Pennsylvania Oil Country/French Creek Road Meet - June 15, 2024

Started by Roadgeek Adam, May 30, 2023, 10:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

Pennsylvania Oil Country/French Creek Road Meet - Late Spring 2024

It's been several years since I've gotten to host a road meet and I'm known for hyperlocal meets. This is one I've wanted to do for several years and I finally have a list of stuff to put together a full meet. Another thing I'm known for is meets involving lots of bridges. This will definitely have some bridges.

For the people who don't know, Titusville, Pennsylvania is where the first oil derrick was built by Colonel Edwin Drake of the Seneca Oil Company. On August 27, 1859 they opened the first well. This led to immediate growth of the area and construction of railroads. This led to the growth of nearby Oil City, Pennsylvania, which would be formed soon after.

However, this meet will begin in Meadville, Pennsylvania. Meadville is the older municipality in Crawford County, Pennsylvania. Meadville was less oil driven and a more standard canal/railroad built city. Right now I have at least one restaurant picked out, but obviously we have plenty of time.

Right now, these are just some highlights

- Bridges, lots of bridges
- The DOT sign farm in Kerrtown
- Oil Creek State Park (to talk about Titusville) and the ghost town of Petroleum Center.
- Abandoned Rail Tunnel on PA 8

The date isn't secure yet. I'd prefer mid-April to mid-June 2024 to avoid snow concerns or blazing heat concerns, though the latter is tougher to guarantee that time of year. It's so far out I don't want to pick a date yet.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

jpi

Will keep this in mind, been years since I was in this part of my home state
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

baugh17

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 30, 2023, 10:41:11 PM
Pennsylvania Oil Country/French Creek Road Meet - Late Spring 2024

It's been several years since I've gotten to host a road meet and I'm known for hyperlocal meets. This is one I've wanted to do for several years and I finally have a list of stuff to put together a full meet. Another thing I'm known for is meets involving lots of bridges. This will definitely have some bridges.
The date isn't secure yet. I'd prefer mid-April to mid-June 2024 to avoid snow concerns or blazing heat concerns, though the latter is tougher to guarantee that time of year. It's so far out I don't want to pick a date yet.

Definitely interested in this.  The only block of time that I'm not available, as of now, is the first week in April since we have tentative plans to travel to Virginia.  But still a lot of time between now and then.

vdeane

I think Meadville is in the path of totality, so the eclipse is something to keep in mind too - whether to make it an "eclipse meet" or to avoid that time entirely.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dougtone

Quote from: vdeane on June 01, 2023, 12:58:08 PM
I think Meadville is in the path of totality, so the eclipse is something to keep in mind too - whether to make it an "eclipse meet" or to avoid that time entirely.

Meadville definitely is within the path of totality, so is Titusville.
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/pennsylvania-2024-eclipse

Roadgeek Adam

I would think people would want to have their own eclipse plans and wouldn't want to overrun those.
Adam Seth Moss

oscar

Quote from: Dougtone on June 01, 2023, 08:02:49 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 01, 2023, 12:58:08 PM

Meadville definitely is within the path of totality, so is Titusville.
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/pennsylvania-2024-eclipse

But the eclipse will be on Monday, April 8, 2024. Harder to combine that with a weekend meet.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 01, 2023, 08:17:56 PM
I guess we all forgot about this planned meet.  (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32064.0)

Relax. I never picked a date. I have a range of mid-April (which would eliminate April 8 anyway) to mid-June.
Adam Seth Moss

74/171FAN

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 01, 2023, 08:43:54 PM
I guess we all forgot about this planned meet.  (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32064.0)

Relax. I never picked a date. I have a range of mid-April (which would eliminate April 8 anyway) to mid-June.

It would be useful to listen to Aaron Rodgers in that regard more often.   :nod:

I just thought it was odd that we went in "eclipse meet" mode when that was already discussed elsewhere.  Honestly glad you already squashed that.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tckma

I'll keep this meet in mind.  I've never been to that part of Pennsylvania.

vdeane

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 02, 2023, 06:15:29 AM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 01, 2023, 08:43:54 PM

It would be useful to listen to Aaron Rodgers in that regard more often.   :nod:

I just thought it was odd that we went in "eclipse meet" mode when that was already discussed elsewhere.  Honestly glad you already squashed that.
Honestly, given that that meat was proposed last year and hasn't been discussed (here) since, I kinda did (and because every variation of my actual eclipse plans keep me in NY).  Is that still alive?  I'm not a member of St. Louis Roads.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dgolub

Laura

I'm interested in this. I'm curious how many other people would be interested in this as an eclipse weekend meet, because I would definitely be down for that. Right now I have a hotel booked right outside totality in Youngstown, OH, with the intent of driving into totality that morning. Otherwise, my vote would be for late June to be as far as possible from the eclipse.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Laura on July 04, 2023, 11:35:59 PM
I'm interested in this. I'm curious how many other people would be interested in this as an eclipse weekend meet, because I would definitely be down for that. Right now I have a hotel booked right outside totality in Youngstown, OH, with the intent of driving into totality that morning. Otherwise, my vote would be for late June to be as far as possible from the eclipse.

While that seems unlikely at this point, I do need to keep this meet in mind if I decide to move forward with a meet on the north side of Pittsburgh in Cranberry focused on PA 228/Freedom Rd.

Roadgeek Adam

Look. I don't really want to interrupt people's plans for eclipse showing. Not to mention, I won't have to actually go anywhere because I can just step outside and look at it, living in the eastern suburbs of Buffalo
Adam Seth Moss

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 10, 2023, 01:02:53 PM
Look. I don't really want to interrupt people's plans for eclipse showing. Not to mention, I won't have to actually go anywhere because I can just step outside and look at it, living in the eastern suburbs of Buffalo
This past April, 2 out of every 3 days were cloudy in central/western NY.  Nasty odds to see the eclipse, especially since it's earlier in the month.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Laura

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 10, 2023, 01:02:53 PM

Fair. My vote then is for early June (1 or 8).

corco

Roadgeek Adam

So I'm likely thinking the 15th or 22nd of June 2024. The other debate is whether or not to move the starting point to Cambridge Springs. We'll see though.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

The restaurant and the Facebook post are set. There is also a first version of the tour route available in PDF form. 11 pages at the moment.

June 15, 2024, 11 am.
Triple Deuce Saloon
15755 Route 6 (and 19), Meadville, Pennsylvania 16335
Adam Seth Moss

Laura

Unfortunately, we can't attend this meet because of Father's Day being the next day on Sunday the 16th.

Rothman

Quote from: Laura on March 07, 2024, 11:35:11 AM
Unfortunately, we can't attend this meet because of Father's Day being the next day on Sunday the 16th.

Celebrate it in Oil City!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.