News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why is I-376 so big

Started by Angelo71, August 08, 2020, 08:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

In 1999, the New York Department of Transportation proposed rerouting Interstate 90 to continue down the New York State Thruway between Exits 24 and 21A, before heading straight east along the entire length of the Berkshire Connector. Old 90 through Albany was to have become an extension of Interstate 88. Obviously, that didn't happen. As for the lengthy Interstate 376 extension that occurred in 2009, I think the portion between Interstate 79 (Exit 59AB) and Interstate 80 (Exit 4AB) should have been numbered Interstate 479 (of course, Highway 576 would have had to have been given a different designation if that had occurred).

Bitmapped

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 14, 2020, 08:09:29 PM
As for the lengthy Interstate 376 extension that occurred in 2009, I think the portion between Interstate 79 (Exit 59AB) and Interstate 80 (Exit 4AB) should have been numbered Interstate 479 (of course, Highway 576 would have had to have been given a different designation if that had occurred).

What would have been the benefit of an I-479? It would have created an unnecessary number change along the corridor, which was part of what the I-376 extension was trying to undo, and it would have resulted in traffic going between downtown and airport having more complicated instructions. Keeping it all I-376 makes it really simple for people not familiar with the area to go between downtown and the airport - stay on I-376 the whole way.

mrsman

Quote from: Bitmapped on August 16, 2020, 10:21:45 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 14, 2020, 08:09:29 PM
As for the lengthy Interstate 376 extension that occurred in 2009, I think the portion between Interstate 79 (Exit 59AB) and Interstate 80 (Exit 4AB) should have been numbered Interstate 479 (of course, Highway 576 would have had to have been given a different designation if that had occurred).

What would have been the benefit of an I-479? It would have created an unnecessary number change along the corridor, which was part of what the I-376 extension was trying to undo, and it would have resulted in traffic going between downtown and airport having more complicated instructions. Keeping it all I-376 makes it really simple for people not familiar with the area to go between downtown and the airport - stay on I-376 the whole way.

Ideally, people on this forum like for the 3dis to follow the "rules", odd 3di for spurs and even 3di to connect two 2di together.  Yet once a corridor is established as an odd 3di, one shouldnt be forced to change its number just because it is extended to reach another interstate (or even to hit its parent twice).  So even though 376 now provides an in-city route from 76 Monroeville to 76 Big Beaver and even beyond, there is no good reason to renumber this as an even 3di of 76.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.