News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What Music Do You Like?

Started by roadgeek01, May 03, 2017, 04:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slorydn1

60's,70's 80's 90's and some of the 2000's music-mostly rock, some country, really all over the map.

It's nice to see that some of the younger folks here appreciate the old stuff. I love it when I come home from work and my 17 year old has some Foghat or Deep Purple cranked up.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

hm insulators

Primarily heavy metal. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rush, AC/DC, UFO, and an entire laundry list of others.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

formulanone

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 08, 2017, 03:53:30 PM
I personally am a smooth jazz fan myself, which is what got me into the color pink since when I listen to smooth jazz I think of the color pink.

I dunno, something kind of blue works for me.

stormwatch7721

I like pop and country music. I like 1990-2017 singers like Shania Twain, Taylor Swift and Tove Lo.

roadman65

I like anything, but anything related to rap doesn't interest me such as hip hop and modern R & B.  I do like classic R & B songs and most of what I have liked I play on All Noise Radio.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Anything from the 70s, 80s or 90s. The 2000s and newer I could care less about.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kphoger

I'm not sure how to answer this, exactly.

I like a lot of different music, from classical to alternative to jazz to country to foreign to bluegrass and the list goes on.  Maybe the best way to answer is to think about what I usually put on at work.  I play full albums on YouTube while I work, and these are my usual picks:
REM
U2
Hillsong United
various other contermporary Christian artists
Suzanne Vega
Greg Brown
Enya
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Delerium
Enigma
Nanci Griffith
10,000 Maniacs

If more music were available on YouTube by the following artists, I would listen to more of them as well:
Bob Dylan
The Beatles
Frank Zappa

I play drums in my church every week, and I can also play acoustic guitar and piano (among other things).

My big dislikes are rap and opera.  Most everything else is at least tolerable.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

Here are a few: A Perfect Circle, Alice In Chains, Audioslave, Bassnectar, The Beatles, Bruce Dickinson, BT, Catherine Wheel, The Crystal Method, Deftones, Failure, Faith No More, Foo Fighters, The Frogs, How To Destroy Angels, Iron Maiden, Johnny Cash, Judas Priest, Merle Haggard, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Porcupine Tree,  Puscifer, R.E.M., Radiohead, Rob Dickinson, Scarface, Slayer, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Tool, Tori Amos, Tricky, Wesley Willis Fiasco, 30 Seconds To Mars.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 09, 2017, 03:40:04 AM
60's,70's 80's 90's and some of the 2000's music-mostly rock, some country, really all over the map.

It's nice to see that some of the younger folks here appreciate the old stuff. I love it when I come home from work and my 17 year old has some Foghat or Deep Purple cranked up.
I mean, I enjoy some mid 90s to early 2000s music.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

berberry

I've always loved a very wide range of music, including rock, heavy metal, dance music, pop, alternative and even classical. In the past decade or so I've been expanding into a lot of rock precursor music, mostly from the late 1940s and early 1950s.

I've been a Les Paul fan for many years, but until a few years ago I was only familiar with his later music with artists like Chet Atkins. I knew he had famously invented multi-track recording, but for some reason until about 10 years ago I never listened to any of those early recordings he made with his then wife, Mary Ford. But once I started listening to it I quickly realized what a profound impact these pre-rock hits had on later artists, even into the heavy metal era.

Les Paul & Mary Ford introduced the world to the unique sound of multi-track recording (and in the process, lip-syncing on TV) in 1951, with the hit single 'How High The Moon'.

roadman65

I wish they would play more of the new stuff of the old time artists.  Then again it gives us an excuse for buying cds or the songs on line and not let the radio stations play out the good songs to the point you hate em.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

-Country, but not so much modern country. The good old fashioned stuff.
-Exception: Florida Georgia Line. Probably Round Here and Simple are my favorites.
-Anything by Rob Thomas, and I do mean anything. Smooth by Santana/Rob Thomas has become my new favorite song of all time.
It was released in 1999, too, so that makes it even more magical for me since that was the year I was born. I think the '90s would have been a super fun era to grow up in.

Konza

Having watched "the Blues Brothers" earlier this week, I can say that I like both kinds of music:

Country AND Western.

That being said, I probably haven't listened to top 40 country in 10 years; when my car radio is tuned to a country station, it's usually 80's/90's country or classic country.

I'll listen to 60's and 70's rock.  Right now, Radio Margaritaville is paying "Hotel California" and I am far from complaining.

Before everything was cancelled, I had tickets to see the Eagles, Alan Jackson, Marty Stuart, and Robert Earl Keen this Spring.  Last fall, I drove up to Las Vegas to see Willie Nelson one night, and Jimmy Buffett the next.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

US71

A little of everything except Rap and HipHop.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 06, 2017, 10:17:02 PM
Quote from: roadgeek01 on May 04, 2017, 05:50:32 PM
ELO? Aw, yeah! :clap:  What's your favorite song by them?
"Calling America"

Totally realize how old this is, but I have to thank you for introducing me to this gem.  :thumbsup:
Doesn't exactly give me goosebumps or hit me on an emotional level, but it's just the perfect blend of deep, catchy, and feel-good that I wish could go on forever.

STLmapboy

Some 80/90s (Depeche Mode, Nirvana, REM, Nine Inch Nails, AC/DC, etc.) I like songs with strong minor-key themes and/or a dominating, dark bassline. Really anything with a distinctive riff will catch my eye though (Finger 11's "Paralyzer," Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street, etc.). Occasionally I'll look into older stuff like "Venus" by Shocking Blue or above-mentioned ELO (Evil Woman is a personal favorite).

EDIT: I also enjoy some 80s/90s rap, like Warren G's "Regulate" and Tone Loc's "Funky Cold Medina."
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: webny99 on June 04, 2020, 09:23:38 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 06, 2017, 10:17:02 PM
Quote from: roadgeek01 on May 04, 2017, 05:50:32 PM
ELO? Aw, yeah! :clap:  What's your favorite song by them?
"Calling America"

Totally realize how old this is, but I have to thank you for introducing me to this gem.  :thumbsup:
Doesn't exactly give me goosebumps or hit me on an emotional level, but it's just the perfect blend of deep, catchy, and feel-good that I wish could go on forever.

If you like that, you'd also enjoy "Telephone Line".

Incidentally, I love any 80's song - any song period, really, that uses a lot of synth. It was used the most and the best in that time period though imo. Also songs that are super atmospheric, which is why I love "Telephone Line" - combines synth and atmosphere - a lot of ELO's work was like that. Some of my other favorites: "Party All the Time" - Eddie Murphy, "Stand or Fall" - the Fixx, "West End Girls" - Pet Shop Boys, "Shock the Monkey" - Peter Gabriel, "Jeopardy" - Greg Kihn, the entire "Cargo" album by Men At Work, and the entire "Pleasure Victim" album by Berlin.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

mgk920

My total taste in tunes is pretty eclectic, pretty much anything except modern country (the genre 'jumped the shark' in the early 1980s with the Urban Cowboy craze), hard core gangsta (c)rap (if I can't read the lyrics out loud in prose form in a public forvm without running afoul of the PC Police....), death metal and the like.

I especially like catchy stuff that would be played in clubs from the 1970s up to the present such as 'club' disco, 1980s new wave, electronica, 'house', trance and so forth.

Good rock from the 1960s to the present is up there, too.

I very much like ELO's Calling America, too, although I really think that they lost their way as a band when they fired their string section.
One Elton John title that I've always liked is Nikita (1986) - The endgame years of the Cold War was when I came of age.  (I'm a bit surprised that he never followed that one up in 1990 or so.)

Mike

kendancy66

Beatles
Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR)
Cream
Derek and the Dominos
Allman Brothers Band
Steely Dan
Lynrd Skynrd
R.E.M.
Police
Nirvana
Pearl Jam

iPhone

jmacswimmer

AJR & Post Malone are my 2 favorites at the moment (who, perhaps not-so-coincidentally, are the last 2 I saw in concert before gathering sizes started being limited).

Also currently into The Weeknd, Childish Gambino, & 21 Pilots.  Always enjoy a good rock band as well, such as Linkin Park, Rise Against, Three Days Grace, Fall Out Boy, 30 Seconds to Mars, & (only if I'm in an especially angsty mood) Disturbed.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Roadrunner75

Quote from: inkyatari on May 05, 2017, 09:28:40 AM
Favorite songs:

By King's X:

Mississippi Moon
Over My Head
Dogman
It's Love
Pray
Summerland
The Burning Down

I used to like King's X a lot during my high school years.  I saw them at least twice - once opening for Billy Squier at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby (very late 80s?) and then again headlining at the Trocadero in Philly.  After maybe the first 5 albums or so I stopped really keeping up with them.  Somewhere I have a drumstick that Jerry Gaskill tossed me and Doug Pinnicks's bass pick from one of those shows.

I like a lot of the other bands referenced in the full quoted post above as well as those mentioned by others, but King's X stood out because I rarely hear anyone mention them.

Chris

I prefer the older stuff too, never cared much for post-2000 pop music, I don't listen to any pop music from the last 10 years, every time I attempted to see what's popular I was greatly disappointed. I don't understand the attraction to the auto-tuned, no actual instruments, loud, similarly produced hit songs of today.

Rock music from the late 1960s to the early 1990s and general pop music from the 1980s has my preference. Almost all of that is older than I am. I think my favorite music are the Pink Floyd albums from the 1970s.

I do listen to some newer albums, such as Dream Theater, John Mayer or Joe Bonamassa. And I don't mind a good EDM track playing along a timelapse highway video.

golden eagle

80s
Old-school rap
90s rock

Scott5114

This is a next to impossible question for me to answer. My musical tastes are...fickle. I cannot predict whether I'll like anything or not by the genre or even the artist. My phone is a mish-mash of singles. I am guessing that there is something all the songs I like have in common, but I don't know enough music theory to be able to express it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.