News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New I-5 signs in Portland

Started by Sub-Urbanite, September 14, 2015, 01:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

ODOT has recently switched to right-alignment for newer signs.  Most of the signs on US-26 near Sylvan and I-405 reflect that.
Take the road less traveled.

jakeroot

Quote from: KEK Inc. on September 24, 2015, 02:08:06 AM
ODOT has recently switched to right-alignment for newer signs.  Most of the signs on US-26 near Sylvan and I-405 reflect that.

Damn. What a shame. I always liked the center/raised tab. I think I first noticed this new theme on the I-405 left exit towards US-30, which is raised (good) but is the MUTCD-compliant style (bad) which is in my opinion, far too tall.

KEK Inc.

I like the center alignment as well, particularly since ODOT likes to use metal single-posts for their signs (which I'm a fan of).  Symmetry is always nice, which is why I liked WSDOT internal tabs.
Take the road less traveled.

OracleUsr

Oregon has moved into the MUTCD world.  One of the I-205 interchanges has a left bannered tab on it.

I guess if Minnesota and Connecticut can so can Oregon.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

myosh_tino

Although California still does not use external tabs (except for a few isolated cases), they too have joined in the practice of adding a LEFT plaque on their internal exit tabs.  Here are two sign drawings I made based on signing plans obtained from the Caltrans website...

First, the "stacked" exit tab...

And the "inline" exit tab...
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

JasonOfORoads

Does anybody know the reason why ODOT keeps on denying the existence of Exit 299B southbound? I've never seen an exit tab there, except for a couple months 2004-ish when a orange temporary panel was installed over the old sign labelling it Exit 299B. With this project I was expecting the new sign to look more like this:

Instead, ODOT designed this:

:confused:

I can understand omitting the number where space is an issue, but this is the sign placed at the Mt. Hood Freeway ghost ramp, where there's plenty of overhead space. It just makes no sense.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.