News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 41 in Florida question

Started by mgk920, November 03, 2009, 01:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

In the image of the 'END US 41' signs in Miami, FL
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=25.76639,-80.191711&spn=0,359.997253&z=19&layer=c&cbll=25.766333,-80.191418&panoid=Eicb7lz3Gb_SV6Naa4-0AQ&cbp=12,87.89,,0,-3.09
I note that they show US 41 as being and east-west highway.  There are 'WEST US 41' signs on that street's westbound counterpart.

Where does US 41 make its transition between being 'north-south' and 'east-west'?

Mike (living a very short distance off of US 41)

agentsteel53

in Naples, I believe.  The old US-94 is the route between Naples and Miami Beach.  41 and 94 used to end at each other, but in 1950, US-94 became an extension of US-41.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

FLRoads

U.S. Highway 41 becomes signed as an east/west route between the eastern end of Loop Road (CR 94) and Florida 997 (Krome Ave/SW 177th Avenue) in Miami-Dade County. It is still signed as a north/south route at Florida 29 north of Everglades City.

Alps

No, 41 turns East-West exactly at the county line.  That's how it's signed from the mainline.

catkins522

From Wikipedia:

The 165 mile (266 km) north-south section (hidden SR 45) extends to Naples, whereupon it becomes an east-west road (hidden SR 90) crossing the Everglades (and forming part of the northern border of Everglades National Park) before becoming Southwest Eighth Street in Miami-Dade County ("Calle Ocho"  in the Little Havana section of Miami).

agentsteel53

Quote from: catkins522 on December 22, 2009, 10:39:41 PM
From Wikipedia:

The 165 mile (266 km) north-south section (hidden SR 45) extends to Naples, whereupon it becomes an east-west road (hidden SR 90) crossing the Everglades (and forming part of the northern border of Everglades National Park) before becoming Southwest Eighth Street in Miami-Dade County ("Calle Ocho"  in the Little Havana section of Miami).

I do believe the first however-many miles of what is physically east-west US-41, heading east out of Nipples, is signed north-south. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jdb1234

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 22, 2009, 10:40:52 PM
Quote from: catkins522 on December 22, 2009, 10:39:41 PM
From Wikipedia:

I do believe the first however-many miles of what is physically east-west US-41, heading east out of Nipples, is signed north-south. 

That would be correct.  I know that at the SR 951 intersection, US 41 is signed North and South. 

Alps

There's no debate.  I was there.  What I said (county line) is how it's signed.

FLRoads

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 03, 2009, 02:00:33 PM
in Naples, I believe.  The old US-94 is the route between Naples and Miami Beach.  41 and 94 used to end at each other, but in 1950, US-94 became an extension of US-41.

And from my 1926 Rand McNally Road Atlas, U.S. 41 and U.S. 94 originally ended in Fort Myers and not Naples!! That was something that I was not aware of...

lamsalfl

Quote from: AlpsROADS on December 23, 2009, 07:10:28 PM
There's no debate.  I was there.  What I said (county line) is how it's signed.

haha, I liked this post. 

leifvanderwall

I think the better question is why not have US 41 end at Naples: takes over Fl. 84 to end at I-75 when it turns into the Alligator Alley Toll Road. And the remaining 41 could be signed as Florida 90 to Miami. I mean US 27 and US 441 already end in Miami and US 1 should probably end there too. Does Miami need US 41 too? I don't think so.

florida

With two routes crossing the Everglades that far south, it makes better sense to have one an Interstate and the other a US Route. Plus, US 441 gets the "rare" instance to act as a bypass-type route for US 41 :D
So many roads...so little time.

Alps

I think the better question is, leifvanderwall, how many old topics can you dredge up before being booted?

jdb1234

Quote from: leifvanderwall on May 03, 2010, 01:14:50 PM
I think the better question is why not have US 41 end at Naples: takes over Fl. 84 to end at I-75 when it turns into the Alligator Alley Toll Road. And the remaining 41 could be signed as Florida 90 to Miami. I mean US 27 and US 441 already end in Miami and US 1 should probably end there too. Does Miami need US 41 too? I don't think so.

That would have US 41 ending at a county road like SR 84 does now.  Makes no sense to me.  US 41 is very congested between downtown Naples and SR 951.

leifvanderwall

Quote from: AlpsROADS on May 03, 2010, 11:27:38 PM
I think the better question is, leifvanderwall, how many old topics can you dredge up before being booted?
If the subject matter is too old to discuss, then perhaps the originator of the post should simply remove it from the forum. Besides I've never been on the section of US 41 from Naples to Miami, and I wondered if the signing of Florida 90 would do.

Alps

We would rather archive information than delete it.  That's how people learn.  And that's how we avoid duplicate threads every six months.  Just the same, if you see no one has posted in awhile, do not restart the thread.  Because I am a moderator, consider this a formal warning.

[Purple makes everything more official! -S.]

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.