News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Started by webny99, March 03, 2023, 03:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on May 19, 2023, 12:07:17 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 18, 2023, 12:23:54 PM
Side note: The 2023 annular eclipse is the same day as election day in Louisiana. People living there will have to choose whether to vote or to see the eclipse in Texas.

Two words: absentee ballots.

Depends on whether Louisiana requires an excuse to vote absentee, and if so what qualifies as an excuse.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

GaryV

Quote from: oscar on May 19, 2023, 12:39:15 PM
Side note: The 2023 annular eclipse is the same day as election day in Louisiana. People living there will have to choose whether to vote or to see the eclipse in Texas.

Depends on whether Louisiana requires an excuse to vote absentee, and if so what qualifies as an excuse.

Travel out of state usually qualifies. You aren't required to say why you are traveling.

Bruce

According to a few voter's guides, it seems out-of-state travel is a valid qualifier for an absentee ballot in Louisiana.

Of course, this would be easier if we had automatic mail voting nationwide (it works just fine in states that do have it, and I can't imagine any other way). I've voted from a plane, a train, and a rest stop in the middle of nowhere, all at my leisure.

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on May 19, 2023, 12:39:15 PM

I'm not exactly sure what Kentucky's procedure is now, as my policy is to only vote in-person on Election Day, but in the past you could vote on a machine at the courthouse unless you were going to be away from your local county during all hours when the courthouse was closed. In that case you could vote by mail-in paper absentee.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ZLoth

Quote from: Bruce on May 19, 2023, 04:07:00 PMAccording to a few voter's guides, it seems out-of-state travel is a valid qualifier for an absentee ballot in Louisiana.

Of course, this would be easier if we had automatic mail voting nationwide (it works just fine in states that do have it, and I can't imagine any other way). I've voted from a plane, a train, and a rest stop in the middle of nowhere, all at my leisure.

Texas is very tight about voting absentee. The only way you can request an absentee ballot is under the following circumstances:

• Expected absence from the County during both the early voting period and election day. The ballot must be mailed to an address outside the county.
  • Disability
  • 65 years of age or older
  • Confinement in jail and not finally convicted of a felony
Depending on the type of election, there is a one to two week "early voting" period where you can show up, present your ID, and cast your vote at any of the voting centers in your county, and usually, it's within a few minute drive. That early voting version usually includes a Saturday and sometimes a Sunday as well.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

hotdogPi

Quote from: ZLoth on May 21, 2023, 08:38:44 AM
Quote from: Bruce on May 19, 2023, 04:07:00 PMAccording to a few voter's guides, it seems out-of-state travel is a valid qualifier for an absentee ballot in Louisiana.

Texas is very tight about voting absentee. The only way you can request an absentee ballot is under the following circumstances:

• Expected absence from the County during both the early voting period and election day. The ballot must be mailed to an address outside the county.
  • Disability
  • 65 years of age or older
  • Confinement in jail and not finally convicted of a felony
Depending on the type of election, there is a one to two week "early voting" period where you can show up, present your ID, and cast your vote at any of the voting centers in your county, and usually, it's within a few minute drive. That early voting version usually includes a Saturday and sometimes a Sunday as well.

The event I'm referring to (an annular solar eclipse, not the title of this thread) is in an odd-numbered year and not on November 7. Texas won't be affected by this, since the election that day is only in Louisiana.

Sorry for completely derailing the thread.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

tmoore952

To put this thread "back on its rails"

The 2017 eclipse happened on the day we flew to the UK, so I missed it. I was not in totality area anyway, it was a few hundred miles drive away.

I am not sure what is going on with me wrt 2024 eclipse.

I do plan to travel to see a total solar eclipse at some point, as in a few years I will be retired.
That would include traveling internationally -- e.g., a few years ago, I had considered traveling to southern Chile for a total solar eclipse.
So 2024 for me is not "make or break".
I remember there was a total solar eclipse in Nova Scotia in July (?) 1972. So it's not like I haven't waited a long time, and may have to wait longer.

===============================
To go back to annular eclipses for a moment, you would need to have a telescope filter, or look at leaf shadow, or a pinhole camera. You will not be able to look directly at the sun like you would for a total eclipse.

Bruce

Local libraries in Washington are giving out free eclipse glasses (due to the upcoming annular eclipse this month). Grabbed a few, but apparently not many takers so far.

tmoore952

Quote from: Bruce on October 03, 2023, 06:05:02 PM
Local libraries in Washington are giving out free eclipse glasses (due to the upcoming annular eclipse this month). Grabbed a few, but apparently not many takers so far.

I'm going to write about the "wrong" eclipse here (relative to this thread), but if you read on, it will be clear why.

What happened to the (separate) tread about the Oct. 14 2023 annular eclipse (might have been titled "2023 eclipse")? It seems to have disappeared. I was wondering if anyone out west (in US) experienced this last weekend.

bm7

Quote from: tmoore952 on October 17, 2023, 07:15:40 PM
Quote from: Bruce on October 03, 2023, 06:05:02 PM

I'm going to write about the "wrong" eclipse here (relative to this thread), but if you read on, it will be clear why.

What happened to the (separate) tread about the Oct. 14 2023 annular eclipse (might have been titled "2023 eclipse")? It seems to have disappeared. I was wondering if anyone out west (in US) experienced this last weekend.
It's still there: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33845.0

webny99

Under 7 weeks to the 2024 eclipse, and preparations are ramping up!

Some highly detailed info on the eclipse path and totality length/times can be found here: https://eclipse2024.org/path-north-america.html

Rothman

If you're only preparing now, prices must be through the roof.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ET21

Imagine if the path is complete overcast  :-D :ded:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ET21 on February 20, 2024, 05:10:15 PM

I'm only making the trek if it's expected to be clear.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 20, 2024, 05:20:11 PM

Trek to where?  The path stretches thousands of miles.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

epzik8

Quote from: Rothman on February 20, 2024, 05:34:15 PM

I saw a simulated flyover of said path yesterday, and the odds of that entire thing not being clear are next to none.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

NWI_Irish96

My in-laws house, right in the path of totality. 2½ hour drive normally but probably > 3 that weekend, even with all the back roads I know.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: epzik8 on February 20, 2024, 05:40:47 PM

I saw a simulated flyover of said path yesterday, and the odds of that entire thing not being clear are next to none.

The northern half could plausibly be entirely cloudy, but almost certainly not the entire southern path through Texas and Mexico.

Rothman

Just sat in a meeting today with a bunch of NYSDOT people.  VMS messaging is set but all locations of PVMSes are not, Thruway patrolling "help truck" operations are being ramped up, event lists have been distributed...but a local traffic engineer is sort of shrugging that NYSDOT "must do something" to handle the anticipated crowds (i.e., there's only so much a DOT can do).

Not sure if this is true, but someone said at the meeting that Jefferson County is all booked up and people are looking southward to Syracuse and environs for hotels now.

(personal opinion/perspective emphasized)

webny99

Syracuse is going to have it coming from both directions. Before the eclipse should be manageable, especially with the two days prior being a weekend, but it's after the eclipse that's going to be interesting. The entire Bos-Wash corridor is within driving distance and borderline day-trip range of totality, which wasn't the case in 2017, so there's going to be a lot of traffic returning south/east. If/when issues crop up on I-90/I-81, I'd like to see NYSDOT recommend I-390/I-86 as an alternate.

I am also increasingly concerned about the Niagara Peninsula, where typical traffic is horrible on summer/holiday weekends, all of Toronto having to get south of Burlington to see totality (or 2+ hours east to Belleville) sounds like a nightmare. The QEW/403/407 interchange is going to be carrying the weight of the world post-eclipse and there are ZERO good alternates, so it's almost impossible to see that going well. For anyone in Ontario that doesn't want to cross the border, I would honestly recommend going east instead, or west to at least Woodstock before heading south, so that at least you have the 401 as a viable return alternate.

Rothman

I wonder what will happen to traffic if it's cloudy.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on February 20, 2024, 10:27:45 PM
I wonder what will happen to traffic if it's cloudy.

The drivers will be grumpier.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Genghixiani

Thankfully I have the day off for the 2024 solar eclipse, but this won't be my first solar eclipse in general. First total yeah, but I saw a partial back in like 1st-2nd grade. I think it was the 2017 one.
I am trying my best. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

boilerup25

This eclipse is on my 21st birthday, and Indy isn't too far from West Lafayette, so I'm planning to head out to see it!

Bruce

For 2017, the traffic jams out of the path of totality in Oregon were insane.

This time around I was planning to stick around in the Waco area until it dies down, but my trip mate booked a place in San Antonio...I am not looking forward to the multi-hour slog through Austin.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.