News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

In no particular order, who are the five most famous people you've met?

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, September 21, 2019, 01:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

John Cooper (Former Arizona St & Ohio St football coach)
Buddy Guy (noted guitar player and singer)
Andy Geiger (Former Ohio State Athletic Director)
Scoonie Penn (Basketball star at Ohio State)
Lloyd "Teddy" Johnson (Juke Joint owner and occasional actor)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

ce929wax

I don't know if this counts, but I did shake hands with "Paws", who is the Detroit Tiger mascot, at a Mental Health rally in Lansing several years ago.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on September 25, 2019, 02:35:42 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 25, 2019, 12:48:59 PM
Nobody that I would consider to be super-famous, but the five most recognizable names:

Lou Holtz
Jerome Bettis
Dick Vitale
Richard Lugar
Otis Bowen

I would definitely consider the four whose names I recognized as being famous. Don't know who Otis Bowen is.

Bowen is from my hometown, was Governor of Indiana in the 70s and Secretary of HHS under Reagan.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on September 25, 2019, 03:51:43 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 24, 2019, 02:38:57 PM
Hmm, I've met people who are famous only in certain circles.  I don't know if any of their names would be recognized here.

Same here. I can't think of one person I've met that would have universal name recognition with the US population at large.

Conversely, I recognize very few of the names others have posted. I think corco's list is the only one where I even recognize two of the names (the first two). Unless I missed something, I believe I recognized no more than one name from anyone else's list. Generally speaking, if you have to tell us who they are, they aren't that famous. But I guess you just can't expect to meet many truly famous people when there's only so many to go around.

Interesting, because I figured on my list the odds were Raisa Gorbachev's name would be the least-recognized given how prominent Rod Rosenstein and Merrick Garland have been in the news over the past three years (had they not been in the news so much, I doubt I would have included them on my list).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: Beltway on September 25, 2019, 04:03:11 PM
Universal name recognition with the U.S. population at large?  How many other than U.S. presidents would meet that criteria? 

Hmm. It would be interesting to try to make a list (of categories, not necessarily individual people). I would say vice presidents, at least recent ones. And most people should know who their home-state governors and US senators are. Though not all 50 senators (I might be able to name about half, and that's probably above average).

Leaders of other countries: I would think most people know the big ones, like the UK, China, and Russia. I could be wrong though.

Everybody should know at least a few sports names, even people like me who pay little to no attention to sports. Tom Brady, for example. LeBron James. Wayne Gretzky, possibly.

Science is an interesting one. I can't think of any that are currently alive, but maybe there are some alive now that will be famous to future generations (like Albert Einstein).

No doubt there are more categories that could be covered.

webny99

Quote from: cl94 on September 25, 2019, 09:13:16 PM
Some big names here and some smaller ones, but even the smallest name is pretty damn prominent in the scientific fields

Congrats! You are tied with corco for having the most names on your list that I recognize (two)!

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 26, 2019, 08:39:26 AM
Quote from: webny99 on September 25, 2019, 03:51:43 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 24, 2019, 02:38:57 PM
Hmm, I've met people who are famous only in certain circles.  I don't know if any of their names would be recognized here.
Same here. I can't think of one person I've met that would have universal name recognition with the US population at large.
Conversely, I recognize very few of the names others have posted. I think corco's list is the only one where I even recognize two of the names (the first two). Unless I missed something, I believe I recognized no more than one name from anyone else's list. Generally speaking, if you have to tell us who they are, they aren't that famous. But I guess you just can't expect to meet many truly famous people when there's only so many to go around.
Interesting, because I figured on my list the odds were Raisa Gorbachev's name would be the least-recognized given how prominent Rod Rosenstein and Merrick Garland have been in the news over the past three years (had they not been in the news so much, I doubt I would have included them on my list).

You did mean to quote me, right? I only ask because I didn't say anything about Gorbachev...

Now that I look back at your list, I do recognize both Merrick Garland and Rod Rosenstein. I likely would have identified that sooner if they hadn't been on the same line. I also recognize Gorbachev as the last name of a former Russian leader, but don't recognize the first name, so I guess that counts as 0.5.
All told, 2.5/6 = 41.6%, which is slightly better than 2/5 =40%, so I guess you've edged the others out!

(Maybe it seems a bit pompous to use myself as a proxy for deciding if someone is famous, in which case, please accept my apologies!  ;-))

1995hoo

QuoteYou did mean to quote me, right? I only ask because I didn't say anything about Gorbachev...

Yes, I meant to quote you because of your comment about not recognizing even two names on any list except corco's. I figured because mine involved a member of the British Royal Family, a notorious former mayor of the District of Columbia (who was also, to be fair, prominent in the Civil Rights Movement years earlier), and two people whose names have been in the news a lot over the past three years or so, that most of them wouldn't be "niche famous" or something like that. I could see why someone might not know who Mrs. Gorbachev was, and I could see why someone who doesn't follow sports and doesn't live in the DC area might not know of Alex Ovechkin.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

DandyDan

In chronological order
1. Ernie Banks- Mr. Cub did a promotion at the grocery store I worked at during my high school years in the Chicago suburbs.
2. Ben Nelson- Former governor and senator of Nebraska Actually met him twice. First time he was campaigning for governor at the Omaha Lancers game I attended. Second time was when he was Senator and I flew on the same flight to DC with him. I felt severely underdressed on that flight.
3. Mike Johanns- Also a former governor and senator from Nebraska and also former Secretary of Agriculture for G.W. Bush. At an event in Omaha.
4. Dean Steinkuhler- Nebraska Husker football legend and 1983 Outland Trophy winner. This was at a strip club. FWIW, I met then-current Husker football players at the same strip club the night before they played in the game the next day.
5. Doug McDermott- Creighton Bluejay basketball legend and possibly still in the NBA, at Chipotle in Omaha.

There's 4 other people I met with Wikipedia articles, but I can't really call them famous. One guy I went to high school with got elected to the Illinois legislature, so he gets an article just for that, but to call him famous would be crazy.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

index

Quote from: index on September 21, 2019, 10:43:26 PM
Bernie Sanders, twice. (Senator from VT and 2020 presidential candidate) I also have a picture with him.
Pat McCrory (former Governor of North Carolina)
Nina Turner (former Ohio State Senator and Sanders campaign co-chair)
Some NFL player came to do a motivational speech at my school when I was younger, this was >years< ago and I have no idea who he was or who he played for. I did shake his hand though.

And that's about it...I haven't met much well known people. One of the staff at my old middle school was related to the one of Oklahoma City bombers, Timothy McVeigh, so there's that...

I also just remembered the David Bartell, astrophysicist and author. He's showed up on a few National Geographic TV programs before.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

briantroutman

Since this thread got resurrected, I realized that I actually have met a few people who are reasonably well known.

Bruce Williams - At one time, the most-listened-to talk radio host in the country, providing callers advice on financial and business matters. I became a dedicated listener at age four and met him at his last personal appearance 25 years later. He passed away last year.

Leo Laporte - In the late '90s/early '00s, the prominent face of ZDTV (later TechTV). Leo went on to form a netcast channel, TWiT, where he remains today. At TWiT's studios in Petaluma, CA, some shows allow studio audiences, and he's very approachable afterwards.

Steve Smith - Known to Canadians (and Saturday night PBS viewers) as Red Green. I saw his one-man show in Owen Sound, ON and met him at a signing afterwards. In sharp contrast to Red Green's low, gruff voice, Steve's natural tenor voice is surprisingly gentle.

Gregg Turkington - Best known as abrasive, disheveled anti comedian Neil Hamburger. I met him after a performance at a divey comedy club in Sacramento, and we talked for a few minutes. Out of his Neil character, he seemed like quite a nice guy.

Joe Negri - An incredibly talented jazz guitarist, but much better known as Handyman Negri on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. As of two years ago, he was still performing at age 91. I met him before a benefit concert in the Pittsburgh area. He struck me as being an utterly genuine and kind person.

Scott5114

Quote from: briantroutman on April 04, 2020, 01:47:05 AM
Steve Smith

I also met Steve Smith.

Steve Smith was my first band director.

It was probably a different Steve Smith.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bulldog1979

Let's see, I've met:

• Peter Yarrow, the Peter of Peter, Paul and Mary;
  • Keith Colburn, of Deadliest Catch;
  • Steve Mariucci, former head coach of the San Francisco 49ers and the Detroit Lions;
  • Tom Izzo, head coach of the MSU men's basketball team;
  • Mason Crosby, kicker and leading points scorer for the Green Bay Packers;

In the next tier, I've met Nathan Oystrick (played for the Anaheim Ducks and St. Louis Blues), Zach Trotman (Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins), Dallas Drake (Detroit Red Wings), and Justin Florek (Boston Bruins) of the NHL. In politics, I've met Gretchen Whitmer, Debbie Stabenow, Jack Bergman, Dan Beneshek, Bart Stupak and a handful of state representatives and senators.

Route66Fan

A couple of famous people I have met are:
Bob Nelson (A stand-up comedian\actor, kind of like Red Skelton.)
Steve Smith, a.k.a "Red Green"

CNGL-Leudimin

Well, I've not met anyone who is internationally famous yet. Of all the people I've met, the best known one is a kindergarten classmate who went to appear in MasterChef Spain, reaching as far as the final and eventually placing as the runner-up.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CoreySamson

I didn't really meet him, but my basketball team about 5 years ago got to get basketballs from Houston Rockets starters while they made their entrance onto the court, and I got mine from Jeremy Lin.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

-- US 175 --

When I think back, amazingly enough, I've met more well-known folks than I'd think I ever would.  I'm rarely ever anywhere special where stars/celebrities/famous people would be.

* Guillermo (Jimmy Kimmel's show) - was in town to do a feature about the restaurateur that came up with the margarita.  Guillermo and the crew stayed at my hotel; Jimmy didn't come along.
* Randy White (ex- Dallas Cowboys) - checked out at my register once when I cashiered for a while at a drug store.
* Drew Pearson (ex- Dallas Cowboys) - several of his family members stayed at a hotel I used to work at years ago; he checked them all in while I was on duty.
* Stanley Marcus (exec/descendant of the founders of Neiman Marcus) - the late Dallas business icon was having a book-signing during the store's 90th anniversary.
* Charlotte Rae (Facts of Life) - had an appearance at a bookstore where I was working; she was promoting a children's book-on-tape she was a part of, during the store's grand opening.

There are others of various notariety.  Paige Davis (host of Trading Spaces), Robert Sakowitz (exec/descendant of the founders of Sakowitz, a former Houston department store chain), Kidd Kraddick (the late radio morning show host), Jeff Golub (smooth jazz guitarist who has since passed on), as well as a few local TV reporters/anchors, and several actors from soaps at various appearances over the years.

Flint1979

Gordie Howe - one of the greatest hockey players ever.
J.P. McCarthy - legendary Detroit morning show host on 760 WJR.
Al Kaline - Tigers legend. Met him at a hotel in Toronto.
Sparky Anderson - legendary baseball manager. Met him about a minute after meeting Kaline.
Jerome Bettis - Pittsburgh Steelers. Born in Detroit I met him playing crabs at MGM Grand in Detroit.

qguy

Soupy Sales, in the mezzanine hallway at Yankee Stadium when I was eight
Joe Paterno, Penn State football coach
James Irwin, Apollo 15 moonwalker
Bill Bennett, Reagan admin Sec of Ed, Bush the elder admin drug czar
Shirley Temple

kwellada

Penn Jillette from Penn & Teller fame
Jello Biafra from the Dead Kennedys
Scott McInnis (former Colorado politician)
Nicholas Lea who played Krycek on The X-Files
All the members of Anthrax (circa 1998)

Buck87

Jack Nicklaus - all time leader in golf majors
Jim Tressel - former Ohio State football coach

Flint1979

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 04, 2020, 04:54:47 PM
Gordie Howe - one of the greatest hockey players ever.
J.P. McCarthy - legendary Detroit morning show host on 760 WJR.
Al Kaline - Tigers legend. Met him at a hotel in Toronto.
Sparky Anderson - legendary baseball manager. Met him about a minute after meeting Kaline.
Jerome Bettis - Pittsburgh Steelers. Born in Detroit I met him playing crabs at MGM Grand in Detroit.
Kind of ironically Al Kaline passed away two days after I made this post.

jp the roadgeek

Former US Senator and VP candidate Joe Lieberman (at his office in DC)
Hank Aaron (at an autograph session at New Haven Coliseum)
Tony LaRussa (crossing the street in downtown Baltimore)
Johnny Mize (at a signing event in Hartford.  He talked to my mom quite a bit)
Barry Larkin (at a hotel in Montreal.  The Reds were checking in at the same time we were Had my picture taken with him.  Did get a chance to see Pete Rose's suitcase.  From the small world department: this was about a couple of weeks after Rob Dibble was called up to the majors; his dad was a customer of my father's, so we made sure we caught up with him). 

A couple other notables: Kara Wolters (was eating dinner across the bar from her at an On the Border.  Talked for a bit, as my group and hers were the only ones in there).  Johnny Pesky (at ALCS Game 2 in 1986; was sitting a few rows in front of my dad and I.  My dad pointed him out and I went and got my ticket stub signed).  Kemba Walker (when he was still at UConn; at a TGI Fridays with a few teammates). 

There's some others I've seen (outside of events) but not met.  Saw Bob Dylan crossing the street in Secaucus, NJ while in the back of a cab.  Saw Rene Russo playing the slots at Foxwoods.  Walked right by Howard Stern walking out of Stew Leonards as I was going in (no one recognized him except for my mom and I).   I was in the clubhouse at a golf tournament when former President Gerald Ford passed through.  I also managed to catch a Jordan autograph when I was a kid at the same golf tournament by taking a fall.  The usher saw me, took my piece of memorabilia, and had him sign it.   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

I often wonder if people mistake close lookalikes for celebrities.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kendancy66

Quote from: dlsterner on September 22, 2019, 12:38:20 AM
Assuming "met" involves at least a handshake and/or a few words exchanged.  So no using sporting events nor concerts, unless the prior condition happened.

In no particular order:

Jimmy Carter (post-presidency, about 10-15 years ago)
William Donald Schaefer (former Mayor of Baltimore and former Governor of Maryland)
Larry Hogan (current Governor of Maryland)
Boog Powell (former 1B for the Baltimore Orioles, 1970 AL MVP)
Robert Packwood (former US Senator from Oregon)
I also met a Larry Hogan who was a congressman. But  I believe that was his father?  My former boss was his nephew and "Uncle Larry"  was one the company's customers. I went to his house to fix his computer

iPhone

dlsterner

Quote from: kendancy66 on April 24, 2020, 10:15:49 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on September 22, 2019, 12:38:20 AM
Assuming "met" involves at least a handshake and/or a few words exchanged.  So no using sporting events nor concerts, unless the prior condition happened.

In no particular order:

Jimmy Carter (post-presidency, about 10-15 years ago)
William Donald Schaefer (former Mayor of Baltimore and former Governor of Maryland)
Larry Hogan (current Governor of Maryland)
Boog Powell (former 1B for the Baltimore Orioles, 1970 AL MVP)
Robert Packwood (former US Senator from Oregon)
I also met a Larry Hogan who was a congressman. But  I believe that was his father?  My former boss was his nephew and "Uncle Larry"  was one the company's customers. I went to his house to fix his computer

iPhone

Yes, Larry Hogan (current Governor of Maryland) is the son of Lawrence Hogan (1928-2017) who was a Maryland State congressman.  Although Wikipedia seems to indicate that the elder Hogan was known (at least politically) as "Lawrence" and not "Larry".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.