News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Takedown on the Speed kills myth

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 21, 2013, 09:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

FWIW, I tend to stick within +5 mph on slower city streets, particularly in neighborhoods. On unfamiliar 2-lanes, on narrower 2-lanes with no shoulders, or in areas that are more heavily patrolled, I'll also stick within +5 mph of the limit.

Otherwise, I cap my travel speeds at +10 mph over the limit more out of the interest of license preservation than for any real concern about safety. On the interstates I've driven, I've seen posted speeds go from 55 mph to 70 mph without much change in how they operate, or any real fear for my personal safety. The reason is that these roads were built for these speeds, and frequently are capable of faster. Same goes for higher-quality 2-lanes and 4-lanes in rural areas.

Am I advocating that every area needs to start posting their freeways for 85 mph and their 2-lanes for 75 mph? Certainly not! There's a gigantic difference between West Texas nothingness and heavily-traveled Midwest 2-lanes, or the kinked-up 2-lanes snaking through the Appalachians.

What I am asking for is for speed limits that genuinely reflect the fastest reasonable speed on a given stretch of road, not speed limits dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

agentsteel53

Quote from: JREwing78 on September 23, 2013, 11:21:05 PMThe driver beside me in the passing lanes wouldn't speed up or slow down to let me back over.

it's fuckheads like this that need to have their licenses taken away.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.