News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Drone Food Deliveries

Started by roadman65, May 03, 2023, 12:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I heard from a cashier in a convenience store, that she believes in possible drones delivering food to your house.

Of course I haven't heard an official report, so this is common everyday talk or gossip. However, the way things are I believe it's possible, even though I don't have proof to say that it's coming soon.

We are in a technological advance period and we all know it's a race to the finish hence Compact Discs that were so innovative when first marketed in the eighties now obsolete. Or the old floppy disc that was the biggest thing for computers also a distant memory to soon be forgotten.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

Current FAA licensing requirements and flight rules  would pretty much make that impossible.

Mike

abefroman329

I think you're a hell of a lot likelier to see delivery by autonomous road vehicles in your lifetime than flying drones, and even those you're probably not gonna see outside of flat, temperate urban areas.

wanderer2575

Who knows?  I was surprised a couple weeks ago to see for the first time a small GrubHub self-driving delivery cart tooling its way across campus.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

Imagining if we had access to Starfleet transporters?!?!

:nod:

Mike

davewiecking

Quote from: mgk920 on May 03, 2023, 01:58:49 PM
Current FAA licensing requirements and flight rules  would pretty much make that impossible.

Mike

I'm curious what FAA regs would prohibit drones delivering food. Walmart's been doing drone deliveries for a few years.
https://corporate.walmart.com/newsroom/2023/01/05/walmart-drone-delivery-by-the-numbers

kalvado

Quote from: davewiecking on May 03, 2023, 08:33:04 PM

Mike

I'm curious what FAA regs would prohibit drones delivering food. Walmart's been doing drone deliveries for a few years.
https://corporate.walmart.com/newsroom/2023/01/05/walmart-drone-delivery-by-the-numbers
As far as I understand, FAA excludes certain airspace (I cannot fly a drone in my backyard, for example) - but hings may be better over the city. But that may change once there is more than a few of those in the sky.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kalvado on May 03, 2023, 09:06:29 PM

Mike

As far as I understand, FAA excludes certain airspace (I cannot fly a drone in my backyard, for example) - but hings may be better over the city. But that may change once there is more than a few of those in the sky.

If you can't fly a drone in your backyard, it's due to other restrictions. There's no restriction per se that doesn't allow someone to fly one over their own property.

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 03, 2023, 09:12:21 PM
Quote from: kalvado on May 03, 2023, 09:06:29 PM

Mike

If you can't fly a drone in your backyard, it's due to other restrictions. There's no restriction per se that doesn't allow someone to fly one over their own property.
It is due to being at the edge of runway exclusion for a certain airport. I believe that runway is even used a few times a year!

mgk920

Pretty much all of the airspace west of the downtown Appleton, WI area is controlled by the tower at ATW, which is well west of the city. Also, commercial deliveries of that sort require special FAA licensing and such UAV pilots will be demanding premium pay if they can even get ATW tower clearance for the individual flights.  Yes, IMHO, many of those rules do need basic rethinking.  One even needs a FAA commercial drone pilot license to take aerial images of properties for a real estate agency.

Mike

kalvado

Quote from: mgk920 on May 03, 2023, 11:11:27 PM
Pretty much all of the airspace west of the downtown Appleton, WI area is controlled by the tower at ATW, which is well west of the city. Also, commercial deliveries of that sort require special FAA licensing and such UAV pilots will be demanding premium pay if they can even get ATW tower clearance for the individual flights.  Yes, IMHO, many of those rules do need basic rethinking.  One even needs a FAA commercial drone pilot license to take aerial images of properties for a real estate agency.

Mike
And FAA as an agency is unwilling and unable to work, only capable of applying regulations in a thoughtless and punitive way. So, don't hold your breath.

skluth

Quote from: kalvado on May 04, 2023, 07:02:53 AM

Mike
And FAA as an agency is unwilling and unable to work, only capable of applying regulations in a thoughtless and punitive way. So, don't hold your breath.

The FAA is only following the laws set up by Congress and international flight regulations agreed to by treaty. If you don't like how they enforce regulations, you need to convince Congress. Blaming an agency for doing what Congress tells them to do is just blaming the messenger for the message.

kalvado

Quote from: skluth on May 04, 2023, 10:48:22 AM
Quote from: kalvado on May 04, 2023, 07:02:53 AM

Mike

The FAA is only following the laws set up by Congress and international flight regulations agreed to by treaty. If you don't like how they enforce regulations, you need to convince Congress. Blaming an agency for doing what Congress tells them to do is just blaming the messenger for the message.
Well, radio altimeters - latest and still ongoing charlie-foxtrot - shows that FAA is unable to do even that.
And by the way, how next gen ATC is doing?

on_wisconsin

Current FAA licensing requirements and flight rules would pretty much make that impossible.

As long as there under/ out of any applicable Class B/ C shelves, avoid Delta, and restricted airspaces don't see how it would be violating airspace rules per se... It may be possible in the near future for corporate owned delivery drones to have ADSB and Mode C transponders which would make them (somewhat) visible to ATC et al.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

mgk920

Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 04, 2023, 11:28:48 AM
Current FAA licensing requirements and flight rules would pretty much make that impossible.

As long as there under/ out of any applicable Class B/ C shelves, avoid Delta, and restricted airspaces don't see how it would be violating airspace rules per se... It may be possible in the near future for corporate owned delivery drones to have ADSB and Mode C transponders which would make them (somewhat) visible to ATC et al.

I would think that a 'treetop' rule for drones (and RC model airplanes, between which I see zero real differences) when flown outside of the airport security fence would be a good compromise (fly it lower than the tallest natural or man-made ground-connected object within a certain radius(75 or 100 meters, for example) of the UAV when within that ATC controlled area), Places where real fixed wing aircraft are ill advised to go.  But I'm not the one making and enforcing those rules.

Mike

roadman65

Well one time coming in to New Orleans my flight was rerouted to another runaway. The reason: someone flying a model plane near the approach to our runway we were supposed to land.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

In_Correct

Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2023, 12:21:50 PM
I heard from a cashier in a convenience store, that she believes in possible drones delivering food to your house.

Of course I haven't heard an official report, so this is common everyday talk or gossip. However, the way things are I believe it's possible, even though I don't have proof to say that it's coming soon.

We are in a technological advance period and we all know it's a race to the finish hence Compact Discs that were so innovative when first marketed in the eighties now obsolete. Or the old floppy disc that was the biggest thing for computers also a distant memory to soon be forgotten.

It would be very convenient for Tachikomas to deliver food for you. However, they would most likely resemble Vending Machines.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.