News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 01, 2020, 11:30:45 AM
Is it bad that I couldn't detect the sarcasm until I was most of the way through?

:thumbsup:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CNGL-Leudimin

I wonder how photospheres clearly taken in land get placed in the middle of the sea.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ErmineNotyours

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thspfc

kkt

Quote from: Throckmorton on August 03, 2020, 07:58:37 PM

This one may or may not be well known but in a San Francisco apartment building that was one of the locations in the Humphrey Bogart movie, Dark Passage, the occupants of the unit where Lauren Bacall's character lived used to keep a cardboard cutout of Bogart in the window.   

It's visible in the pic from 2011.   

https://goo.gl/maps/ZoXo4XPCPo8yvcf3A

Cool!  I like that movie a lot, never knew the occupants put up a cutout of Bogart but it's a very S.F. thing to do.

STLmapboy

Here's another swollen river on GSV. This time it's the Sulphur, below I-30 near Texarkana.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CNGL-Leudimin

The Very Large Array. I noticed something weird in the middle of New Mexico on OpenStreetMap (three railways radiating from a common origin), and thus I had to search what was going in the area.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 16, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
The Very Large Array. I noticed something weird in the middle of New Mexico on OpenStreetMap (three railways radiating from a common origin), and thus I had to search what was going in the area.

Yes, I just recently learned that the VLA moves on a pair of parallel standard gauge railroad tracks that actually have an at grade crossing!  I don't know why, but I had always envisioned them to use a specialized rail design.  I still haven't made it out there.

STLmapboy

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 16, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
I can see lots of thought went into naming that.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

ethanhopkin14

empirestate

Quote from: Throckmorton on August 31, 2020, 05:28:53 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 26, 2020, 11:42:00 PM
Hang loose.

(In middle school, the authorities thought that was an obscene gesture and forbade its use.)

When I was young that was known as the 'bullshit' sign. Obviously the meaning has changed.

Not changed, just a different sign. The sign seen here, on its own, can be taken to mean "rock on"; and in combination with the other hand, it forms the "bull" part of "bullshit" in ASL.

"Hang loose", on the other (figurative) hand, uses the thumb rather than the index finger. So that's just a misconstruction (and one that it would not be surprising to learn was made by some middle school authorities at some point in history).

dlsterner

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 15, 2020, 10:11:58 AM
Anyone wanna call this random LA number for $99 Hawaii airfare?

Never mind the cheap air fare ... take a look at the gasoline prices at the 76 gas station across the street!

One of many reasons I am happy to not live in Los Angeles.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2020, 05:34:15 PM
When I was a kid, I was told it represented Satan's horns.

i always understood it as 'surf naked' when i lived in VA...
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: dlsterner on October 15, 2020, 10:20:04 PM

Never mind the cheap air fare ... take a look at the gasoline prices at the 76 gas station across the street!

One of many reasons I am happy to not live in Los Angeles.

it'd almost be cheaper to run your car on cigarettes...
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

hotdogPi

The average cost to drive a car is 59¢ per mile, and most of this is maintenance and depreciation. A $1 increase in gasoline costs results in a 4¢ increase per mile. In addition, this particular station is gouging by about $1.50 per gallon; the average price in LA at the time was in the high $3.xx range.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on October 16, 2020, 09:14:34 AM
The average cost to drive a car is 59¢ per mile, and most of this is maintenance and depreciation. A $1 increase in gasoline costs results in a 4¢ increase per mile. In addition, this particular station is gouging by about $1.50 per gallon; the average price in LA at the time was in the high $3.xx range.

In February 2020 GSV, the next 76 station down the road was selling Regular for $1.07 less per gallon than that one was.  Insane!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Just posted this in another thread and figured I might as well throw it in here as well:
Who needs red light cameras when you've got Street View?

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on October 16, 2020, 02:47:54 PM
Just posted this in another thread and figured I might as well throw it in here as well:

Judging by how quickly that Escape is blowing by the GSV car, I'm thinking he only snuck in barely after the yellow (maybe like a quarter second or something).

Though I know you're only joking, I would be cautious to assume guilt entirely through Street View, as there typically isn't enough imagery to tell whether someone entered on yellow or not (even in states where you are required to stop on yellow, it's still not illegal per se to enter on yellow).

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on October 16, 2020, 04:16:49 PM

Quote from: webny99 on October 16, 2020, 02:47:54 PM

Judging by how quickly that Escape is blowing by the GSV car, I'm thinking he only snuck in barely after the yellow (maybe like a quarter second or something).

Though I know you're only joking, I would be cautious to assume guilt entirely through Street View, as there typically isn't enough imagery to tell whether someone entered on yellow or not (even in states where you are required to stop on yellow, it's still not illegal per se to enter on yellow).

The light turned red at about 2-3 car lengths.

yellow
red
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.