts can be stated in such a way that they are not bragging. Bragging is defined as excessively proud or boastful talk. My above sentence was neither. It was not even a complex sentence, it was a bare-bones fact.

In any case, in the light of the OP, it would be utter folly to say anything else in my defense, so I will not.

He is clearly wrong and is saying that because he shitposts that people should not scrutinize him.

This is pure troll.

Quote from: webny99 on December 26, 2017, 12:45:38 PM
I don't intend to get banned. I'm not that foolish. If I was that foolish, I would have kept both of my accounts. Plus, why would I invite the mods to ban me? I am a true roadgeek and I think I've provided more than sufficient evidence of that.

(And, re: comments upthread - the reason I had two accounts was not to troll, but rather, so that I could use a different username. I know now that it is possible to PM a moderator to change it, but did not know that at the time.)

More trolling and trying to cover for himself.

Does this look like an innocent user? No. This looks like a troll.

No, I think that statement is the stupidest.    :hmm:

On a less snarky note, to which specific statement were you referring?
Male pronouns, please.

Marf

Quote from: kphoger on December 26, 2017, 03:45:13 PM

The bolded one

webny99

It is against the forum rules to quote PM's!

I could care less, but hey, now it's out there: I'm not a troll! Everyone knew that anyways!
If it will help the situation, I apologize for my wackiness, which I do find quite amusing.

Marf

Quote removed. Summary: "I am sorry for mentioning you (VERY irrelevantly), but I am not a troll, but I will brag about my accomplishments but not tell you."

Also against the rules? This: No Sock-Puppeting. This is cloning yourself with a second username; one per member will suffice.

kphoger

Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 03:47:08 PM

The bolded one

What's stupid about it?  Moderators don't stop being moderators when they participate in normal discussion.  It's a reasonable discussion to have–whether a post made by a mod about a user should be considered official or not.

Quote from: webny99 on December 26, 2017, 03:48:54 PM
I could care less

That means you care.  If you didn't care, then you couldn't care less.

I'm not a troll! Everyone knew that anyways!

I'm still not convinced.

If it will help the situation, I apologize for my wackiness, which I do find quite amusing.

Calling a pig a rose doesn't make it smell any sweeter.
Male pronouns, please.

Marf

Quote from: kphoger on December 26, 2017, 03:56:29 PM
Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 03:47:08 PM

The bolded one

What's stupid about it?  Moderators don't stop being moderators when they participate in normal discussion.  It's a reasonable discussion to have–whether a post made by a mod about a user should be considered official or not.

It is just so obvious. No harm intended!  :bigass:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.