News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Reminder - Baltimore Road Meet - April 17

Started by Alps, April 02, 2010, 06:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on April 14, 2010, 06:35:14 AM
Given the expected numbers on Saturday, you might want to consider splitting up the tour part into two separate groups.

Or make up and print out maps for everyone to use so everyone will know what the next stop is in case some get separated from the rest.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeek Adam

My suggestion is this.

Let's have that each car has a person who uses the cell phone (for whoever's riding in who's car) and at that point, if someone gets lost, we'll call someone else and get it. Its like a circle of cells (1 in each car).
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

froggie

I like HBE's suggestion better.  That's what I did for the DC meet, and it worked well.

But the other thing to consider is that if we have a large number of people on the tour, that'll require a large number of vehicles.  And then you run into parking issues at the tour stops, especially within the urban core.  Hence why it might be a good idea to split the tour into two (or more) completely separate groups.

Alps

I've planned the tour stops (3 total) in places that should have plenty of, or at least enough, parking for about 8-10 vehicles.  There will only be one tour group.  I'm collecting cell phone numbers now - I'll be the point person for people getting lost etc.

Ian

If carpooling is going to be an option during the meet, our car cannot fit another person in.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

I always ride with someone anyway, since there's no room in my truck, unless I'm breaking off from the tour early to head out. That won't be a problem this time since I plan to spend Saturday night in La Vale (near Cumberland.)

Although my attendance probability is now about 50-50 due to a sick critter. Most likely I'll just be driving up on Friday instead of doing an extra day of exploring and county-collecting. Looks like clinching Maryland and New Jersey will have to wait for the proposed Philly meet weekend.

rawmustard

Quote from: PennDOTFan on April 14, 2010, 07:40:00 PM
If carpooling is going to be an option during the meet, our car cannot fit another person in.

What we should insist on is that we use whichever vehicles will fit the most comfortably. If we can have it so there's 5 per vehicle (know that mine should), that would be ideal. If they could figure how to handle 100+ vehicles on tours in the 1910s, we should have no problem at all almost a century later.

froggie

QuoteIf they could figure how to handle 100+ vehicles on tours in the 1910s, we should have no problem at all almost a century later.

Traffic's gotten a bit thicker over the past century...:)

We used 3 vehicles during the DC meet.  Trying to use anything more than 5 would have been impossible given the parking limitations at a couple of the stops.

Roadgeek Adam

I have to be careful whoever's car I am in. I'm having a lot more problems due to my height and weight, getting in and out of cars, especially short ones.
Adam Seth Moss

Chris

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on April 14, 2010, 04:43:44 PM
My suggestion is this.

Let's have that each car has a person who uses the cell phone (for whoever's riding in who's car) and at that point, if someone gets lost, we'll call someone else and get it. Its like a circle of cells (1 in each car).

You better have a roadmeet in the 1970's and use them CB's! :)

yanksfan6129

Um, I think that my dad and I are going to use our car...just 2 of us.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Chris on April 15, 2010, 02:49:47 PM
My suggestion is this.

Hah yeah. Play a little Convoy there, don't you think?
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

I'm going to do my best to encourage 4 per car.  And strongly discourage 2 per car.  One of our three meet stops will only have parking for about 7-8 cars at most, so we can't have a convoy of 10.

hbelkins

I'm having to send my regrets and won't be attending. Some things have come up at home that preclude my traveling and my attendance. Hope you guys have fun!

Dougtone

Road meets are never the same without you, H.B.

Dougtone

Quote from: Chris on April 15, 2010, 02:49:47 PM
My suggestion is this.

I think walkie talkies have been used during road meet tours before, but not CBs.

hbelkins

Quote from: dougtone on April 16, 2010, 08:53:04 PM
Road meets are never the same without you, H.B.

Very sick moogie. She may not be around much longer and I have to be in Louisville for three days next week. Figured it was best if I stayed close to home this weekend.

Roadgeek Adam

Just got home from the meet. We have a record-setting attendee record and it turned out well :)
Adam Seth Moss

hbelkins

I'm glad you guys had a good time. I'm sorry I couldn't be there. We had to put our 12-year-old cat, Dahlia, to sleep today. The vet found cancer earlier in the week and by the time she started showing symptoms, it was too late to do anything for her except keep her from suffering.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on April 17, 2010, 08:04:08 PM
Just got home from the meet. We have a record-setting attendee record and it turned out well :)
From the department of redundancy department :happy:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Quote from: PennDOTFan on April 18, 2010, 11:30:21 AM
For anyone who wants to see them, here are my photos from the meet:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/BaltimoreRoadMeet41710#

http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/BaltimoreRoadMeet41710#5461290288869857170
Those shields have been there since at least 1993 (when I first saw them). Neutered the whole time too.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/BaltimoreRoadMeet41710#5461290068764380354
Definitely original. The few I-395 MD shields around are from its original completion in 1982. The Clearview guide signs however, are the third versions used for the route. Signs were still vastly button copy in 1993, but replaced by the mid-1990s.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/BaltimoreRoadMeet41710#5461289439091391138
These were hand painted shields in 2004: https://www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic/maryland001/us-040_wb_at_md-151_wb.jpg

Please tell me that right-hand panel is a temporary configuration:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/BaltimoreRoadMeet41710#5461289351589667522

Those bore (just another word for tunnel) signs are new to me:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/BaltimoreRoadMeet41710#5461290421885996338

Glad you got these photos posted so quickly!

mefailenglish

agentsteel53

Quote from: mefailenglish on April 18, 2010, 06:12:03 PM
The 70N sign is gone?   :-(

they're both gone?  There used to be two, on consecutive blocks.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.