News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Mineral King Road

The downhill view:

IMG_7242 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The 1923 Kaweah River Bridge:

IMG_7311 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The 1898 flume hanging overhead:

IMG_7316 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Sequoia Forest Road 14s75 in Redwood Canyon:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

formulanone

Three from last week:

Somewhere in the woods northwest of Bogalusa, Louisiana:

US 51 near Bogue Chito, Mississippi:

Natchez Trace near Thomastown, Mississippi:

US 89

This might be one of my favorites in the eastern US. North Avenue (US 29/78/278) in Atlanta, approaching the Midtown area with the Bank of America Tower (locally known as the Pencil Building) in the background:

Max Rockatansky

Been a busy week in the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains:

I took this photo from near the top of Onion Valley Road (former CA 180) looking downward into Owens Valley.  There was a lot of smoke around from the fire in the Golden Trout Wilderness:

And a panoramic version of the same view:

IMG_2975 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

US 395 southbound approaching CA 203 near Mammoth Lakes:

CA 14 southbound in Red Rock Canyon:

CA 158 June Lake Loop:

Lundy Lake Road:

Old Big Oak Flat Road (former CA 140) in Tuolumne Grove:

IMG_1798 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Tioga Pass Road from Olmstead Point facing Tenaya Lake:

IMG_1937 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 120 descending Lee Vining Canyon:

IMG_2108 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Horseshoe Meadows Road (former CA 190)

IMG_3257 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_3367 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 07, 2020, 04:33:39 PM
I've been showing off this photo I took of I-280 in San Francisco as an example that these recent ghost freeway photos might not be as legit as reported.  This was taken on a normal Sunday morning in February last year:

I remember years ago the TransAmerica Pyramid used to be visible from that vantage point but thats now covered up by the Salesforce tower.

Max Rockatansky

Some photos from yesterday.

24% downhill ahead on CA 4 east at the junction with CA 207:

IMG_4036 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 4 at Pacific Grade Summit

IMG_4121 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 4 Cadillac Curve

IMG_4138 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 89 Monitor Creek

IMG_4274 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 89 Monitor Pass and the Leviathan Lookout Tower

IMG_4292 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 89 descending Monitor Pass towards the fire in Coleville on US 395

IMG_4322 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

26% uphill on CA 108 eastbound

IMG_4405 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 108 Sonora Pass

IMG_4524 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 108 westbound descending from Sonora Pass via Deadman's Creek

IMG_4549 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

kphoger

Those are some great ones, Max Rockatansky.

I'm fond of centerline-perspective highway shots, and yours is especially nice–would be even better if you cropped off part of the sky.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2020, 10:26:42 AM

I'm fond of centerline-perspective highway shots, and yours is especially nice–would be even better if you cropped off part of the sky.

I agree, these are great photos. Although I personally enjoy the sky being in the photos. Being from the NW, where totally blue skies are really only common part of the year, I find them spectacular and love any photo with them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on September 04, 2020, 03:20:54 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2020, 10:26:42 AM

I agree, these are great photos. Although I personally enjoy the sky being in the photos. Being from the NW, where totally blue skies are really only common part of the year, I find them spectacular and love any photo with them.

I'm kind of a sky fan myself which I think tends to be apparent in my photos.  I also tend to crop windshield glare mostly from the bottom due to my air conditioner vents which usually leave sky in.  Fortunately these roads kind of lend themselves to taking photos with sky and the surrounding terrain. 

Max Rockatansky

Lassen Park Highway over the holiday weekend:

IMG_5068 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5084 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I-5/CA 99 south in downtown Sacramento:

IMG_5757 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

D-Dey65

Amazing you were still able to find areas that weren't burning this recently. You've got great scenery and great signage as well.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 11, 2020, 11:31:10 AM
Amazing you were still able to find areas that weren't burning this recently. You've got great scenery and great signage as well.

I wanted to hit Sherman Pass Road and Nine Mile Canyon Road but those were blocked by the fire in the Golden Trout Wilderness.  Two days before the Ebbetts, Monitor, and Sonora day US 395 from CA 89 south to Sonora Junction was closed because of fire.  I've been watching the CalFire incidents and just going when/where I have opportunity.  Oddly the Cascades have almost no fires in the northeast part of the state. 

D-Dey65

Quote from: formulanone on December 02, 2019, 07:26:13 PM
I-10 in Phoenix near Sky Harbor - perfect shot with the aircraft about to land:

I just wish the polarizer didn't cause so much vignetting in one corner...
A car with a key over it. What's that symbol?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 18, 2020, 01:38:43 PM

Rental Car facility.

kphoger

...or an Ace Hardware, where you get your car key copied...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 18, 2020, 01:50:44 PM

Rental Car facility.

That logo is more common at or inside airports, come to think of it.

mrsman

Quote from: formulanone on September 18, 2020, 05:50:00 PM

Rental Car facility.

Depending on the airport, sometimes the rental car facilities can be quite far away, maybe even taking a different exit from the freeway to reach the rental car facility.  People renting cars are often unfamiliar with the area, and they may follow signs to get back to the airport, but they need to know how to get to the rental car area specifically because they will return the car first and then take a shuttle to the terminals.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on September 20, 2020, 09:12:58 PM

Rental Car facility.

Depending on the airport, sometimes the rental car facilities can be quite far away, maybe even taking a different exit from the freeway to reach the rental car facility.  People renting cars are often unfamiliar with the area, and they may follow signs to get back to the airport, but they need to know how to get to the rental car area specifically because they will return the car first and then take a shuttle to the terminals.

In the case of Sky Harbor it's a prime example of a off-site rental facility...one of the worst IMO. 

mrsman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 20, 2020, 09:15:10 PM

Rental Car facility.

In the case of Sky Harbor it's a prime example of a off-site rental facility...one of the worst IMO.

Indeed, rental cars are on the other side of I-10 from the main airport terminals.  Seems to be about 2 mi from the nearest passenger terminal.  And the airport tram that connects the terminals to the light rail station (which is NE of the terminals) does not connect to the rental car center (which is W of the terminals).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on September 20, 2020, 09:27:54 PM

Rental Car facility.

Indeed, rental cars are on the other side of I-10 from the main airport terminals.  Seems to be about 2 mi from the nearest passenger terminal.  And the airport tram that connects the terminals to the light rail station (which is NE of the terminals) does not connect to the rental car center (which is W of the terminals).

Which requires a lengthy wait and ride on the shuttle.  I feel fortunate that I only had to deal with it a handful of times when I lived in Phoenix.

mrsman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 20, 2020, 09:50:52 PM
Quote from: mrsman on September 20, 2020, 09:27:54 PM

Rental Car facility.

Which requires a lengthy wait and ride on the shuttle.  I feel fortunate that I only had to deal with it a handful of times when I lived in Phoenix.

I don't know all the history at Sky Harbor, but consolidated rental car facilities, where the different companies are all together in one giant parking structure, are relatively recent phenomena.  (The one at Sky Harbor was completed in 2005) In some ways, it is helpful for the ground transporation aspect of airports as there needs to be only one shuttle to serve all rental car customers, compared to each company running its own shuttle.  It seems like a case of bad planning, though, to put it on the wrong side of the airport, when the sky train heads mostly in the other direction (to reach light rail).  I do see that they are in the process of building an extension to sky train to connect the rental car center.

I thought that the leaders of Phoenix made a big mistake as they planned the transportation links for Sky Harbor.  Sky Harbor's terminals are aligned linearly - you can drive by along Sky Harbor Blvd by all the terminals in a near E-W straight line.  (Most other major airports are desinged more in a horseshoe pattern.)  This meant that the light rail line could rurn between Downtown and Tempe by way of the airport terminals in a straight line.  Imagine if the light rail went south from Washington to Bukeye along 16th or the I-10 ROW and then ran directly through the airport terminals and then continued into Tempe.  Travel to the airport would have been a lot easier.

jakeroot

A similar rental car symbol made its way onto an overhead sign at the off-site rental car facility for SeaTac airport, although it's white on blue with a white circle: https://goo.gl/maps/tr4TvNLupQuo5b3x6

As far as off-site rental cars: I guess it depends on how much the airport is growing. If the airport is super busy, I'd rather not mix rental car returns with arriving and departing personal vehicles as well.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on September 21, 2020, 04:02:03 PM
A similar rental car symbol made its way onto an overhead sign at the off-site rental car facility for SeaTac airport, although it's white on blue with a white circle: https://goo.gl/maps/tr4TvNLupQuo5b3x6

As far as off-site rental cars: I guess it depends on how much the airport is growing. If the airport is super busy, I'd rather not mix rental car returns with arriving and departing personal vehicles as well.

It doesn't help that SeaTac is just a miserable airport in general and then you have to cram onto a shuttle bus for the rental facility at the end of it.  Granted, SeaTac is bursting at the seams and said rental car facility is actually fairly nice. 

Out of all the detached rental car lots I regularly deal with I like O'Hare.  It's a very short shuttle and they tend to run very frequently. 

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 21, 2020, 04:18:05 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 21, 2020, 04:02:03 PM

It doesn't help that SeaTac is just a miserable airport in general and then you have to cram onto a shuttle bus for the rental facility at the end of it.  Granted, SeaTac is bursting at the seams and said rental car facility is actually fairly nice. 

Out of all the detached rental car lots I regularly deal with I like O'Hare.  It's a very short shuttle and they tend to run very frequently.

They're making progress! The low ceilings and long boring corridors of the old airport are slowly being changed. The N-Gates are the best recent change. Way more airy and much nicer to be in. The new international arrivals terminal looks incredible. One day, it'll be a good airport, but as you say, it's bursting at the seams and it's just hard to build fast enough to keep up. Hence all the construction everywhere and the overall not-great experience for the time being.

Moving the rental car facility off-site allowed them to free up parking in the main garage, which they can sell at inflated prices to wealthy pilots and make a bunch of money. Hopefully for further improvements to the airport. Plus, the old garage didn't contain all rental agencies. Thrifty, for example, was always off-site but now is in the main facility off 518 with everyone else.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.