News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Kansas Non Interstate Mileposts

Started by roadman65, November 16, 2021, 01:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed that KDOT does a good job in posting mile markers on their state routes and US routes.  Specifically I noticed this

on the K-14 & K-96 Bypass of Hutchinson.   I see its 102 miles, but in Wichita it 284.8 at the Arkansas River near Valley Center.  According to arithmetic that would imply that 178.8 miles is between this photo near Hutchinson and the river crossing near the big city.  However, both Hutchinson and Wichita are only 37 miles apart as the crow flies.  Also, K-14 is not that far from Oklahoma here, so it can't be for K-14 either.

What is the zero point and where is the zero point for this milepost?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

clong

edwaleni

Quote from: roadman65 on November 16, 2021, 01:03:48 PM
I noticed that KDOT does a good job in posting mile markers on their state routes and US routes.  Specifically I noticed this

on the K-14 & K-96 Bypass of Hutchinson.   I see its 102 miles, but in Wichita it 284.8 at the Arkansas River near Valley Center.  According to arithmetic that would imply that 178.8 miles is between this photo near Hutchinson and the river crossing near the big city.  However, both Hutchinson and Wichita are only 37 miles apart as the crow flies.  Also, K-14 is not that far from Oklahoma here, so it can't be for K-14 either.

What is the zero point and where is the zero point for this milepost?

I went back down K-14/K-17 and it appears the mileage you picture here is based on that.

K-96 has completely different mileage marker counts than this one, so it is not based on K-96.

roadman65

Rand McNally numbers added say different. It's only near 50 miles to Harper and that's a short hop from OK.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Wiki says US 50 is 61.696 miles from Harper and 6th Avenue interchange is 63.402 miles from Harper.  So the 102 can't be unless the mileage counts from north to south like US 101 in Oregon does

Sheryl Crowe

US 89

From a few minutes of GSV hunting, I can tell you this much: they increase from south to north and they belong to K-14.

SD Mapman

According to this (I got bored of milepost hunting), K-14's mileposts start at like 48.75 for some reason. There's also other oddities in the state, like how the first visible milepost on US 73 is 17... but it's only about 2-3 miles north of I-70.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

roadman65

I think they got lazy on K-14 and when they truncated it to Harper elongatedeliminated the overlap with K-2 they left the mileage as was.

Sheryl Crowe

clong

Quote from: SD Mapman on November 16, 2021, 06:53:48 PM
According to this (I got bored of milepost hunting), K-14's mileposts start at like 48.75 for some reason. There's also other oddities in the state, like how the first visible milepost on US 73 is 17... but it's only about 2-3 miles north of I-70.

I was looking for the US73 milepost you mentioned and found this: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1026776,-94.8816806,3a,34.4y,20.02h,79.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8e4F8Z4tH5yvIICV0rMJOA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 - a mile 419 and a mile 168 post just feet apart right before the QT nearest the Ampitheater.

Looks like the 168 belongs to K7 from the OK border.
Looks like the 419 belongs to US24 from the CO border.

Also, the 17 that you mentioned, that would line up with I-70 to the MO border.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.