News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Charleston, SC road meet... how about November?

Started by wriddle082, July 22, 2011, 05:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wriddle082

Just wanted to gauge interest in a road meet I am thinking of hosting in Charleston, SC.  The primary attraction of the meet would, of course, be the Arthur Ravenel Bridge, and we would also probably tour other notable area bridges.  I figured November would be the best time, since I'm assuming temperatures won't be extremely cool just yet since it's south of the Fall Line.  The meeting place would either be Hyman's Seafood in Downtown Charleston (supposedly the best seafood in SC), or possibly someplace in the Shems Creek area of Mt. Pleasant, SC (several seafood restaurants in that area, all situated along the creek where they receive fresh seafood straight from the fishing boats).  We would meet on a Saturday at 11 AM, and at this point I am free any weekend in November except maybe the 12th since that's my mother's birthday, so I need date suggestions!

OracleUsr

I could make that then, far as I know.  Let me know the official date and location and I'll consider it.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

hbelkins

Far too early to commit, but I'd certainly be willing. New South Carolina counties!

One thing to consider -- the change of daylight-saving time back to standard time the first weekend of November. The very first weekend of the month would give more daylight for a tour.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Only chance I'd have is Thanksgiving weekend, but I doubt it'll work out that way.

wriddle082

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2011, 08:00:06 PM
Far too early to commit, but I'd certainly be willing. New South Carolina counties!

One thing to consider -- the change of daylight-saving time back to standard time the first weekend of November. The very first weekend of the month would give more daylight for a tour.

That's a good point, H.B., I'll probably lean towards making it that weekend.

I don't want to make it in October due to a family vacation I will be taking during the first week, and then a week after that a certain roadgeek friend of ours in Raleigh, NC will be getting married.

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 23, 2011, 04:46:23 PM
I don't want to make it in October due to a family vacation I will be taking during the first week, and then a week after that a certain roadgeek friend of ours in Raleigh, NC will be getting married.

I knew he'd gotten engaged, but didn't know that a date had been set.

wriddle082

OK, been thinking about this one for a while, and I've come up with this:

Date:  Either Saturday October 29th or Saturday November 5th (DST ends on 11/6, so either date would allow more daylight in the late afternoon)

Time:  Try to arrive no later than 11 AM so we're there right at opening time.  I'm shooting for 10:30-10:45 myself.

Place:  Hyman's Seafood http://www.hymanseafood.com (voted best seafood in SC year after year, plus good prices), 215 Meeting St., Charleston, SC  29401.  Parking would be in the nearby Charleston Place Garage (they do not validate, but hopefully lunch won't take a real long time), and the website says there's a parking garage behind the building, not sure if that's the one they're referring to.

Highlights:  The main attraction will be the US 17 Arthur Ravenel Bridge over the Cooper and Wando Rivers, completed in 2005, featuring 8 travel lanes and a pedestrian walkway along the southern edge.  Other possible highlights include:
* Construction along US 17 in Mt. Pleasant to add lanes and build an interchange at Bowman Rd.
* One of only a handful of "Green" 3di interstates (Business Spur 526)
* The Isle of Palms Connector (SC 517 causeway from Mt. Pleasant to Isle of Palms over the Intercoastal Waterway)
* The I-526 bridge over the Cooper River, a steel through truss constructed in the 1990's (don't see too many of those of recent construction these days).
* The SC 30 freeway on the SW side of Charleston leading to James Island.  The stub ending of this freeway is slated to loop around to the US 17/I-526 interchange in the future, but may be an at-grade boulevard instead of a freeway.

We can play it by ear as to how many of the other highlights everyone would like to see.

So who's interested?

And aside from starting a new thread on here with the firm information, and sending out event invites on Facebook, what other way should I advertise this meet?  I've pretty much given up on m.t.r. like many others on here have, and I guess the roadgeek group on Yahoo is still up and running, but I take it seroads isn't around anymore?  Haven't been active much in Yahoo groups.

froggie

I'm interested, but if I can make it, it'd have to be the 5th. I have duty on the 29th.

CanesFan27

I would be good for the 5th.  We are most likely running the Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon in Wilmington the next day - so I'd probably exit the side tour at some point.

hbelkins

The 5th would work best for me. I'm going to try to do either Wisconsin on Oct. 1 or Wheeling the following weekend, if not both. I'll have an extra vacation day for November which I would definitely need should I head to SC.

And yes, the Roadgeek Yahoo group is still very much alive. Some fellow from eastern Kentucky is moderating it now...

Janko Dialnice

Quote from: hbelkins on September 06, 2011, 03:40:52 PM
I'm going to try to do either Wisconsin on Oct. 1 or Wheeling the following weekend, if not both.

Wheeling? When was this scheduled? I didn't see anything about it on this forum or on Facebook.
That might be an idea for me, since Watertown is a no-go, now.

PAHighways

Quote from: JohnnyH1972 on September 08, 2011, 10:00:27 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 06, 2011, 03:40:52 PM
I'm going to try to do either Wisconsin on Oct. 1 or Wheeling the following weekend, if not both.

Wheeling? When was this scheduled? I didn't see anything about it on this forum or on Facebook.
That might be an idea for me, since Watertown is a no-go, now.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=148094381941657

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.