News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

"Highway" Signs

Started by US71, January 09, 2012, 12:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

What are some examples of "highway" signs you've seen? Not standard route shields, but commercial signs shaped like highway signs or roads?

Riviera Roadsite Motel in Joplin, MO had a sign shaped like an Interstate shield.

71 Liquors here in Ft Smith has a sign where the "1" has a dashed yellow centerline.

the old 71 Drive-in in Fayetteville, AR had 2 different signs over the years, both with "stylized" US 71 shields.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

in Sweden, of all places, I spotted some kind of ad with a perfect '61 spec wide interstate shield that said "USA" instead of the route number... I forget what it said in place of the word "interstate" or the state name.  I spotted it on an illuminated billboard while driving on the freeway in the middle of the night, and therefore had no chance to snap a photo.

the 67 Cafe here, off CA-67 in eastern San Diego has, as its logo ... a US-67 marker.  Oops.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

txstateends

The Midpoint Cafe in Adrian, TX claims to be the midpoint of Route 66 so they use various Route 66 logo images on their website
http://uglycrustpies.com/about.html

I would have thought "Midpoint Cafe" would be part of their domain name, but instead the domain reflects the style of the cafe's pies.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Takumi

On US 460 Business in Petersburg there's a "460 Market Place" in the spot of a former 7-Eleven. It has a blue-and-white US 460 shield on its signs.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

I forgot one: Route 291 Car Wash in Independence, MO . Their logo is a US 291 shield (even though it's on MO 291)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jwolfer

301 liquors near Ocala FL was actually on OLD 301 now CR200a .. The sign was even black on yellow like the old Florida colored shield.  This was 30 years ago... i cant believe that its been so long

TheStranger

Off of Van Ness Avenue/US 101 in San Francisco, is this establishment:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/csampang/5363485894/in/set-72157625842961088

Many years ago, in Daly City on Mission Street/Route 82 (old US 101), there was a "101 Club" near the intersection with West Market Street, but that closed up some time ago.  That place didn't use a route shield for its sign.
Chris Sampang

Alex

Noted this one at a convenience store while queuing at a traffic light in Henderson, Kentucky:

Takumi

In western Greensboro about 10 years ago there was a 421 Self Storage on Market Street, from which US 421 had been removed about 5 years prior. I don't remember a shield, though.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Lightning Strike

On US 14 just on the east side of Crystal Lake, IL, as you come under the train bridge there's a junkyard that as a pillar with the US 14 shield on it. The shield itself is longer than it is wider, making it quiet obvious when you pass by.

Scott5114

There's some kind of gas station on I-35 in Oklahoma City that uses a perfect 1970 spec I-35 sign in its logo. Further north is an "I-35 Bingo" that includes the letter "I" in its shield.

On OK-76 there's some kind of local business near Blanchard that includes "76" in its name. The 76 is in a diamond. Dunno if that's just a coincidence or if it's supposed to reference OK's pre-1950s state highway shield...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Quillz

All that it lacks is the proper FHWA Series font.

Central Avenue

Route 36 Motor Cars on US 36 in Delaware, Ohio uses a US shield colored like an Interstate shield:

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

formulanone

One of XM's (former) country music stations was Highway 16, although it's no longer 016 anymore.

An the other end of the spectrum, there was 95 South, with their hit "Whoop, There It Is."

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 10, 2012, 04:59:09 AM
Route 36 Motor Cars on US 36 in Delaware, Ohio uses a US shield colored like an Interstate shield:

Nah, it's just a modified South Korean-spec shield...

Quillz

The "Route 36" shield is a little different from the South Korean shield:

The Korean variant has a flat bottom, whereas the "Route 36" shield has a upward curving bottom. It reminds me of some custom Wisconsin shields that had the curve.

Coelacanth

There's a furniture store of some description on CSAH 81 near here whose sign incorporates a big 81 in the blue pentagonal county road marker.

Sorry I don't have a pic.

luokou

Monty's Club 22 - one of many karaoke bars in Garden Grove. They even have the curved "CALIFORNIA" on their versions of the Miner's Spade.  I ought to take a picture during the night time to see the neon signs actually lit up.

http://g.co/maps/9d6km

hbelkins

Gobs of 'em. Too many to mention or recall.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

flowmotion

Quote from: Alex on January 09, 2012, 05:31:18 PM
Noted this one at a convenience store while queuing at a traffic light in Henderson, Kentucky:

I'm sure the signage experts will chime in, but for an advertising sign, that's surprisingly accurate looking.

sp_redelectric

http://www.localnewscomesfirst.com/

This pair of TV stations in Medford and Klamath Falls use the Interstate shield (more or less) as their station logo...the Medford station is Channel 5, and Interstate 5 runs through Medford.

pianocello

There is (was?) a Route 61 Bar and Grill here that uses (used?) an Interstate 61 shield.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

mightyace

There's a restaurant just north of Franklin, TN that just changed its name to "Route 31 Grille" complete with a US 31 shield.  (and yes it is on US 31).

I'll try and get a picture as soon as I can.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PurdueBill

This sign off route 8 in Akron is a reasonable facsimile of a highway sign.  It's a couple years old now, iIrc, and it's getting a little beat up, but still looks better than some of the actual road signs around.

NE2

Globe Liquors in Massachusetts recycles old signs:

(photo by Steve)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Kacie Jane

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.