News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unmarked/secret exits on the Mass Pike?

Started by KCRoadFan, August 19, 2022, 10:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I was just thinking back to when we drove on the Mass Pike on a trip out east in 2007, and how I remember having seen what appeared to be "secret exits"  - that is to say, short connector roads or off-ramps which connect to local roads in the area, and which are completely unmarked. I'm not exactly sure where they are (I believe one is somewhere between Chicopee and Auburn), but they definitely exist. Do you know what I'm talking about, and might you have some idea as to what they might be? (Perhaps it's a way for service area workers to get to and from work, or for traffic to divert if an accident happens to close the Pike nearby, without having to pay any tolls.) Anyone have any info? Thanks!

MATraveler128

They're meant to be used by officials only. Basically, they are used for maintenance facilities for the towns so that they can have easy access to the Pike. They can also be for law enforcement.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jp the roadgeek

The CTDOT garage "exits"  to Murdock Ave on the Wilbur Cross Parkway (CT 15) in Meriden are heavily used by locals.  Offers more convenient access to businesses in the central area of Research Parkway than from CT 68 in Wallingford or East Main St in Meriden. 

I've been tempted to try the back entrance to the Charlotte Plaza from US 20.  Of course, it's not frowned upon now to enter the Pike from there thanks to open road tolling.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TMETSJETSYT

I don't know if this is 100% on topic, but I have known about this little either abandoned or secret exit on the Mass Pike, right before the NY border, and it leads to MA-102. It looks more abandoned to then a secret exit, but I don't know for sure.

Here is link on Google Maps. (it is in the middle of the screen coming from the Mass Pike to MA-102)
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.348737,-73.410847,465m/data=!3m1!1e3?authuser=1
Roads I have clinched- I-84 (MA-CT-NY-PA), I-78 (NY-NJ-PA), I-395 (DC-VA), I-695 (Both DC and NY), I-490 (NY), I 390 (NY), I-787 (NY), I-287 (NY-NJ), I-795 (NC), I-140 (NC), I-295 (Both VA and MD), I-270 (MD), And I am only 13 so I have much more to clinch.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 19, 2022, 10:27:39 PM
The CTDOT garage "exits"  to Murdock Ave on the Wilbur Cross Parkway (CT 15) in Meriden are heavily used by locals.  Offers more convenient access to businesses in the central area of Research Parkway than from CT 68 in Wallingford or East Main St in Meriden. 

Did you perchance mean Miller Avenue?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: TMETSJETSYT on August 21, 2022, 02:29:14 PM
I don't know if this is 100% on topic, but I have known about this little either abandoned or secret exit on the Mass Pike, right before the NY border, and it leads to MA-102. It looks more abandoned to then a secret exit, but I don't know for sure.

Here is link on Google Maps. (it is in the middle of the screen coming from the Mass Pike to MA-102)
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.348737,-73.410847,465m/data=!3m1!1e3?authuser=1

That's not (no longer) an exit, it was the original end of the Mass. Pike before the Berkshire Extension of the NY Thruway was completed.

TheGrassGuy

I've been tempted to try the back entrance to the Charlton :pan: Plaza from US 20.  Of course, it's not frowned upon now to enter the Pike from there thanks to open road tolling.

Weird how there no longer seems to be a gate between them, as is typical for these service areas.

In China there are actually toll booths at their service areas for the same reason.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

DrSmith

I wonder if they are exploring some new gating system for the Pike. If I remember correctly, it was in Warren where there were new lighted bar-gates for the maintenance area there. These gates were lit green when up in the air and open and red when down across the access road. At night that time I saw 2 large green lines going at least 20 feet up in the air.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 21, 2022, 04:11:58 PM

I've been tempted to try the back entrance to the Charlton :pan: Plaza from US 20.  Of course, it's not frowned upon now to enter the Pike from there thanks to open road tolling.

Weird how there no longer seems to be a gate between them, as is typical for these service areas.

In China there are actually toll booths at their service areas for the same reason.

EFFING AUTOCORRECT
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

NJRoadfan

The "garage" exit might as well be official. CTDOT posts CT-15 markers on Miller Ave. Just slap an Exit 66A tab on it and call it a day already.

kurumi

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 21, 2022, 09:15:34 PM
The "garage" exit might as well be official. CTDOT posts CT-15 markers on Miller Ave. Just slap an Exit 66A tab on it and call it a day already.

Google Maps also has full street view of the access on both sides.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kramie13

MassDOT could easily make a new exit off the Mass. Pike in Blandford at North St, using the existing service plaza ramps as dual exit ramps/service plaza ramps similar to the Maine Turnpike in Kennebunk.

Also, the Natick and Westborough service plazas each have a restaurant called Cheesy Street Grill.  Is there a legitimate way to get to these plazas without getting on the Pike and having to pay a toll just to try the food there?

MATraveler128

Quote from: kramie13 on August 22, 2022, 04:39:06 PM
MassDOT could easily make a new exit off the Mass. Pike in Blandford at North St, using the existing service plaza ramps as dual exit ramps/service plaza ramps similar to the Maine Turnpike in Kennebunk.

The proposal for a new Mass Pike exit dubbed "Exit 2A"  has been tossed around by officials a lot. They had a vote on who wanted a new exit in Blandford. In short, they voted a 79-63 with the majority voting no, thus the project was shelved and will not happen in the foreseeable future or really ever. Here's a story on it.

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/archives/lawmakers-agree-if-blandford-doesnt-want-new-pike-exit-case-closed/article_17856f5a-6a43-5b38-9be1-e20f4241e746.html
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 22, 2022, 06:45:54 PM

The proposal for a new Mass Pike exit dubbed "Exit 2A"  has been tossed around by officials a lot. They had a vote on who wanted a new exit in Blandford. In short, they voted a 79-63 with the majority voting no, thus the project was shelved and will not happen in the foreseeable future or really ever. Here's a story on it.

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/archives/lawmakers-agree-if-blandford-doesnt-want-new-pike-exit-case-closed/article_17856f5a-6a43-5b38-9be1-e20f4241e746.html

Every few years, someone points out the absurdity of 30-mile gap between exits in Lee and Westfield and the need to spur economic development or improve traffic flow in eastern Berkshire/western Hampden County. But then, others lament the loss of character and increase traffic and costs that a new exit would being, so nothing happens. Same as it always was.

hbelkins

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on August 22, 2022, 07:37:24 PM

Every few years, someone points out the absurdity of 30-mile gap between exits in Lee and Westfield and the need to spur economic development or improve traffic flow in eastern Berkshire/western Hampden County. But then, others lament the loss of character and increase traffic and costs that a new exit would being, so nothing happens. Same as it always was.

Kentucky's parkway system was built as an open system, with most (but not all) toll plazas located at interchanges and different rates for through and entering/exiting traffic. (Usually the ramp traffic toll was half of the through rate). Occasionally there were differences in the rates for directional entrances and exits and the larger toll was placed on the heavier-used ramps. I remember one occasion using the US 231 exit on the Natcher Parkway near Bowling Green -- can't remember if I was entering or exiting -- and was told by the attendant there was no toll for that movement.

At any rate, now that tolls are off Kentucky's parkways, a number of new exits have been built, or partial interchanges have been converted to full interchanges, creating more local access. Until the KY 974 Exit 10 was built on the Mountain Parkway, that road was of no benefit to Clark County. The only access to it was from I-64 and you couldn't exit until you were in Powell County.

Seems like closed systems that are going full-electronic in their tolling schemes might build some exits similar to the E-ZPass-only ramps that Pennsylvania installed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

There was the more recent proposal to have an exit added at MA 23.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Rothman on August 22, 2022, 08:59:21 PM

There was the more recent proposal to have an exit added at MA 23.

That might actually make more sense. It depends on where the exit is, since that part of the Pike is on a steep incline/decline (including a runaway truck ramp).

kefkafloyd

Also, the Natick and Westborough service plazas each have a restaurant called Cheesy Street Grill.  Is there a legitimate way to get to these plazas without getting on the Pike and having to pay a toll just to try the food there?

Yes, use the service parking lots attached to the local road and walk to the plaza.

Roadgeek Adam

Garden State Parkway has a similar setup at the former Montvale, Monmouth and Cheesequake Service areas where you can leave the Parkway via the park & rides set up in the service areas to local roads.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on August 23, 2022, 12:17:16 PM
Garden State Parkway has a similar setup at the former Montvale, Monmouth and Cheesequake Service areas where you can leave the Parkway via the park & rides set up in the service areas to local roads.
Not Cheesequake - that is officially closed to people doing this. (Doesn't stop them.) Union (NB) does have this though.

Ted$8roadFan

Do the service plaza on the Connecticut Turnpike still allow access from local roads? It's not tolled anymore, of course.

storm2k

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on August 23, 2022, 12:17:16 PM

That was such a well known shortcut at the Atlantic service area that the NJTA finally just built official on and off ramps to and from CR561 to stop people from going through the service area "back door" on and off the Parkway.

Also one road this never has really happened on is the NJ Turnpike because for most of their service plazas that were near off Turnpike roads, they did build an entrance to and from the service plaza building for employees who work there, but it goes to a parking lot that has no access to the rest of the roadways/lots of the area itself so it allows local employees to come and go without having to pay tolls but can't be used as a toll workaround. This is the entrance to the Thomas Edison Service Area from Port Reading Ave in Port Reading, but you can only get to the parking lot and no further.

NJRoadfan

The Atlantic service area ramps were removed because they built a state police barracks there. Given the limited interchanges in the area, they just decided to build a whole new exit to service the traffic. I remember back in the day the LPGA tournament held nearby used to post signs in the service area directing people to exit there to get to the golf course. It was part of the "official" directions!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on August 24, 2022, 04:57:46 AM
Do the service plaza on the Connecticut Turnpike still allow access from local roads? It's not tolled anymore, of course.

The only ones I see in CT that has local road access are on the Parkway: NB in Orange and North Haven and Southbound in Fairfield.  You could conceivably access the 95 SB one from Round Hill Rd in Fairfield by jumping a small curb cut, but you have to get on I-95 to leave, as the access road is one way.  The NB one is connected to the off ramp but can't be accessed from local roads legally.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 25, 2022, 01:29:56 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on August 24, 2022, 04:57:46 AM

The only ones I see in CT that has local road access are on the Parkway: NB in Orange and North Haven and Southbound in Fairfield.  You could conceivably access the 95 SB one from Round Hill Rd in Fairfield by jumping a small curb cut, but you have to get on I-95 to leave, as the access road is one way.  The NB one is connected to the off ramp but can't be accessed from local roads legally.

IIRC, back in the 80s, the state had to deal with crime at the rest areas that was attributed to people being able to access the rest areas on 95 a(and being able to escape from the locations without having to use 95).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.