KDOT announces K-10 South Lawrence Trafficway study

Started by route56, September 10, 2018, 10:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned Weasel

Quote from: mvak36 on May 16, 2019, 09:57:09 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 15, 2019, 04:11:36 PM
Good. Now they have to decide whether to make it a four-lane road, a six-lane road, and/or make it a toll road.

I think they probably will have to at least make the people getting off of I-70 pay a toll so that everyone just doesn't get on K-10 to avoid paying tolls on that last stretch of 70. Although K-10 is such a cluster from near the K-7 interchange to its eastern terminus that I'd probably still take 70 to not have to deal with the traffic.

But if you take I-70 through Kansas City, you have to deal with the cluster that is the Downtown Loop.  K-10 is the western leg of Kansas City's de facto east-west bypass.  But just because it's a bypass doesn't mean it isn't susceptible to congestion.

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2019, 03:54:43 PM
If KDOT gave a damn about shunpiking, they wouldn't have built I-35 east of Emporia.

I've always found it at least mildly surprising that it got built in the first place, considering you can count on one hand the number of miles it saves versus routing I-35 along the whole length of the Turnpike.  I can only imagine the suburban growth that would have likely occurred in Leavenworth and Douglas Counties but instead went to Johnson County because of the toll-free I-35 segment.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

mvak36

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 16, 2019, 09:05:14 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on May 16, 2019, 09:57:09 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 15, 2019, 04:11:36 PM
Good. Now they have to decide whether to make it a four-lane road, a six-lane road, and/or make it a toll road.

I think they probably will have to at least make the people getting off of I-70 pay a toll so that everyone just doesn't get on K-10 to avoid paying tolls on that last stretch of 70. Although K-10 is such a cluster from near the K-7 interchange to its eastern terminus that I'd probably still take 70 to not have to deal with the traffic.

But if you take I-70 through Kansas City, you have to deal with the cluster that is the Downtown Loop.  K-10 is the western leg of Kansas City's de facto east-west bypass.  But just because it's a bypass doesn't mean it isn't susceptible to congestion.

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2019, 03:54:43 PM
If KDOT gave a damn about shunpiking, they wouldn't have built I-35 east of Emporia.

I actually live in Johnson county east of the 435/35/K-10 interchange. I've found it quicker to take 70 and 435 rather than try to deal with the congestion on K10 once I get closer to the city. Maybe it's just how the traffic was at the times I was driving through.

iPhone
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

route56

KDOT has installed a queue detection system for the K-10/27th Street intersection. Here's the press release:

Quote from: KDOT
KDOT making interim improvements on SLT's K-10 at 27th Street

On Sept. 11, the Kansas Department of Transportation implemented one of many interim improvements to address safety on the South Lawrence Trafficway (SLT) corridor while the Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement study continues to progress for the future freeway improvements.

KDOT installed a queue warning system in advance of the K-10/27th Street intersection, informing travelers of the presence of slow or stopped traffic using dynamic message signs. Travelers can anticipate advanced warning messages on three eastbound signs and four westbound signs.

The signs will notify travelers to slow down to help reduce queuing-related collisions. KDOT urges all motorists to be alert and obey the warning signs when approaching and driving through this intersection.

To stay aware of all road construction projects across Kansas go to www.kandrive.org or call 5-1-1.

For more information, please contact: Garry Olson, Traffic Engineer with the Bureau of [size=78%]Transportation Safety and Technology, 785-368-7297.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

The Ghostbuster

Variable Message Signs are always good in providing travel times and other information about the roadway in question. Here in Wisconsin, they are used extensively in the Milwaukee area, and there are some in the Madison area as well.

route56

KDOT is proposing more improvements to the K-10/27th Street intersection:

https://www2.ljworld.com/news/city-government/2019/nov/03/lawrence-city-commission-to-review-proposed-safety-improvements-for-troublesome-slt-intersection/

• Tweak the signal timing and detection
  • Add a right-turn lane from eastbound K-10 to YSI
  • Change traffic flow at the 27th/Wakarusa intersection - Westbound 27th must turn north on Wakarusa, southbound traffic must turn to K-10/YSI, Traffic off of K-10 may proceed north on Wakarusa or east on 27th.
  • Add a right turn lane for traffic coming out of YSI
  • Extend the existing westbound right turn lane from K-10 to Wakarusa/27th

R.P.K.

The Ghostbuster

Wikipedia says this intersection is planned to be converted into a diverging diamond interchange. Is that the long-term plan, with the short-term plan being the safety improvements listed?

kphoger

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 05, 2019, 03:09:23 PM
Wikipedia says this intersection is planned to be converted into a diverging diamond interchange. Is that the long-term plan, with the short-term plan being the safety improvements listed?

The source for that claim was a June 2016 online article from that same newspaper, which in turn had gotten its information from an October 2015 KDOT proposal (.pdf warning).  As of May 2019, the below are called "Interim Improvements":

- Queue Backup Warning System, Operational May 2019
- Advanced Signal Warning System, Construction Spring 2020
- Interim Intersection Improvements Study, Report Complete Fall 2019

Hmmm......
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

route56

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 05, 2019, 03:09:23 PM

The long term plan is for the western leg to be rebuilt to freeway standards. Whether there's a DDI for Wakarusa, or something else, is technically still up in the air.

(The study in the thread title refers to the environmental study, officially a supplement to the 1990 EIS for the west leg and 2003/2008 EIS for the east leg, for widening the west leg)

R.P.K.

route56

[Thread Exhumation]

KDOT and HNTB are ready for the next public comment session regarding the next phase of the SEIS process. Due to the Coronavirus, that public open house is going online.

Quote from: HNTB
Keeping health and safety a priority for participants, the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) and the Federal Highway Admin (FHWA) are pleased to announce they will be hosting a virtual public meeting for the public to learn more vabout the South Lawrence Trafficway Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS).

The virtual open house will provide project updates and share the reasonable alternatives for the SLT improvements. Participants will have the ability to submit questions and comments through an online form that will go directly to the project team and they will respond as needed.

The purpose of the SEIS is to evaluate options for improving the SLT, including review of reasonable alternatives that will enhance safety and improve congestion while supporting its use as a thriving corridor for the City of Lawrence and the surrounding region. The SEIS is scheduled to be completed in 2021.

To attend the virtual meeting, visit www.slt-ks.org between May 14 and May 28 and follow Public Meeting links on the front page. After the conclusion of the meeting, a summary of questions and comments and meeting materials will be posted on the website.

If you need special assistance, would like to request a hard copy version or would like to discuss with a project team member please contact Kelsey Heavin at 816-527-2468 or kheavin@hntb.com.

R.P.K.

route56

UPDATE! 6/30/20

Quote from: KDOT Public Information Office

Improvements on K-10 in Lawrence to begin July 6

An intersection improvement project at the 27th Street/Wakarusa Avenue intersection on K-10 in Lawrence is expected to begin, Monday, July 6, weather permitting. Also, a mill and overlay project on K-10 is expected to begin mid-August or early September. Work will occur in two phases and is expected to be complete in mid-October.

Phase one will include the following safety improvements at the 27th Street/Wakarusa Avenue intersection:
-   Adding an eastbound K-10 right turn lane to enter the sports complex.
-   Extending the length of the existing westbound K-10 right turn lane to enter Wakarusa Drive and 27th Streets,
-   Adding lane assignments and pavement markings to Wakarusa Drive and restricting left turn movements from 27th Street to Wakarusa Drive,
-   Relocation of the crosswalk on Wakarusa further west with shorter crosswalk length, additionally, a pedestrian activated Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon will be installed at this relocated crosswalk location,
-   Additional pedestrian use signing will be added to K-10, Wakarusa Drive and 27th Street.

These improvements will reduce wait times on Wakarusa Drive and eliminate the conflict point between Wakarusa Drive and 27th Street. Also, by adding and extending right turn lanes, operations on K-10 will be improved.

Work will occur during daylight hours and there will be some weekend and night-time closures at the intersection, as necessary. Traffic will encounter various lane closures, and a lane width restriction of 12 feet in the work area. Drivers should pay attention to signing placed in advance of each phase of work.

In mid-August or early September, the mill and overlay project in Phase 2 will begin, weather permitting. Work will occur from the Farmer's Turnpike to the U.S. 59/K-10 junction, 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., Monday evenings to Saturday mornings.

Traffic will be controlled using a lane width reduction to 12 feet in the work area, speed limit signs, traffic cones and barricades. A pilot car operation will guide traffic during the night-time hours. Drivers should expect delays of about 15 minutes.

Hamm Inc, of Perry is the contractor on the $4.3 million project.

RPK Note: The project was part of the April lettings. Hamm's bid was actually closer to $4.4 million  :bigass:

R.P.K.

Ned Weasel

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Plutonic Panda

skluth

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 25, 2020, 12:58:37 AM
Quote from: stridentweasel on September 24, 2020, 09:42:00 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 23, 2020, 05:06:24 PM
https://www2.ljworld.com/news/city-government/2020/sep/22/kdot-recommends-open-access-highway-for-slt-expansion-over-option-with-tolled-express-lanes/?fbclid=IwAR1IQTKQ3R02xrOhchRd_WPAPM1RBV0h5qZDM1O7P2hqcfaHv4yfC7-SNuw

Please tell me those inner loop ramps at the new K-10 and I-70 interchange will be separated from the EB I-70 mainline via a C-D roadway.
You would like to think a major DOT wouldn't put in an interchange design that literally almost every other DOT is working to eliminate.

I would hope KDOT is just floating this as a placeholder before coming up with design options for the interchange. The design in the article looks more like something from the 1950's before we knew how to design high-speed interchanges. I know most tolling in Kansas is electronic, but this interchange would be busy enough to require manned booths until ETC becomes standardized between states.

EDIT: I took a quick stab at a redesigned interchange and included it in the Redesigning Interchanges thread here.

The Ghostbuster

When the Interstate 70/K-10 interchange is reconstructed from a service to a system interchange, would it be possible or likely that access to N. 1800 Rd./Farmer's Turnpike could be eliminated?

Ned Weasel

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 25, 2020, 06:02:46 PM
When the Interstate 70/K-10 interchange is reconstructed from a service to a system interchange, would it be possible or likely that access to N. 1800 Rd./Farmer's Turnpike could be eliminated?

That was under consideration a while ago, and the idea was largely protested.  It's a county route and a pretty significant exurban arterial; it's worth it to keep access to it.

route56

[Thread Exhumation Permit 10-23 X-2021-01]

I received the following email blast regarding the SLT this afternoon

Quote from: KDOT Outreach
Hello!

We wanted to send a quick follow up to provide a SLT project status update. Since the last Virtual Public Meeting, the team has had the opportunity to hold an Advisory Group meeting in August and present to the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce in October, the City of Lawrence Commission, Lecompton City Council in November and the Lawrence Rotary Club in January of 2021. KDOT has also submitted the Draft SEIS Report document to Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) in Washington, DC. The team is addressing comments received and have a couple additional steps in the process. Due to COVID-19 the process has slowed down a bit and we expect it will be mid-to-late February before the documents are approved and we can schedule the Public Hearing. We anticipate the Public Hearing will take place late March.

The Public Hearing will have both in-person and virtual options for participation. Both opportunities will allow the public to submit comments for Project documentation.

Thank you for your patience. We appreciate your engagement with this important Project!

I presume the Draft SEIS will be made available in a PDF.

R.P.K.

route56

Bump for the latest: The draft SEIS is out:

Please join the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) for a Public Hearing, with virtual components, to provide comments on the Identified Preferred Alternative for the South Lawrence Trafficway (SLT) project. They have released the Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) for public review. The public comment period is April 26 through June 21, 2021.

The Public Hearing will provide an overview of the project and present the draft preferred alternatives as part of the Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS). Participants will have the opportunity to submit comments to the project team.

The public can attend an in-person Public Hearing on Wednesday, May 26, 2021 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Baker University Wetland Discover Center. There will be a presentation during each of the time slots and an opportunity to leave verbal comments with a Court Reporter, who will document them. To follow social distancing guidelines, participants must reserve a time slot.

With health and safety in mind, in addition to the in-person Public Hearing, KDOT and FHWA are offering multiple opportunities for participants to review the information and provide comments:

• A Live Virtual Public Hearing will be held on Tuesday, May 25, 2021 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. It will include a presentation followed by an opportunity to leave verbal comments for the team. Visit the project website for event details.

• A Virtual Open House will be available at www.slt-ks.org during the comment period for participants to view the materials online and submit comments through an electronic comment form.  Click here for direct access.

• The Draft SEIS Report will be available online as well as at the Lawrence Public Library and City of Lawrence City Hall, Public Works Office and Douglas County Public Works Office for the 45-day comment period.  Click here to review online.
All opportunities will provide the same content and review the information from the Draft SEIS document which will provide information on the Identified Preferred Alternative and how it was evaluated. After the conclusion of the meetings, a summary of questions and comments will be posted on the project website.

The purpose of the SEIS is to evaluate options for improving the SLT, including review of reasonable alternatives that will enhance safety and improve congestion while supporting its use as a thriving corridor for the City of Lawrence and the surrounding region.

Visit www.slt-ks.org for full details and to sign up for project updates, including direct links and opportunities to provide your input!

If you need special assistance, would like to sign up for the in-person meeting, request a hard copy version or would like to discuss with a project team member please contact Kelsey Heavin at 816-527-2468 or info@slt-ks.org.

R.P.K.

mvak36

Quote from: route56 on May 03, 2021, 01:35:50 PM
Bump for the latest: The draft SEIS is out:

Please join the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) for a Public Hearing, with virtual components, to provide comments on the Identified Preferred Alternative for the South Lawrence Trafficway (SLT) project. They have released the Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) for public review. The public comment period is April 26 through June 21, 2021.

The Public Hearing will provide an overview of the project and present the draft preferred alternatives as part of the Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS). Participants will have the opportunity to submit comments to the project team.

The public can attend an in-person Public Hearing on Wednesday, May 26, 2021 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Baker University Wetland Discover Center. There will be a presentation during each of the time slots and an opportunity to leave verbal comments with a Court Reporter, who will document them. To follow social distancing guidelines, participants must reserve a time slot.

With health and safety in mind, in addition to the in-person Public Hearing, KDOT and FHWA are offering multiple opportunities for participants to review the information and provide comments:

• A Live Virtual Public Hearing will be held on Tuesday, May 25, 2021 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. It will include a presentation followed by an opportunity to leave verbal comments for the team. Visit the project website for event details.

• A Virtual Open House will be available at www.slt-ks.org during the comment period for participants to view the materials online and submit comments through an electronic comment form.  Click here for direct access.

• The Draft SEIS Report will be available online as well as at the Lawrence Public Library and City of Lawrence City Hall, Public Works Office and Douglas County Public Works Office for the 45-day comment period.  Click here to review online.
All opportunities will provide the same content and review the information from the Draft SEIS document which will provide information on the Identified Preferred Alternative and how it was evaluated. After the conclusion of the meetings, a summary of questions and comments will be posted on the project website.

The purpose of the SEIS is to evaluate options for improving the SLT, including review of reasonable alternatives that will enhance safety and improve congestion while supporting its use as a thriving corridor for the City of Lawrence and the surrounding region.

Visit www.slt-ks.org for full details and to sign up for project updates, including direct links and opportunities to provide your input!

If you need special assistance, would like to sign up for the in-person meeting, request a hard copy version or would like to discuss with a project team member please contact Kelsey Heavin at 816-527-2468 or info@slt-ks.org.

Thanks for posting this. I found a fact sheet from the virtual open house: https://slt-ks.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/K-10_PubHearingFactsheet_Spring2021-1.pdf
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

route56

I'm exhuming this thread to indicate that the SEIS process has been completed

https://www2.ljworld.com/news/state-region/2022/apr/04/construction-to-expand-west-leg-of-slt-to-four-lanes-could-begin-in-2024-feds-grant-key-environmental-approval/
[Paywall warning]

The Final SEIS for the project [2022 SEIS] and Record of Decision are posted at the project website:

https://slt-ks.ksdot.gov/slt-final-seis-documents/

Construction is slated to begin in 2024. I'd assume that the project will be let about a year from now.

[EDIT 2/9/24: Changed URL of link to PDFs of the 2022 SEIS]

R.P.K.

The Ghostbuster

Will construction still begin on the South Lawrence Trafficway this year? Or will construction commence at a later date?

route56

I haven't seen a letting timetable for the SLT projects

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.