News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

"Isolated" freeways

Started by getemngo, June 12, 2014, 07:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

PA 309 north of Hatfield, PA.  It may be a bypass, but it is actually an isolated freeway as its endpoints are far from the business center along the route it replaces as well as part of a larger network of the PA road system.  PA 309 is a major corridor between Philadelphia and Allentown which is mostly four lanes of both freeway and expressway grade.  This section is isolated from the rest of the state's freeway system as arterial environment exists on both ends.

US 15 near Gettysburg is also more than a bypass of the historic borough as it is quite lengthy and in fact extends a few miles north of where Business US 15 terminates.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jbnv

Louisiana:
* Three stretches of US 90 on the "future I-49" route.
* Earhart Expressway in metro New Orleans.

Pineville Expressway barely fails the test since it is now connected to I-49 via ramps.

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

briantroutman

If you're talking about freeways that don't connect to the larger freeway/Interstate network, there are a a ton in PA alone (some of which have already been mentioned)

US 6:
Youngsville bypass
Warren bypass

US 11:
Duncannon bypass (with US 15)
Selinsgrove bypass (with US 15)

US 15:
Gettysburg bypass
Duncannon bypass (with US 11)

US 22 :
Armagh bypass
Lewistown to Amity Hall

US 30:
Greensburg bypass
Everett bypass
West York bypass

US 119:
Kittanning bypass (connects to US 422 freeway only)

US 202:
Doylestown bypass

US 219:
Meyersdale bypass
Somerset to north of Ebensburg
Bradford bypass

US 220:
Mill Hall to Jersey Shore

US 222:
Kutztown bypass

US 322:
Milroy to Amity Hall
Hummelstown bypass
Cornwall bypass

US 422:
Prospect bypass
Butler bypass
Kittanning bypass (connects to PA 28 freeway only–which arguably doesn't connect directly to any other freeways)
Indiana bypass

PA 8:
Wesley to Pecan

PA 28:
Etna to Kittanning  (arguably–because it doesn't connect directly to the PA Turnpike)

PA 56:
Johnstown

PA 248:
Bowmanstown to Walnutport

PA 309:
South of Quakertown to Souderton

PA 611:
Doylestown bypess

Not signed as a numbered route:
Harvey Taylor Bypass - Harrisburg

Depending on how you look at it, the entirety of I-99/US 220 (and the connected US 30, US 322, and PA 26 freeways) are also "isolated"  because there isn't a direct connection to the PA Turnpike at the southern end, and the I-99 freeway ends before you reach the I-80 ramps at the northern end.

Concrete Bob

There are a few of those in Bakersfield.  First there is the Alfred Harrell Highway.  Then there is the Route 178 Crosstown which ends about a mile and a half or so from 99.  There is also the Westside Parkway, as it stands in its current form (of course that will change, so it may not count).

I think Wayne Gretzky Drive in Edmonton, AB would qualify as well. 

Would US 84 north of Santa Fe, NM would qualify?  All of the Alaska freeways?     

Revive 755

* The MO 21/Blood Alley Replacment Freeway south of St. Louis:
Map (Google got the coloration correct)

Never planned for a tie in to either I-55 or I-270 on the north end, may have been connected to by a freeway to I-55 if the Outer Belt proposals for the MO 109/Rte W/Rte MM/Rte M corridor had been fully realized.

bing101

Quote from: TheStranger on June 13, 2014, 03:24:42 AM
Quote from: andy3175 on June 13, 2014, 12:04:36 AM
In California, we have the SR 29 bypass of Lakeport and the SR 20-49 bypass of Grass Valley/Nevada City. Neither of these short freeways connect to any other freeway.

Other California examples I can think of:

- Route 65 in Porterville

- La Cienega Boulevard (was to have been part of Route 170) through Kenneth Hahn Recreation area

- Route 1 between Castroville and Monterey

- Route 99 in Chico

- Route 29 in Napa

- Route 70/149 through Oroville

- Route 99 in Yuba City

Freeport Blvd in Sacramento, CA near Florin rd. it was supposed to be CA-160 according to some maps Near Sacramento executive airport.

JustDrive

CA 1 near Point Mugu, too, as well as the portion of CA 1 between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay.

sdmichael

Quote from: bing101 on June 13, 2014, 08:36:37 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on June 13, 2014, 03:24:42 AM
Quote from: andy3175 on June 13, 2014, 12:04:36 AM
In California, we have the SR 29 bypass of Lakeport and the SR 20-49 bypass of Grass Valley/Nevada City. Neither of these short freeways connect to any other freeway.

Other California examples I can think of:

- Route 65 in Porterville

- La Cienega Boulevard (was to have been part of Route 170) through Kenneth Hahn Recreation area

- Route 1 between Castroville and Monterey

- Route 99 in Chico

- Route 29 in Napa

- Route 70/149 through Oroville

- Route 99 in Yuba City

Freeport Blvd in Sacramento, CA near Florin rd. it was supposed to be CA-160 according to some maps Near Sacramento executive airport.

Freeport Blvd WAS State 160 until a few years ago when it was relinquished.

bing101

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=831757236853825&set=oa.253418661527818&type=1&theater

Here is a shot of Freeport blvd in Sacramento, CA it looks like a freeway near Florin Rd but its really a city street.

bugo

Quote from: roadman65 on June 13, 2014, 12:41:32 PM
PA 309 is a major corridor between Philadelphia and Allentown which is mostly four lanes of both freeway and expressway grade.  This section is isolated from the rest of the state's freeway system as arterial environment exists on both ends.

And it should still be a US highway.

jp the roadgeek

CT 187/189 in Windsor/East Granby.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheStranger

Quote from: bing101 on June 13, 2014, 09:53:43 PM

Here is a shot of Freeport blvd in Sacramento, CA it looks like a freeway near Florin Rd but its really a city street.

Except that it has no grade separations of its own at any point, notwithstanding the interchanges with the WX Freeway and I-5 (both of which are traffic-light controlled).  Not really a freeway.
Chris Sampang

GaryV

Does having an interchange make it a freeway?  If so, there's a Very Short Section of freeway on US-127 at the M-57 interchange.

And to stretch a point, the I-75 freeway between St. Ignace and Sault Ste. Marie is isolated, as it has a non-freeway bridge at either end.

national highway 1

James Ruse Drive, a suburb away from where I live. Part of the A40 and the A28/A40 duplex.
http://goo.gl/AF710u
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

jemacedo9

Quote from: briantroutman on June 13, 2014, 06:19:18 PM
If you're talking about freeways that don't connect to the larger freeway/Interstate network, there are a a ton in PA alone (some of which have already been mentioned)

US 11:
Selinsgrove bypass (with US 15)

US 119:
Kittanning bypass (connects to US 422 freeway only)

PA 28:
Etna to Kittanning  (arguably–because it doesn't connect directly to the PA Turnpike)

PA 56:
Johnstown

PA 248:
Bowmanstown to Walnutport

US 11/15 Selinsgrove bypass will eventually connect to the southern end of the PA 147 freeway, so this will be connected

US 119 I think you meant Indiana Bypass

PA 28 is getting connected to I-279/I-579

PA 56 connects to US 219 at the east end

PA 248 - just an interesting note...at the east end, they had to "cantilever" part of the westbound lanes over the eastbound lanes to fit the highway into the gap in the mountain.

vdeane

Quote from: GaryV on June 14, 2014, 07:31:32 AM
Does having an interchange make it a freeway?  If so, there's a Very Short Section of freeway on US-127 at the M-57 interchange.

And to stretch a point, the I-75 freeway between St. Ignace and Sault Ste. Marie is isolated, as it has a non-freeway bridge at either end.
It's debatable.  I don't count them for my exit lists, though a couple interchanges in a limited access area makes me think about it.  I do appreciate it when maps mark single interchanges on a limited access section of otherwise non-freeway with the freeway color though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

In New York:
Pearl River Bypass (NY 304)
Heathcote Bypass (Westchester CR 143)
US 9 in Poughkeepsie
NY 107 in Glen Cove

In New Jersey:
Freehold Bypass (NJ 33)

In Rhode Island:
Westerly Bypass (RI 78)

roadman65

NJ 15 in New Jersey near Sparta.

Sheryl Crowe

wxfree

Texas 199 has a few disconnected freeway segments connected by future frontage roads.  One segment doesn't have any overpasses or ramps, but we know TxDOT considers all of the segments freeways because they put up "freeway ends" signs.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on June 13, 2014, 10:09:21 AM
Virginia has a lot of these. US 23 between Norton and Big Stone Gap (basically, the Alternate US 58 concurrency) is the closest one to me.

Va. 7 (Harry Flood Byrd Highway) between Round Hill in the west (near the crest of the Blue Ridge) and Va. 9 near Clarke's Gap and Hamilton qualifies for this list. 

Va. 37 around the west side of Winchester barely qualifies, but IMO it does since it lacks full freeway-to-freeway connections with I-81.

The "new" Warrenton Bypass (parts of U.S. 15, U.S. 17 and U.S. 29) has full freeway access control, but does not connect to any other freeway.

South of Warrenton, the Culpeper Bypass (parts of U.S. 15 and U.S. 29) also qualifies.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Maryland has the Salisbury Bypass (parts of U.S. 50 and U.S. 13) that is full freeway, but has no connection to any other freeway and the (short) Vienna Bypass (part of U.S. 50) and bridge over the Nanticoke River, which also lacks connection to any other freeway. 

One might be able to make the case that Md. 5 where it bypasses Hughesville should be on the list.

Md. 4 (Pennsylvania Avenue Extended and Southern Maryland Boulevard) between Md. 258 (Bristol) in Anne Arundel County and the at-grade signalized intersection at Dower House Road near Andrews AFB in Prince George's County qualifies, though it seems that Maryland SHA is finally going to get rid of the three wreck-prone intersections on Md. 4 between Dower House Road and I-95/I-495.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

briantroutman

Quote from: jemacedo9 on June 14, 2014, 07:59:23 AM
US 119 I think you meant Indiana Bypass
You're right.

PA 56 connects to US 219 at the east end
Yes, but the US 219 freeway running from Somerset to Ebensburg doesn't directly connect to any other freeways, so the two together are essentially "off the grid" .

PA 248 - just an interesting note...at the east end, they had to "cantilever" part of the westbound lanes over the eastbound lanes to fit the highway into the gap in the mountain.
I always thought this was an interesting little Easter egg that never got much attention.

roadman65

Does GA 204 count near Savanah?  If I am not mistaken it is not a direct freeway to freeway connection between it and I-95 sort of like I-99 to I-80 in PA.

Sheryl Crowe

SR669

There are several that I can think of in southern Virginia.

• The US 58 bypass around Franklin.
  • On a technicality, the 13/58/460 bypass around Suffolk. There are some at-grade intersections between the east end of the business routes and I-664, which automatically downgrades that section to expressway in my mind.
  • VA 10's Super 2 around Smithfield.
  • The freeways emanating from Danville (until I-785 is completed).
  • The bypasses around Lynchburg and Martinsville.
  • US 58's bypass around Hillsville (ends about a mile from I-77).
Clinched:
I-64 (all but first 9 miles in MO), I-264 (VA), I-464, I-664, I-495 (DE)
US 113
VA 14, PA 33, VA 37, MD 53, VA 105, VA 134, VA 152, VA 164, VA 198, VA 199, VA 201, VA 216, VA 223, PA 248, VA 273, VA 306, VA 312, VA 321 (minus W&M roads), PA 378, WA 525, MD 636, PA 652, many SRs, etc...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.