News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Special Routes?"

Started by hbelkins, September 08, 2018, 05:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: bing101 on July 29, 2018, 02:29:54 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 06, 2009, 08:24:26 PM
I think there is some highway in Kentucky that is 37 feet long.  I don't know what the shortest *signed* highway is.

What What only 37 feet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_highways_in_Kentucky_shorter_than_one_mile

But Kentucky 410 is the shortest signed route in the state.

"Special route?" That must be a Wiki-made-up term because never, ever, in my life have I heard that term used. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bruce

It's more convenient, concise, and accurate compared to terms like "bannered route", so Wikipedia goes with that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_route

froggie

The "talk" discussion on the Special Route wiki page is quite entertaining...should be a few familiar names in that talk to forum regulars.

Given that the MUTCD identifies the auxiliary signplate posted with the route shield as a "banner", I can see where RVDRoz came up with the term "bannered route".  Interesting that such wasn't industry standard though.

But the discussion is entertaining.  By the same rationale, "BGS" (and it's subrenditions like "LGS") is also very much a neologism.  Proper terminology is Guide Sign.

NE2

Quote from: froggie on September 09, 2018, 07:13:06 AM
Given that the MUTCD identifies the auxiliary signplate posted with the route shield as a "banner",
Where does it do that? http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/part2d.htm#section2D16
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

That MUTCD entry would indicate that the appropriate term is "alternative" route -- as opposed to "alternate" route, which is its own category and has its own auxiliary plate.

And that MUTCD entry would also indicate that states that use "nnA" for alternate routes, "nnB" for business routes, etc., are doing it wrong. Meaning Tennessee's US 41A is improper and Kentucky's Alternate US 41 is correct.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on September 09, 2018, 01:45:35 PM
And that MUTCD entry would also indicate that states that use "nnA" for alternate routes, "nnB" for business routes, etc., are doing it wrong. Meaning Tennessee's US 41A is improper and Kentucky's Alternate US 41 is correct.

You're sure US 41A is supposed to be A for Alternate? Many states just use A because it's the first letter of the alphabet and then use B, C, and occasionally D if there's more than one.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1 on September 09, 2018, 01:58:23 PMYou're sure US 41A is supposed to be A for Alternate? Many states just use A because it's the first letter of the alphabet and then use B, C, and occasionally D if there's more than one.

"A" for Alternate is a recognized convention for US highways, so I know of no state that steps on it by using B, C, D, . . . in series for US routes, though many use it for primary state highways.  (Many states do have a US XB in the vicinity of an US X, but in this context "B" is for Business.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 09, 2018, 02:46:41 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 09, 2018, 01:58:23 PMYou're sure US 41A is supposed to be A for Alternate? Many states just use A because it's the first letter of the alphabet and then use B, C, and occasionally D if there's more than one.

"A" for Alternate is a recognized convention for US highways, so I know of no state that steps on it by using B, C, D, . . . in series for US routes, though many use it for primary state highways.  (Many states do have a US XB in the vicinity of an US X, but in this context "B" is for Business.)

Oklahoma kind of does, although it's more accurately described as thrashing around in the direction of the convention without meaning to step on it. By which I mean the number of instances in which a lettered state highway spur from a US route exists, like SH-70A, but ends up getting signed as a US route. (In most cases it's pretty clear they mean to post a state highway, since by no means does it form a useful alternate to the main highway; sometimes they don't even link up again. In any case, clarification can be gained from the control section books.) Contrariwise, there are a few instances where AASHTO-approved US bannered routes get downgraded to state highway lettered spurs, like when US 75 Alternate up by Tulsa gets posted as SH-75A.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.