News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arizona

Started by Alps, March 04, 2015, 08:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rover_0 on March 13, 2019, 05:34:58 PM
Quote from: Kniwt on March 13, 2019, 11:57:51 AM
Another major project is about to begin on I-15, with work on Virgin River bridges 2, 4, and 5 beginning next month and continuing until 2020. Traffic will be shifted to one side of the freeway, with lane width reduced to 10 feet -- requiring a 224-mile detour for wider vehicles.

(This project apparently does not include the replacement of Bridge 1, which is a separate big deal entirely.)

https://www.azdot.gov/projects/northcentral-district-projects/i-15-virgin-river-bridge-rehabilitation/traffic-alerts

That *scrolls up* *squints* 224-mile detour is precisely why Old US-91 between the St. George area and Littlefield still needs to be state-maintained.

Always seemed like Old 91 would be fine for shorter length trucks to me every time I've driven it.

Brian556

Red Arizona US 93 sign with high intensity sheeting on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-ARIZONA-STATE-U-S-93-Route-Sign-Guaranteed-Authentic/143174827660?hash=item2155e27e8c:g:Og0AAOSw97hcSmYW

This doesn't seem right to me. I know Arizona used colored signs, but surely that was way before this sheeting was invented. So, where the hell did this come from?

Zonie

Could be orange for an overhead sign -- that's the color Arizona used for north routes.

Pink Jazz

One thing I noticed today is that ADOT is now starting to incorporate shields in overhead street blades. New street blades with SR 347 shields and the name (John Wayne Parkway) were installed in Maricopa.

Pink Jazz

FYI, there is a Skyline color DMS on SR 69 EB in Prescott Valley. It isn't high resolution like the newer Daktronics color DMS, but I just saw it on today an can confirm it is a color DMS.

Kniwt

St. George News takes a look at the problems caused by ongoing construction on I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge.
https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2019/10/31/mgk-virgin-river-gorge-construction-zone-tallies-over-40-crashes-is-there-a-best-time-to-travel/

QuoteStarting in May, the Arizona Department of Transportation began work on the rehabilitation and repair of the decks of Bridges 2, 4 and 5 between miles markers 13 and 16. During this time, there have been 43 reportable crashes related to the construction zone, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

... The posted speed through the construction zone is 45 mph and tends to get backed up during times of high traffic volume due to travel being reduced to a single lane in either direction.

Conversely, Bottoms said, some motorists will go half that speed — or slower — due to being overly cautious or actually wanting to make the driver's behind them "suffer and wait in traffic"  like they had to.

"It happens every single day,"  Bottoms said.

Rothman

I wonder how this Sgt. Bottoms knows that a significant number of people go slowly for revenge.  Seems unlikely to me.

And, his name is Bottoms.  That's hilarious.  Sergeant Bottoms... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Pink Jazz

ADOT has expanded its travel times program on I-10 between Phoenix and the New Mexico state line. The data is provided by INRIX.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on October 31, 2019, 12:59:57 PM
I wonder how this Sgt. Bottoms knows that a significant number of people go slowly for revenge.  Seems unlikely to me.

And, his name is Bottoms.  That's hilarious.  Sergeant Bottoms... :D
It really seems like that is the case half of the time. People take driving too seriously like it is some part time career for them to be road warriors and I don't notice that in other countries. Far too often will be in the fast lane moving past a group of cars only to have a driver in front of me slow down right when there are cars making it impossible to pass less pulling off some insanely reckless maneuver. Then they speed up right after passing the group of cars. I usually don't get as mad when it is older drivers doing it as I figure they are being more cautious when they have vehicles next to them. But anyone under 50 should be able to maintain their speed or move over if they can't/won't.

I honestly believe that better driving behaviors could fix a lot of traffic issues. Things like cutting left lane camping, better merging, maintaining speed, and stop the rubbernecking BS would go a long way to reducing congestion in many regards.

kwellada

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 23, 2019, 06:56:23 AM

I honestly believe that better driving behaviors could fix a lot of traffic issues. Things like cutting left lane camping, better merging, maintaining speed, and stop the rubbernecking BS would go a long way to reducing congestion in many regards.

I feel I'm pretty solid on all those things but damn I still sometimes catch myself rubbernecking.  It's like I see the flashing lights on the other side of the freeway and I tell myself, "Don't look, it's not important" but the eyes still begin gravitating that direction.  It's gotta be some primal need to see what is going on. 

roadwaywiz95

Please join me and members of the AARoads community next Saturday (3/21) at 5 PM ET as we profile Interstate 17 through central Arizona and discuss the history and features of this highway, all while enjoying a real-time video trip along the length of the freeway between Phoenix and Flagstaff.

A link to the event location can be found below:

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Pink Jazz

Looks like ADOT just rolled out its rural travel times on DMS on several highways statewide.  Two years ago a pilot project was started on I-17, followed by I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson last year.  Looks like now it is mostly statewide on the following highways:

• I-8
  • I-10
  • I-15
  • I-17
  • I-40
  • US 60
  • US 89
  • US 93
  • SR 64
  • SR 68
  • SR 69
  • SR 87
  • SR 89A
  • SR 95
  • SR 260
  • SR 264

Note that I-19 does not have it since there are no DMS on I-19 other than those in the Tucson area, which display local travel times.

Konza

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 21, 2020, 03:09:39 PM
Looks like ADOT just rolled out its rural travel times on DMS on several highways statewide.  Two years ago a pilot project was started on I-17, followed by I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson last year.  Looks like now it is mostly statewide on the following highways:

• I-8
  • I-10
  • I-15
  • I-17
  • I-40
  • US 60
  • US 89
  • US 93
  • SR 64
  • SR 68
  • SR 69
  • SR 87
  • SR 89A
  • SR 95
  • SR 260
  • SR 264

Note that I-19 does not have it since there are no DMS on I-19 other than those in the Tucson area, which display local travel times.

Add SR 90 to your list.  Usually will display times to I-10 and Tucson.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

Pink Jazz

Also, it looks like ADOT will be retrofitting all their Skyline DMS with new SES America control boards and full color displays statewide.  Apparently there was an issue with the Skyline DMS losing connectivity with the ADOT network (requiring reboots), possibly due to a compatibility issue with ADOT's DMS Cameleon control software.

roadwaywiz95

For this upcoming weekend's Webinar presentation, we'll be taking a look at the freeway system in and around Phoenix, AZ, one of America's largest cities and a cultural crossroads of the nation. Coverage will begin on Saturday (5/9) at 6 PM ET and will feature live contributions from members of this forum; we hope to see you there!

Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on May 06, 2020, 07:59:05 AM
For this upcoming weekend's Webinar presentation, we'll be taking a look at the freeway system in and around Phoenix, AZ, one of America's largest cities and a cultural crossroads of the nation. Coverage will begin on Saturday (5/9) at 6 PM ET and will feature live contributions from members of this forum; we hope to see you there!

Nice throwback with the colored shields graphics.  I'm just missing a brown 202 for my sign collection, the black and white just doesn't pop IMO.  Too bad I'm on again for this Saturday, Phoenix is my home city. 

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 06, 2020, 11:30:00 AM

Nice throwback with the colored shields graphics.  I'm just missing a brown 202 for my sign collection, the black and white just doesn't pop IMO.  Too bad I'm on again for this Saturday, Phoenix is my home city.

Unfortunately, ADOT was rather quick to eliminate most of the brown shields since they faded fairly quickly.  I think the only remaining survivors are at SR 87/Country Club Drive and the 202 Red Mountain (and they are badly faded).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 07, 2020, 09:53:18 PM

Unfortunately, ADOT was rather quick to eliminate most of the brown shields since they faded fairly quickly.  I think the only remaining survivors are at SR 87/Country Club Drive and the 202 Red Mountain (and they are badly faded).

There was still a couple approaching AZ 202 from AZ 101 southbound back in late 2016.  Ditto with Blue 101 shields on Shea Boulevard and McDonald Drive in Scottsdale.  I picked up a blue AZ 101 and black AZ 303 a couple years back:

IMG_5251 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5255 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 07, 2020, 10:25:20 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 07, 2020, 09:53:18 PM

Nice throwback with the colored shields graphics.  I’m just missing a brown 202 for my sign collection, the black and white just doesn’t pop IMO.  Too bad I’m on again for this Saturday, Phoenix is my home city.

There was still a couple approaching AZ 202 from AZ 101 southbound back in late 2016.  Ditto with Blue 101 shields on Shea Boulevard and McDonald Drive in Scottsdale.  I picked up a blue AZ 101 and black AZ 303 a couple years back:

Those approaching 202 from L-101 SB are now gone. I think they were removed as part of a mass sign replacement in 2017.

Max Rockatansky

^^^^

That might explain my blue 101 then, I got it back in 2017 from a scrap guy. 

roadwaywiz95

Our next installment in the *weekly* live broadcast over on 'roadwaywiz' will be this double-header Virtual Tour presentation, where we dissect and enjoy a full-length trip along the belt highway encircling Phoenix, AZ and the infamous 405 Freeway around Los Angeles in real time, complete with commentary and contributions from admins/moderators/members of this forum.

The event will kick off on Saturday (5/16) at 6 PM ET and we look forward to seeing you there!

roadwaywiz95

Our next installment in the "Virtual Tour" series is scheduled to take place on Saturday (5/23) at 6 PM ET. Come join me and members of the AARoads community as we profile US Routes 163 and 160 across southern Utah & northern Arizona and discuss the history and features of these highways, all while enjoying a real-time video trip across one of the most scenic areas of the desert southwest.

A link to the event location can be found below:

Tom958

I stumbled upon an oddity: This bridge on Business 40 over AZ 66 west of Seligman. The side spans are cast-in-place box beams like the 1967 bridge over I-40 a mile to the south, but the span over AZ 66 is AASHTO beams, presumably to avoid the need for falsework over 66. With the round columns and embedded bent cap, the cast-in-place spans mimic the aesthetics of the bridge over I-40, except there's a bulb at the bottom of the box beam to mimic those on the AASHTO beams. Why not just use AASHTO beams for everything? 

roadfro

Quote from: Tom958 on May 31, 2020, 11:18:17 AM
I stumbled upon an oddity: This bridge on Business 40 over AZ 66 west of Seligman. The side spans are cast-in-place box beams like the 1967 bridge over I-40 a mile to the south, but the span over AZ 66 is AASHTO beams, presumably to avoid the need for falsework over 66. With the round columns and embedded bent cap, the cast-in-place spans mimic the aesthetics of the bridge over I-40, except there's a bulb at the bottom of the box beam to mimic those on the AASHTO beams. Why not just use AASHTO beams for everything?

That is indeed an interesting design choice. Can't say that I've seen that before.

I clicked into this street view trying to take a look more at the design. This is from 2011 during construction activity on the bridge. You can see falsework adorning the beams of the main span as well as the sides of the whole bridge, but the side spans seems to already be in place.

I don't know enough about the road history to say for certain. But the National Bridge Inventory indicates this bridge was originally constructed in 1978. So this with the street view link makes me wonder if the design choice was due to a retrofit or emergency repair...

BTW: I don't think calling these "AASHTO beams" is the best terminology. AASHTO may have some minimum design standards for roadways, but I don't think they delve into the minutia of bridge design (particularly for what appear to be pre-cast concrete girders).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Sonic99

That construction shot looks like they did a complete deck replacement and replaced the side railing/walls. Which would explain the framework under the main span but not the sides.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.