News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Gävle Goat

Started by Throckmorton, December 03, 2018, 02:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2018, 01:41:50 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 04, 2018, 09:15:12 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 04, 2018, 09:09:07 PM
I can't imagine what Minnesotans call it.
Duck, duck, gray duck.
I know, right?
If you think about it, the Minnesota way actually sounds more fun to play.
(For those who don't know:  instead of "duck, duck, duck, duck, duck..."  you say "brown duck, red duck, white duck, blue duck, periwinkle duck...".  Then instead of "goose" you say "grey duck".  IMHO, this would make the kids actually have to pay attention, and it also makes the one running around in a circle have to come up with color names on the fly.  The "normal" way just seems dumb in comparison.  Alas, I've never played it the Minnesota way.

I feel just the slightest bit like a troll, but I just have to point out that you forgot to close your parenthetical, or maybe just unintentionally opened one. :-P

I think I vaguely remember, in elementary school, playing a variation of duck-duck-goose that involved colors. I can't remember the details, but if the instigator was who I think it was, they definitely had family ties to Minnesota.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Duke87

I'm kind of disappointed that this story has not (yet?) ended with the people putting up the goat planning to burn it at a preplanned date and time. Since that seems to be what people want.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

english si

Quote from: Duke87 on December 05, 2018, 06:11:32 PMplanning to burn it at a preplanned date and time. Since that seems to be what people want.
No - the whole tradition is arson (or at least some form of illegal vandalism). A pre-planned burning ruins it - not least as its a gambling opportunity.

webny99

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2018, 09:11:40 PM
(:clap:)))

Thanks.  (I'll assume those extra two make up all my previous open-ended parenthetical phrases on the forum.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2018, 11:01:09 AM
Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2018, 09:11:40 PM
(:clap:)))

Thanks.  (I'll assume those extra two make up all my previous open-ended parenthetical phrases on the forum.

They did --- for about 30 seconds. I'll close the above for you, too:)

And while I'm feeling generous, here's a bank for the future that you can draw on:  (;-))))))

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2018, 01:52:06 PM
here's a bank for the future that you can draw on:  (;-))))))

Thanks, bro.
I just caught myself leaving an open parenthesis in a work e-mail this morning.  What is happening to me!
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2018, 02:41:06 PM
Thanks, bro.
I just caught myself leaving an open parenthesis in a work e-mail this morning.  What is happening to me!

The disease is spreading. X-(

formulanone

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 06, 2018, 02:55:20 PM
Thanks, bro.

The disease is spreading. X-(

You should have an open parenthesis looked at before it turns into brackets; otherwise, you'll require braces.

Scott5114

This will probably only be funny to a few people, but

/*
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MNHighwayMan

The ripoff website Slashstar?

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on December 06, 2018, 02:58:17 PM
You should have an open parenthesis looked at before it turns into brackets; otherwise, you'll require braces.

According to MARF...

Quote from: Ministry of the Alans:  Report on Fitness, 2006, § 6.1 ¶ H½
Malfermaj ĉambroj kutime ne estas aŭdataj ĝis la doktoro sciigas ilin.
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2018, 03:15:40 PM
According to MARF...

I'm really enjoying the Google Translate of that:

QuoteOpen cameras are not usually heard until the doctor announces them.

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 06, 2018, 03:29:05 PM
According to MARF...

That's because Google isn't configured to detect that dialect.
Male pronouns, please.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2018, 03:40:17 PM
According to MARF...

That's because Google isn't configured to detect that dialect.

Google doesn't know the Okie dialect because of its extreme rarity; it is only spoken natively in the region of Archer City, Florida.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on December 06, 2018, 03:44:16 PM
Google doesn't know the Okie dialect because of its extreme rarity; it is only spoken natively in the region of Archer City, Florida.

That has nothing to do with it.  Archer City is nowhere near there, as you can plainly see on the map.

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 17, 2012, 12:58:49 AM

Courtesy of the Pfafpff Oblast Library System. Oblast lines are subject to change at any time, with or without notice.
Male pronouns, please.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2018, 03:59:19 PM
Quote from: US 89 on December 06, 2018, 03:44:16 PM

That has nothing to do with it.  Archer City is nowhere near there, as you can plainly see on the map.

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 17, 2012, 12:58:49 AM

Courtesy of the Pfafpff Oblast Library System. Oblast lines are subject to change at any time, with or without notice.

Obviously you aren't looking closely enough. Since the residents of Archer City have been banned, it's clearly in Bannister Oblast.

US 89

How dare Sweden steal such a long-running Alanlandian tradition.

Quote from: route56 on December 18, 2013, 07:58:37 PM
FROM APR NEWS IN QUINDARO, I'M ALAN PLACE.

THIS YEAR'S ALREADY SHORT GIFT-BUYING SEASON CAME TO AN EVEN QUICKER END AS THE GÃ,,VLE GOAT IN FRONT OF QUINDARO HALL WAS DESTROYED BY FIRE. QUINDARO FIRE CHIEF GEORGE GREEN  (FILE TAPE): "Despite the use of flame retardants on this year's Gävle Goat, ironically, the goat burned so quickly that, by the time our boys were on the scene, there was nothing left." SO FAR, NO SUSPECTS HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED.

PFANGLE STORES ARE FACING BOTH PRAISE AND CRITICISM TODAY AS THEY ANNOUNCED THAT THEY WILL BE HAVING A FIRE SALE STARTING TOMORROW. THE PFANGLE REGIONAL MANAGER TODAY NOTED THAT THERE ARE TECHNICALLY TWELVE GIFT-GIVING DAYS IN GÃ,,VLE GOAT SEASON.

THE EARLY BURNING OF THE GOAT HAS ALSO LEFT THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SCRAMBLING.  METEOROLOGIST JIM EFFERSON: (FILE TAPE) "We were planning on having a gentle snowfall across the nation from December 24th through the 29th, with temperatures remaining low enough to keep the snow on the ground through mid-January. Now that the Gävle Goat is no more, we are working furiously with the weather goats to move up the snowfall, while also working with alanDOT to keep the roads and highways passable for travelers."

THE ALANLAND UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL TEAM LOST IT'S FINAL GAME OF THE SEASON TO THE TEAM FROM AMAZONIA. THIS WAS ALSO THE FIRST GAME TO UTILIZE THE NEW STANDARDIZED SPORTS UNIFORMS DEVELOPED BY ALANLAND FOOTBALL COACH MARTIN McMARTY. McMARTY ELECTED TO EQUIP THE ALANLAND GOATS WITH ORANGE SHOES, WHILE THE AMAZONIA COACH WENT WITH FLORESCENT YELLOW-GREEN FOOTWEAR.

AFTER THE GAME... ALANLAND UNIVERSITY QUARTERBACK ALAN DANIELS WAS REPORTEDLY SEEN BEHIND THE FOOTBALL FIELD WITH HIS COUNTERPART... AMAZON QB JENNY JACOBS. ON MONDAY, HE WAS SEEN AT ALANLAND UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL WITH "MINOR" INJURIES.

THIS IS APR NEWS.

(dammit, I spent about 10 minutes getting the time right on that quote.)

CNGL-Leudimin

I always wondered how the Pfafpff and Lnrvdxxk Oblasts got their names. OTOH I get Gerry Oblast.

Also: In before lock :bigass:
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 06, 2018, 03:06:23 PM
/*

I'm not one of those people, but it looks like a variation of unclosed parenthetical disease. Worse, maybe.

(Thanks, bro.
Anytime!  :-P)

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 06, 2018, 05:27:07 PM
I always wondered how the Pfafpff and Lnrvdxxk Oblasts got their names. OTOH I get Gerry Oblast.

Also: In before lock :bigass:

Pfafpff was because I ran across a lady at work who had a similarly ridiculous name and I spiced it up by adding more unnecessary Fs.

Lnrvdxxk was, I'm pretty sure, just keyboard smashing.

A decent number of these came about because I had already established two-letter abbreviations for several oblasts, and then I needed to expand them to be actual names. Such is the case with Gocormizant, since I had already established "GC" as an existing oblast abbreviation.

I'm still surprised nobody called me out for the joke I slipped in there about Fox Oblast.

A side note, I may be in a Dungeons & Dragons game now that does and does not take place in Quindaro...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2018, 06:03:18 PM
/*

I'm not one of those people, but it looks like a variation of unclosed parenthetical disease. Worse, maybe.
What happens in the comments stays in the comments.

*/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: vdeane on December 06, 2018, 07:56:23 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2018, 06:03:18 PM
/*
What happens in the comments stays in the comments.

*/

Oooh, now I get it. Took me long enough! :pan:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.