News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Any interest in a US 460 Pikeville, KY/Grundy, VA meet in late October?

Started by hbelkins, September 02, 2013, 09:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Drove down to Pikeville and Grundy today to check out construction on the new US 460 corridor, and I think there's enough to see to make a decent meet and tour.

So, anyone interested?

I'm looking at either Oct. 19 or Oct. 26, which should give an added bonus of pretty fall foliage, especially in the Breaks Interstate Park area.

The tour would involve the Pikeville Cut-Through Overlook, the recently-finished interchange for US 23/119 and US 460, bridge construction in several spots in Kentucky and Virginia, and a drive through Grundy, which is completely unrecognizable from the last time I was there a few years ago.

I doubt we'd get the 20+ who attended the Ashland meet this spring, but if enough people show interest to make it worthwhile, I'll do a meet.

I'd like to get something scheduled in the next couple of weeks, so sound off.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Either date is ok with me, just have to get Friday off. The 26 is the day before mine and Steph's wedding anniversary (12 years) but that has not stopped us in the past from going to a road meet around our anniversary (Kalamazoo 2 years ago) and if Steph can at least get Saturday off. Also we are 100% going to the Cinncy meet on the 12th, we will see.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Takumi

Interested, but won't be able to make it either day. I'll be financially reloading on the 19th (halfway between my Skyline Drive trip and the Wilmington meet) and work the 26th.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

getemngo

Will consider it, but only if someone else from Michigan goes too. My car now stays within a 3 hour radius of home.
~ Sam from Michigan

froggie

I'll have to pass.  Still at sea on the 19th, and already booked the 26th.  Plus still looking at the feasibility of when to do the previously-discussed DC and Hampton Roads meets.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on September 02, 2013, 11:40:37 PM
I'll have to pass.  Still at sea on the 19th, and already booked the 26th.  Plus still looking at the feasibility of when to do the previously-discussed DC and Hampton Roads meets.

I remember you had mentioned wanting to get back to that area several months ago. If you decide to travel that way, let me know and I will be glad to meet you and explore some of the territory.

seicer

I had no idea an interchange was built for US 23/119 and US 460. I thought that was to be a later phase after the entire highway was completed. That's a welcome change, for once.

hbelkins

A.J. Bertin

I'm interested and will consider this. However, I wouldn't be able to go on October 19. October 26 is a strong possibility for me.  :D
-A.J. from Michigan

codyg1985

I am very interested in this!

The 19th would be best for me, since I have a wedding and the PE exam on the 25th and 26th of October.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Right now, the most popular of the two dates put forth is Oct. 19. I know there are some people who can come on the 19th but not the 26th, and vice versa, but as of now the 19th is leading. I'm still looking for input before I decide: a.) whether or not to do a meet, and b.) if I do, which date I pick. I've queried Facebook, AA Roads, the Roadgeek mailing and misc.transport.road for feedback.

Lunch would probably be at Reno's Roadhouse (site of the first Pikeville meet I did eight years ago) at 11 or 11:30 a.m. EDT.

jpi

Looks like the 19th will work out best for me, Steph is backing out of this one since we are taking off the whole weekend for cinncinatti but I just need to take Friday the 148th off and I am good to go.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

If I have any shot of going, it's the 19th, since I leave for Australia on the 26th. I won't rule it out yet.

Laura

I am super interested in this meet. I really want to see the construction, finish my US 460 clinch in Virginia and want to clinch counties out there. The 19th would work perfectly. Mike and I will be in Lynchburg, Virginia that Friday for the Lynchburg College Homecoming (particularly for the Outdoor Leadership Program reunion) and can swing over for the meet. We can't do the 26th.

jpi

HMM, HB looks like the 19th may be the preferred date ;-) I know I am a go.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

Maybe.  I'll have to see.  Being in Blacksburg I'm not too far away.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Is this happening for sure? I'm up to a 20% chance of attendance.

hbelkins

And I'm up to a 90 percent chance of it happening on Oct. 19. Will decide and announce within a day or two.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.