News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Old" roads/avenues/streets

Started by Buffaboy, October 06, 2016, 01:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: tradephoric on October 06, 2016, 12:37:23 PM
It's the home of the first paved mile of concrete road (between 6 mile and 7 mile)

That's a real interesting "first."  I take it the length of the pavement is why it has to be differentiated from the actual first concrete street paved in Bellefontaine, Ohio.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kurumi

I can't locate the older thread, but Connecticut has some fun "Old Route x" roads where present-day Route X has been renumbered. These include Old Route 89 (CT 289), Old Route 72 (CT 4), Old Route 25 (US 202).
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

TheStranger

Old Placerville Road in Rancho Cordova, which based on Historic Aerials doesn't appear to have ever even come close to going to Placerville.

Old San Francisco Road off of El Camino Real/Route 82 (former US 101) in Sunnyvale, which from at least 1948 (likely before that) to the mid-1960s had a curve at its eastern terminus at Wolfe Road that suggests this is likely an old US 101 alignment.

Old Mission Road in South San Francisco/Colma, former US 101.  Called "Old Mission" colloquially but not signed as such.

The Old Road in Santa Clarita, former US 99.

Old Highway 395 in Fallbrook.

Chris Sampang

jwolfer

There are quite a few "old" roads around Jacksonville that are old alignments. Some of the longer ones are as follows

Old Middleburg Rd was replaced by SR 21/Blanding Blvd but has now been redirected as SR23.

Old St Augustine Rd is a former alignment of US 1, but is now multilaned suburban arterial, not a forgotten 2 lane

There are 3 sections of Old Kings Rd North and South of the river in Jacksonville and another in Flagler County. Kings Rd was the original road from Georgia to New Smyrna that crossed the St Johns River at present day downtown Jacksonville. There is a bypassed segment of Old Kings Rd in the south side of Jacksonville that is named Historic Kings Road. In North Jacksonville the new alignment is actually called New Kings Rd

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on October 07, 2016, 01:57:55 PM
There are quite a few "old" roads around Jacksonville that are old alignments. Some of the longer ones are as follows

Old Middleburg Rd was replaced by SR 21/Blanding Blvd but has now been redirected as SR23.

Old St Augustine Rd is a former alignment of US 1, but is now multilaned suburban arterial, not a forgotten 2 lane

There are 3 sections of Old Kings Rd North and South of the river in Jacksonville and another in Flagler County. Kings Rd was the original road from Georgia to New Smyrna that crossed the St Johns River at present day downtown Jacksonville. There is a bypassed segment of Old Kings Rd in the south side of Jacksonville that is named Historic Kings Road. In North Jacksonville the new alignment is actually called New Kings Rd

Don't forget Old Dixie Highway near Bunnell which isn't far from you either.

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 07, 2016, 05:37:18 PM

I know that road well.

SSOWorld

Finding it interesting that while a particular road that spans from Castaic to the northern limits of Los Angeles (Sylmar) is called "The Old Road", it doesn't have any meaning.   It's a modern alignment that would have been intended to represent old US-99 but in truth it does not. 

Sierra Hwy, on the other hand, represents old U.S. 6 very well as San Fernando Road (Blvd in Burbank) does old U.S. 99.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on October 07, 2016, 05:39:20 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 07, 2016, 05:37:18 PM

I know that road well.

Hopefully it isn't underwater right now.  :-/

jwolfer

I know.. we still don't have regular power.  Generator running for fridge and some lights.. cable is out but internet working..

Takumi

Old Happy Hill Road in Chester, VA. Oldish alignment of Happy Hill Road. The current Happy Hill alignment was built in the 90s as South Happy Hill Road, then was switched around 2000 when the intersection was reconfigured. A lot of traffic still uses the old alignment because it's faster despite having a lower speed limit.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

DTComposer

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 07, 2016, 06:35:11 PM
Finding it interesting that while a particular road that spans from Castaic to the northern limits of Los Angeles (Sylmar) is called "The Old Road", it doesn't have any meaning.   It's a modern alignment that would have been intended to represent old US-99 but in truth it does not. 

Not entirely true...the part through the Newhall Pass itself (Sierra Highway to Calgrove) is definitely former US-99, as is the section from just north of Valencia Boulevard to just north of Castaic Junction, as well as a small stretch north of Castaic itself. So I'd say it's about half "old" road (the rest being directly under I-5) and half "new" roads to connect those segments.

jlwm

Old Spanish Trail is the most well known of roads in the area with "Old" in the name. It's named for the auto trail than ran from St. Augustine, FL to San Diego, CA.
http://www.drivetheost.com/history.html

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jlwm on October 08, 2016, 02:03:50 AM
Old Spanish Trail is the most well known of roads in the area with "Old" in the name. It's named for the auto trail than ran from St. Augustine, FL to San Diego, CA.

Actually I'd say that title would have go to the National "Old" Trails Road since the route from Santa Fe to Los Angeles would become US 66.

jlwm

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 08, 2016, 09:24:12 AM

Actually I'd say that title would have go to the National "Old" Trails Road since the route from Santa Fe to Los Angeles would become US 66.

I specified that it's one of the most well known roads in this area (Houston) with Old in the name. That road didn't come anywhere near Houston.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jlwm on October 08, 2016, 06:32:05 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 08, 2016, 09:24:12 AM

I specified that it's one of the most well known roads in this area (Houston) with Old in the name. That road didn't come anywhere near Houston.

Quick read the post, probably would have paid more attention to the I45 avatar if I was on the computer.  Regardless I suppose it still applies for a lot of localities, especially between Barstow and Needles. 

One that came to mind in regards to where I used to live in Phoenix, the Old Beeline Highway from Sunflower to Mount Ord.  Basically it's an older alignment of AZ 87 that can't be used as a through route since it was turned over to private hands but it takes a much longer path up the mountain west of the current expressway.

You also have "Old US Highway 80" west of AZ 85 near Gila Bend.

Also there is an Old Highway 279 near Camp Verde which used to be part of AZ 279 before it was replaced by AZ 260.

noelbotevera

Cedar Point Chaussee...lol

This road actually has historical value. It was completed on July 19th, 1914, and was a paved road. This was five years after Woodward Avenue in Detroit was paved. It was then considered an engineering marvel.

Basically prior to the Cedar Point Causeway which is four lanes, this was used to get to the original entrance of Cedar Point, which was then reconstructed after storms destroyed the Chaussee and the entrance, which was completed in 1920 and met the truncated Chaussee. However, on June 12th, 1957, the Causeway was constructed and finished, but the Chaussee remains as an alternative.

Luckily both are accessed by the same road, US 6. However you are discouraged for whatever reason, as the entrance is unmarked and the signs tell you to turn left back onto US 6. I think they prefer you to use the Causeway, but then again if you're rewarded for your tenacity with low traffic.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Ga293

There's several Old Alabama Roads in northern Metro Atlanta, derived from the early 1800's era dirt road connecting parts of South Carolina with Alabama.

Just outside Emerson, Georgia, Old Alabama Road has been realigned, resulting in a small stretch of Old Old Alabama Rd.

7/8

There's "The Old Mail Road" in Grey County, Ontario. Here is what the historical plaque says (source - http://ontarioplaques.com/Plaques/Plaque_Grey16.html):

QuoteFor some years prior to the by-law which established it as a public road in 1846, this route had been travelled by settlers destined for the newly-opened townships of Osprey, Collingwood, Euphrasia and St. Vincent. From its junction near Duntroon with an extension of the Sunnidale Road, it ran some 34 km northwesterly to Griersville. Though it was entitled to maintenance by statute labour, the road was chronically in poor repair. Nevertheless, it remained an official road until its usefulness ended when the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Railway reached Collingwood in 1855. Save for this 8 km section still in use between Griersville and Heathcote, little evidence remains of the pioneer road.

TR69

Old Floydsburg Road is a back road that connects Crestwood and Pewee Valley in central Kentucky. At one point it's one lane wide (still two directions of travel) as it dives into a wooded ravine and then writhes up the other side. Dangerous, but fun!

This particular blade is in Pewee Valley, with the town's namesake bird on the sign.

hm insulators

A couple of southern California examples: Old Topanga Canyon Road connects Topanga Canyon Blvd. (California 27) with Mulholland Highway. In the mountains near Lake Arrowhead, once upon a time many, many years ago there was a toll road which still exists (no longer toll, of course) and it's called Old Toll Road.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Thing 342

Most on the Peninsula are old alignments for current routes:

Old Denbigh Blvd: Newport News portion of an old alignment of VA-173
Old York-Hampton Highway: Old alignment of (or precursor to?) US-17.
Old Courthouse Rd: Old alignment of US-60.
Old Ft. Eustis Blvd: Old alignment of VA-105.

Max Rockatansky

Old Escalante Road from Widstoe to Escalante, UT.  Try it some time...that along with Hell's Backbone will give you idea how not so far removed southern Utah is from dirt tracks and/or wagon routes.

lepidopteran

Between Bethesda and Rockville, MD, you have "Old Georgetown Rd." (MD-187)  Presumably, this was from before MD-355/Rockville Pike was built north of Bethesda.  But at some point this road was rerouted near its northern terminus, disconnecting the stub that runs behind the Mid-Pike Plaza (once a Korvette's).  Apparently that road was called "Old Old Georgetown Rd.", until it was renamed "Hoya Rd."; after Georgetown University's sports teams, in a sort of shout-out to the road's former name.

cl94

"Old Post Road" is a common name for former alignments of US 9 between New York City and Albany. This is because the old alignment is the historic Albany Post Road. The Post Road follows NY 9H where US 9 detours to Hudson, so old alignments along 9H are also called "Old Post Road". Elsewhere on US 9, Old Loudon Road is the old alignment through Latham, the new one sometimes referred to as "New Loudon Road". In the Albany area, it is not uncommon for new alignments to get the "new" prefix with the old alignment keeping the old name.

Generally in New York, old alignments of state/US highways are named "old route X" or, if the road has a local name, "old [local name]".
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

I was looking at a map yesterday and was reminded of North Carolina having some odd roads designated, for example, "Old NC 10" (said route located between Durham and Hillsborough). What I found odd about it when I lived there was that the "Old NC" routes didn't necessarily correspond to a current route number–for example, the Old NC 10 I just mentioned was superseded by US-70 and I-85. I wonder if the "Old" referred to a former, decommissioned system of state routes whose roads had never been given any sort of new names?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.