News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tapatalk update required?

Started by vtk, October 06, 2015, 05:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

I tried to log in to the forum with Tapatalk this morning and got the message "pirated version of APP". It's the same version I used yesterday, which I had installed some time ago through Google Play Store. There is a new version available, but I hesitate to install it because it has numerous reviews that talk about broken features and reduced reliability. Why can't I continue using the app version that works for me?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Thing 342

Because Tapatalk. Seriously, this app is the worst. I'm surprised there hasn't been some sort of competitor to it, given how mind-numbingly useless the app is. Every update seems to remove a feature I use and replace it with one I don't.

1995hoo

I haven't had any problems with it, though I also do not recall when I last updated it. I had something like 20 app updates waiting in queue this weekend because I didn't want to use cellular data to download them while we were on vacation (my brother-in-law doesn't have a wireless router at his house), so I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to what the apps themselves were before hitting "Update All."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vtk

But I think something with the forum changed.  Like, since yesterday, it no longer recognizes the (old-ish) Tapatalk version I use as legitimate.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: vtk on October 06, 2015, 03:48:48 PM
But I think something with the forum changed.  Like, since yesterday, it no longer recognizes the (old-ish) Tapatalk version I use as legitimate.

Nothing has been changed here that I know of.  I think I might have to upgrade the copy of Tapatalk that we have installed here.

Is anybody else having a problem with that app?

Zeffy

Quote from: Thing 342 on October 06, 2015, 08:44:32 AM
Because Tapatalk. Seriously, this app is the worst. I'm surprised there hasn't been some sort of competitor to it, given how mind-numbingly useless the app is. Every update seems to remove a feature I use and replace it with one I don't.

I have never had any problems (minus some weird image glitch) with viewing the forums on Safari using my iPhone 6. I have never installed Tapatalk and never will, mainly because I don't see the advantage to it at all.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Pete from Boston

I got a new phone and use the old one occasionally on wi-fi (it sits around the house in retirement as an internet dummy).  The new version is different, and like many apps, fails to surmount the hiccups that come with its desired complexity.

The old one was much simpler and more effective at being a background framework for viewing various forums.  This one wants me to "join Taptalk," for lack of a better way to put it, and have all the forums just blend into my "Tapatalk feed."

In short, it wants to greatly enrich your online experience, and wants to be at the heart of that online enriched experience.

vtk

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 06, 2015, 10:34:48 PM
Quote from: vtk on October 06, 2015, 03:48:48 PM

Nothing has been changed here that I know of.  I think I might have to upgrade the copy of Tapatalk that we have installed here.

I just tried again with the same old version I've been using, and it works now.

SSOWorld

I have found that attempting to log into the forum on my iPad is essentially blocked due to Tapa's desperate need to be its host.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 08, 2015, 07:34:57 PM
I have found that attempting to log into the forum on my iPad is essentially blocked due to Tapa's desperate need to be its host.

I never had that problem on my Android tablet, but I never installed Tapatalk's app on it.

1995hoo

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 08, 2015, 07:34:57 PM

I have had no issues with the Tapatalk iPad app and this forum except right when the forum first rolled out the feature (I had to clear the Tapatalk cache, close the app, and restart it before it would display the forum).

hbelkins

Are there any real advantages to using the forum via Tapatalk on the iPad vs. using the browser?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

Quote from: hbelkins on October 09, 2015, 09:39:26 PM
Are there any real advantages to using the forum via Tapatalk on the iPad vs. using the browser?

If the forum works well for you in the browser, probably not.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on October 09, 2015, 09:39:26 PM

I go back and forth between the two. Main thing is just not having to zoom in to tap on thread names and not having to use the back button, the latter because it displays threads on the left and the threads' contents on the right.

Sample iPad screenshot (this is not recent, it's from a post I made in 2013):

Pete from Boston

Wow, much nicer than on the phone.

sbeaver44

I had a different phone before August and used Tapatalk with this forum there.  Since I got the Nexus 6P in August, I have not been able to get Tapatalk to log in, and I have tried on several occasions and on different networks.  Anyone else having this issue?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.