News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

100 ticketed in 1st year of Indiana highway slow-pokes law

Started by RobbieL2415, July 05, 2016, 10:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

silverback1065

mvak36

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 05, 2016, 11:29:05 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 05, 2016, 10:18:04 AM
It's a start.
http://wsbt.com/news/regional/100-ticketed-in-1st-year-of-indiana-highway-slowpokes-law

This is a good law, too many people think that the left lane is the "fast lane", when it is really the "passing lane".

I agree. I wish more states would adopt this rule.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Avalanchez71

Tennessee just pasted a slow poke law effective July 1.  However, it only applies if there are three travel lanes.  Also the speed limit isn't addressed and I think I could drive a truck through the loopholes in the law.

Joe The Dragon

Can you get this and a speeding ticket at the same time? Say you are doing 65 in a 55 and others are zooming by can the cop hit you with both going to slow and speeding at the same time.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 05, 2016, 02:19:19 PM
Can you get this and a speeding ticket at the same time? Say you are doing 65 in a 55 and others are zooming by can the cop hit you with both going to slow and speeding at the same time.

Technically yes, and it has happened, but chances are if fought at least one ticket will be thrown out.  It also makes for good fodder in comment sections on news and facebook sites, which police departments should steer clear of.

Avalanchez71

The intent of the law appears to be that speeding is acceptable.  You could get cited for speeding as well but that would be a game of chess that a law enforcement officer shouldn't play.  You never know though.  I think the law is too vague and won't cite for it.

Duke87

109 tickets... that's an average of one ticket every 3.36 days, across the entire state. Sounds to me like the new law is basically not being enforced.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Duke87 on July 05, 2016, 05:39:13 PM
109 tickets... that's an average of one ticket every 3.36 days, across the entire state. Sounds to me like the new law is basically not being enforced.

The article stated that there were over 1500 warnings issued for violators, though which comes out to 4 warnings per day.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DevalDragon

In typical Hoosier Hospitality fashion they issued 1535 warnings with those 109 tickets. That's an average of 4.5 stops per day.

Pretty good for Indiana.

Quote from: Duke87 on July 05, 2016, 05:39:13 PM

paulthemapguy

If there was any state that needed this...

It was Indiana.
Holy crap.
I'm trying to start a collection of all the shields of state routes in Indiana, but half of me doesn't want to commit to it because I know how excruciating it is to drive among the nitwits of Indiana.  That and the crappy roads...maybe all that pavement deformation is a result of the drivers' drool seeping into the cracks on the roadways.  It feels like GTA or Midtown Madness driving there, like everyone else is a poorly-designed NPC.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Brandon

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 05, 2016, 10:39:28 PM

It was Indiana.
Holy crap.
I'm trying to start a collection of all the shields of state routes in Indiana, but half of me doesn't want to commit to it because I know how excruciating it is to drive among the nitwits of Indiana.  That and the crappy roads...maybe all that pavement deformation is a result of the drivers' drool seeping into the cracks on the roadways.  It feels like GTA or Midtown Madness driving there, like everyone else is a poorly-designed NPC.

How's that any worse or different than driving in Chicago?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Brandon on July 06, 2016, 06:59:47 PM

It was Indiana.
Holy crap.

In the city proper, you have a point.  On the expressways everyone goes 75-80 whether the speed limit is 55 or 70 lol
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

silverback1065

Quote from: Brandon on July 06, 2016, 06:59:47 PM

It was Indiana.
Holy crap.

I agree, Indiana's roads aren't as bad as Illinois or Michigan. 

Avalanchez71

I just heard a Public Service Announcement yesterday that THP will be enforcing the "Slow Poke Law" as it went into effect as of July 1.  The PSA did not make mention that it only applies to a roadway with at least three travel lanes in the same direction.

DevalDragon

With the notable exception of the Indiana Toll Road.

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 07, 2016, 09:14:21 AM
I agree, Indiana's roads aren't as bad as Illinois or Michigan. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.