News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Sports / Re: Arizona Coyotes players ap...
Last post by SEWIGuy - Today at 10:38:29 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 10:27:04 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on Today at 09:06:52 AMThat being said, I don't know where would be a better place. There doesn't seem to be an obvious location in need of a hockey team.

Quebec City
Hamilton
Kansas City
Houston
Milwaukee
Portland (OR)
Austin
Atlanta

I know some of these have had teams and failed before, but just some options outside of SLC.

Yeah, but I don't know if any of them are obviously better.

For instance, I am from Milwaukee and know the city very well, and I think an NHL team there would be a failure. There just isn't enough interest in the sport - the AHL Admirals get about 6,000 per game. And the corporate community is already supporting the Bucks, and to a lesser degree Marquette basketball. I haven't heard a serious effort to get a team there since they were up for an expansion franchise in the 90s.

Last post by mgk920 - Today at 10:37:29 AM
The Blackhawks claim territorial rights on the Milwaukee market.  :-/

Mike
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 10:36:06 AM
Atlanta has shown itself to be a nowhere destination for hockey too many times already. 
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 10:27:04 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on Today at 09:06:52 AMThat being said, I don't know where would be a better place. There doesn't seem to be an obvious location in need of a hockey team.

Quebec City
Hamilton
Kansas City
Houston
Milwaukee
Portland (OR)
Austin
Atlanta

I know some of these have had teams and failed before, but just some options outside of SLC.

General Highway Talk / Re: Roads that you have been o...
Last post by GaryV - Today at 10:25:34 AM
I was on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge when I was 5 years old. That would have been the original 2-lane structure; I don't think it was the one struck and destroyed by the ship.

I may have been on both spans (nb and sb) when I was in high school or college. In that case I would have been on the span that suffered the disaster. But it's more likely that we didn't go over the bridge both ways, since at least one of the trips we were going to or from Disney.
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 09:36:18 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on Today at 09:06:52 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2024, 10:55:15 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 18, 2024, 10:38:35 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2024, 04:39:57 PMEven when the Coyotes were in a real arena half the spectators attending were usually fans of visiting teams.  I'm having a hard time deciding if Phoenix was just a bad NHL market it or was just gross mismanagement of the Coyotes franchise that led to the team never getting a foothold.

Moreover, is SLC really a better market?

No, there are way more ideal places for the former Arizona franchise to have landed.  The Golden Knights are more than enough for the entire desert southwest at this point.

Do people from Utah generally root for teams from Las Vegas?

That being said, I don't know where would be a better place. There doesn't seem to be an obvious location in need of a hockey team.

Before the Cardinals were a thing the big following for the NFL in Phoenix was the Broncos.  I'm not sure how that equates for SLC but the distance is similar. 
Northeast / Re: NYC Roads
Last post by Rothman - Today at 09:14:45 AM
Quote from: crispy93 on Today at 08:55:26 AMLooks like NYC will soon be able to lower its default speed limit (again) to 20 mph this time: https://archive.is/v6Gax

Meh.  25 mph was a good one.  If enforcement isn't cutting it now, it certainly won't at 20.
Last post by Rothman - Today at 09:13:13 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2024, 04:39:57 PMEven when the Coyotes were in a real arena half the spectators attending were usually fans of visiting teams.  I'm having a hard time deciding if Phoenix was just a bad NHL market it or was just gross mismanagement of the Coyotes franchise that led to the team never getting a foothold.

No, there are way more ideal places for the former Arizona franchise to have landed.  The Golden Knights are more than enough for the entire desert southwest at this point.

That being said, I don't know where would be a better place. There doesn't seem to be an obvious location in need of a hockey team.

Hartford.  Bring back the Whalers!
Last post by Big John - Today at 09:11:51 AM

Milwaukee had been lobbying for a team for a good time until Fiserv Forum was built without consideration of hockey.
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 09:11:09 AM
Quebec City. Even though the total population is smaller, Canadian cities generally have a greater percentage of the population interested in hockey than American cities.

EDIT: I'm counting, as an estimate, 1.8 million people in Quebec who are closer to Quebec City than Montreal, and this excludes Trois-Rivières and Sherbrooke. Add a small amount more if New Brunswick decides to root for this team.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.