News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

What Do Locals Call Your Part Of The State???

Started by thenetwork, August 27, 2017, 10:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooks

People from out of state usually call the Memphis area southwest Tennessee.  Here, we refer to it as the Mid-South (also used heavily by local and state media).

DandyDan

I am still getting used to living here in Mason City, but I do believe the locals call it North Iowa, whereas outsiders call it Northern Iowa.

One thing I would love to know is where in NW Iowa the Sioux Empire, centered around Sioux Falls, begins, and Siouxland, centered around Sioux City, ends. To me, it all seems like NW Iowa and SE South Dakota. It does seem like an overlap there.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Sctvhound

The metro Charleston area is usually called the Lowcountry. Charleston, Berkeley, Dorchester, Beaufort, Colleton, and sometimes Jasper counties are a part of it. Georgetown and Horry are a part of the Grand Strand.

Bickendan

Quote from: nexus73 on August 29, 2017, 11:05:53 AM
Quote from: Bickendan on August 29, 2017, 12:03:36 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on August 28, 2017, 03:22:48 PM
Coos Bay-North Bend OR and the surrounding unincorporated area is called the Bay Area by the locals.  The region covering Curry, Coos, coastal Douglas and coastal Lane counties is called the South Coast by its inhabitants.  As for what they call this locale out of the area, I sometimes wonder if the people in PDX and the Valley even know we are here!

Rick
It wouldn't be surprising if the Willamette Valley thinks the coast as Newport on north...

They'll take in Waldport and Yachats.  Eugene/Springfield people can add Florence. 

Rick
Pretty much.

jwolfer

[
"A friend was telling me that when he goes back to his hometown in Michigan and tells people that he lives in Northern Virginia, people get this image of him living in the cultural, rural South and don't seem to realize that Northern Virginia abuts DC. He always has to clarify that he lives in the DC suburbs. "

Same thing with Northern Kentucky.  I worked for a company that was purchased by Citibank.. They have a big presence in Florence KY we had sime people come down from that office and people at work were expectinf them to be  Butcher Holler hillbilly types.. I had to tell them it was Cincinnati suburbs

LGMS428

bing101

In the Sacramento Area we separate the central valley into 2 parts.

North of Rio Vista, CA the Central Valley is called Sacramento Delta/ Sacramento Valley up to Redding area.

South of Rio VIsta, CA The Central Valley is called San Joaquin Valley/ Delta all the way to Ridge Route area in Southern California.

In the Bay Area we Call the San Jose Area "The South Bay" but its interchangebly used with Silicon Valley. San Francisco is Called "The City", San Mateo County "The Peninsula"  ,  The East Bay for Alameda and Contra Costa Counties

The North Bay for Marin, Napa, Sonoma, Solano counties

http://www.dailyrepublic.com/solano-news/solano-county/fairfield-suisun-sits-between-bay-valley/

However, Soiano County, CA  has portions of its territory in the Sacramento Valley and Sacramento Radio and TV Outlets refer to Vacaville and Dixon as part of the Sacramento Valley.

In San Francisco they refer to Vallejo and Benicia as part of the Bay Area.

However the North Bay sometimes get called as Wine Country

But I remember in the 2014 Earthquake where Napa was named as the city affected by the earthquake the national news never even mentioned Vallejo as getting hit by the quake even though its the largest city near the epicenter hit by the quake. I noticed Sacramento and San Francisco media outlets did mention Vallejo in its coverage and focused on the Downtown areas. '

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UXwNJDYwVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDI1U-ZHFcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR_Z6mq-QyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ4q0fPgO04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjqxJ0duuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnxEVPyk7S4

Quillz

Quote from: bing101 on September 02, 2017, 05:15:35 PM
But I remember in the 2014 Earthquake where Napa was named as the city affected by the earthquake the national news never even mentioned Vallejo as getting hit by the quake even though its the largest city near the epicenter hit by the quake.
On a national level, probably because most people would know the "Napa Valley" name before the city of Vallejo, so it stuck. On a (not so similar) note, it's like how the "Northridge Earthquake" was really epicentered in Reseda, but by the time this was learned, the name had already stuck.

bing101

Quote from: Quillz on September 02, 2017, 06:03:06 PM
But I remember in the 2014 Earthquake where Napa was named as the city affected by the earthquake the national news never even mentioned Vallejo as getting hit by the quake even though its the largest city near the epicenter hit by the quake.
On a national level, probably because most people would know the "Napa Valley" name before the city of Vallejo, so it stuck. On a (not so similar) note, it's like how the "Northridge Earthquake" was really epicentered in Reseda, but by the time this was learned, the name had already stuck.

In reality it's the 2014 American Canyon Quake but the national News only focused on Napa even though local TV Stations in Sacramento and San Francisco did show pictures of downtown Vallejo having similar damage to Napa mainly because Mare Island and Downtown Vallejo is built on Landfill similar to the Marina District of San Francisco. Well I seen national coverage of the 2014 quake and they focused on how wine country is affected by the quake.

Mrt90

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 29, 2017, 01:56:50 PM
The far NW Burbs also claim the "Fox Valley" title sometimes, as the Fox River heads up that way too, into McHenry County
Just for clarification, this is actually a different Fox River than the one referred to in a previous post about an area in Wisconsin that is also know as the Fox Valley.  Also, there is an area a bit north of the Illinois Fox Valley that is known as the Chain O Lakes region, where a dozen or so lakes form a "chain" connected by the Fox River, and channels and canals. Some people also refer to this area as the Lakes area.

The northwestern part of Waukesha County Wisconsin, which is just west of Milwaukee, including Pewaukee, Hartland, Delafield, and other towns in this area, is known locally as Lake Country because of the large number of lakes in the area.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Mrt90 on September 02, 2017, 11:28:25 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on August 29, 2017, 01:56:50 PM
The far NW Burbs also claim the "Fox Valley" title sometimes, as the Fox River heads up that way too, into McHenry County
Just for clarification, this is actually a different Fox River than the one referred to in a previous post about an area in Wisconsin that is also know as the Fox Valley.  Also, there is an area a bit north of the Illinois Fox Valley that is known as the Chain O Lakes region, where a dozen or so lakes form a "chain" connected by the Fox River, and channels and canals. Some people also refer to this area as the Lakes area.

The northwestern part of Waukesha County Wisconsin, which is just west of Milwaukee, including Pewaukee, Hartland, Delafield, and other towns in this area, is known locally as Lake Country because of the large number of lakes in the area.
I never realized that the Fox River up near Green Bay and the Fox River running thru the far West and NW Burbs are NOT the same river -- I figured they were connected, but a quick Google Maps check -- they are not the same waterway

There was an earlier post referencing the Far West Suburbs of Chicago being called the "Fox Valley" -- the Fox Valley Mall is in Aurora, for example. I was simply pointing out that even up in McHenry County, that "Fox Valley" title can be claimed.

Chain O Lakes certainly applies as well in that area, too

SD Mapman

Quote from: DandyDan on August 30, 2017, 06:32:37 AM
I am still getting used to living here in Mason City, but I do believe the locals call it North Iowa, whereas outsiders call it Northern Iowa.

One thing I would love to know is where in NW Iowa the Sioux Empire, centered around Sioux Falls, begins, and Siouxland, centered around Sioux City, ends. To me, it all seems like NW Iowa and SE South Dakota. It does seem like an overlap there.
Maybe a tiny NW corner of Lyon County? The "Empire" (pretentious flatlanders; honestly the only time I use the term is when I'm talking about the mall) is really a South Dakota area and the Siouxland is an Iowa area. N. Sioux City (and maybe Elk Point and Jefferson) are the only parts of SD that are really in the Siouxland.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Quillz

Quote from: bing101 on September 02, 2017, 08:34:44 PM
Quote from: Quillz on September 02, 2017, 06:03:06 PM

In reality it's the 2014 American Canyon Quake but the national News only focused on Napa even though local TV Stations in Sacramento and San Francisco did show pictures of downtown Vallejo having similar damage to Napa mainly because Mare Island and Downtown Vallejo is built on Landfill similar to the Marina District of San Francisco. Well I seen national coverage of the 2014 quake and they focused on how wine country is affected by the quake.
Well, exactly, that was my point. People on a national level will know SF and Sacramento, and "Wine Country." They likely would not know Vallejo or some of the other specific cities, so saying the earthquake affected "Wine Country" is just an easier way to report things, even if it's not totally accurate.

I was actually in Sonoma about a week before that earthquake struck, and found out the hotel I was staying in took some pretty heavy damage. So I really lucked out there.

cjk374

Lincoln Parish, where my hometown is located, is named with 2 different names. It is the western-most parish in what is called the Ark-La-Miss. It is also the eastern-most parish in what is called the Ark-La-Tex. I just call it home.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: cjk374 on September 03, 2017, 04:26:32 PM
Lincoln Parish, where my hometown is located, is named with 2 different names. It is the western-most parish in what is called the Ark-La-Miss. It is also the eastern-most parish in what is called the Ark-La-Tex. I just call it home.

Ive heard Arklatex before, but never Arklamiss.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

keithvh

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 03, 2017, 06:33:28 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on September 03, 2017, 04:26:32 PM

Ive heard Arklatex before, but never Arklamiss.

I've heard Ark-La-Miss before, but really only in the context of the Louisiana counties that are part of the Delta Region (Mississippi Embayment).  Lincoln Parish and Ruston aren't really part of the Delta region --- that's definitely the hill country.

Monroe, Louisiana -- about 30 miles east of Ruston --- that's the Delta region.  That's where Delta Airlines was first founded, and where its name comes from.

westerninterloper

I'm originally from far western Indiana, around Terre Haute, and there are several names the area goes by:

Within Indiana, it's known as "West Central Indiana", and most of the regions in the state have a directional: Central Indiana is Indianapolis; South Central Indiana is Bloomington/Bedford; Southwestern Indiana around Evansville.

Within the immediate region, there are two names commonly heard:

"The Wabash Valley" is the most common; this includes counties in Illinois in the economic reach of Terre Haute;

"Illiana" is a less common moniker, but captures the bi-state region like Wabash Valley. Areas around South Bend are known as Michiana; The Louisville area is sometimes called Kentuckiana, and I've heard "Ohiana" perhaps around Richmond.

I now live near Toledo, Ohio, and this area is almost universally called "Northwest Ohio." Very occasionally I will hear it referred to as the "Maumee Valley", or "Lake Erie West".
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

thenetwork

Quote from: westerninterloper on September 03, 2017, 09:18:44 PM
I now live near Toledo, Ohio, and this area is almost universally called "Northwest Ohio." Very occasionally I will hear it referred to as the "Maumee Valley", or "Lake Erie West".

When I lived there in the 80s, one TV station in town (WTOL) used to call NW Ohio "The Heartland" on many occasions.

westerninterloper

Quote from: thenetwork on September 03, 2017, 10:16:41 PM

When I lived there in the 80s, one TV station in town (WTOL) used to call NW Ohio "The Heartland" on many occasions.

That was probably a marketing ruse. Now 13ABC uses the vapid and generic "This is Home" slogan/theme song.

When I hear a place referred to as the "Heartland", I assume that there's nothing of note there. I've seen that in lots of rural areas in the Midwest, but havent heard it here.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

DandyDan

Quote from: SD Mapman on September 03, 2017, 12:44:17 AM

Maybe a tiny NW corner of Lyon County? The "Empire" (pretentious flatlanders; honestly the only time I use the term is when I'm talking about the mall) is really a South Dakota area and the Siouxland is an Iowa area. N. Sioux City (and maybe Elk Point and Jefferson) are the only parts of SD that are really in the Siouxland.
The problem I have with that is that I always assumed SW Minnesota, where my mom came from and where some of my relatives still live, was part of the Sioux Empire as well. Maybe that's just a TV invention.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

xcellntbuy

Monroe County, Florida (the Keys) "the Conch Republic."

UCFKnights

Quote from: roadman65 on August 28, 2017, 04:45:44 PM
Orlando, FL is known as Central Florida.
I'd say you don't generally hear Orlando referred to as Central Florida, its said more as the Greater Orlando area. Of course, the outsiders call all of Central Florida "Orlando" very regularly. Which isn't helped by the fact that the attractions that are an hour or more away from Orlando use the Orlando name to promote themselves, such as Kennedy Space Center, Port Canaveral (often called Port of Orlando by outsiders), Orlando-Melbourne International Airport, and Orlando-Sanford International Airport.

Hell, many outsiders seem to believe Busch Gardens in Tampa is in Orlando... so if you ask our tourists... Orlando is a city that expands over 100 miles wide.

noelbotevera

There's a few definitions that overlap my area, but from my observation it changes where TV/radio shows are based from.

Harrisburg Area (WGAL, NPR for example): Susquehanna Valley
Hagerstown/Martinsburg (WV) Area (WJAL and radio channel FM 95.1): Tri-State Region
Outsiders: Southcentral Pennsylvania (I call my part of the state this, though I change between Susquehanna Valley and this)

SD Mapman

Quote from: DandyDan on September 04, 2017, 09:43:08 AM
Quote from: SD Mapman on September 03, 2017, 12:44:17 AM

The problem I have with that is that I always assumed SW Minnesota, where my mom came from and where some of my relatives still live, was part of the Sioux Empire as well. Maybe that's just a TV invention.
I really couldn't tell you; like I said we don't use the "Empire" term West River. We just say "Sioux Falls" or "Harrisburg" or "Tea" or "Brandon".
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

The Nature Boy

Quote from: westerninterloper on September 03, 2017, 11:09:42 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on September 03, 2017, 10:16:41 PM

That was probably a marketing ruse. Now 13ABC uses the vapid and generic "This is Home" slogan/theme song.

When I hear a place referred to as the "Heartland", I assume that there's nothing of note there. I've seen that in lots of rural areas in the Midwest, but havent heard it here.

Ohio tried to hint at the "Heartland" thing for the whole state with the "The Heart of It All" slogan.

bassoon1986

Here are the Louisiana ones I'm familiar with:

Shreveport/NW Louisiana - ArkLaTex
Monroe/NE Louisiana - ArkLaMiss
Alexandria area- Cenla
Lafayette area - Acadiana
Hammond/Covington/Slidell - The Northshore

I'm not sure if Northshore includes the parishes in the "toe of the boot" that border Mississippi or just the areas bordering Lake Ponchartrain. I've occasionally heard of this whole area along the I-12 corridor called the Florida Parishes, a throwback to the time when the area east of the MS River still belonged to Spanish Florida.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.