News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unnecessary Concurrencies, Name them..

Started by Avalanchez71, August 26, 2016, 03:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

US/state concurrencies are very, very common. Kentucky's "biggest" concurrency is five routes, three US and two state, in Pikeville.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

While I am on a role, I think US 98 from Okeechobee to West Palm Beach is  with both US 441 and FL 80 totally unnecessary. Considering that FL 710 does a better job, and is the most direct route into West Palm from Okeechobee and shorter by 14 miles, it should become US 98.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on September 01, 2016, 02:16:41 PM
While I am on a role, I think US 98 from Okeechobee to West Palm Beach is  with both US 441 and FL 80 totally unnecessary. Considering that FL 710 does a better job, and is the most direct route into West Palm from Okeechobee and shorter by 14 miles, it should become US 98.

Or just cut back US 441 to Okeechobee...or have it go to US 27 instead?

Avalanchez71

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 02, 2016, 01:55:33 PM
Send US 441 down to Brown's Farm.

Actually it wouldn't be such a bad quick exit of the Fort Lauderdale area if it was ever upgraded.  I'm fairly certain a good portion of CR 827 still isn't paved though.  Hell US 27 is pretty much my go-to route to get from Tampa or Orlando from Miami so I can avoid all the freeways or the Turnpike.

roadman65

You bring up an interesting point US 441 south of Okeechobee is kind of useless there.  First of all in Palm Beach and Broward Counties the independent section south of US 98 & FL 80 is called State Road 7 by locals there and is even signed that on street blades.  Having the US 441 shields are a waste of money if you cannot get local support.

Then in Miami-Dade, I am not sure if its also called State Road 7 or not, but I am sure its not called 441 or US 441.

So having it end there at US 98 and SR 70 would work or simply keep it and have it end at US 27 in South Bay.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Usually I would take 441 from Yeehaw Junction to Miami via US 27.  Basically it always seemed to me that 441 should just continue south through Belle Glade or bypass it on FL 715.  715 doesn't have the same BS 45 MPH speed zones north of Belle Glade that the current US 441/98 has.  If that was the case then FL 80 could be signed as a BL even to US 98 as it cuts east.

renegade

US-223's concurrency with US-23 from the Monroe St. exit in Sylvania, Ohio to Exit 5 in Michigan seems unnecessary
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

TEG24601

This might cause a bit of a row...

I-80/90 from Chicagoland to Ohio.  Either build an alternate Free route for one of the Interstates or replace I-94 to Detroit and Pt. Huron with I-90, then reconnect I-90 to the system in Buffalo heading to Boston.  Under this change, I-94 would terminate at I-90 at the Dan Ryan.

US-30/I-84 in Oregon.  US-30 is not much more than a scenic route through Oregon, and should be largely eliminated.  The western portion should become US-26, and US-26 should either become an extension of I-84 or I-505, with the portion after the freeway becoming an Oregon State Route.

I-96/I-275 near Detroit - FHWA already doesn't consider this in existence.  Just remove the signs.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

plain

I think that the concurrent routings of all those US and IN routes on the I-465 beltway Indianapolis of course) are the dumbest yet, especially since they are so poorly signed (not signed at all on the beltway itself) and it's hard to tell which direction on the beltway one should go for the quickest way to continue on said route, at least for those not very good with maps or directions. Indiana might as well just continued the designations through town smdh.

Virginia is filled with unnecessary concurrencies. VA 2 has already been mentioned. There's also VA 32, which should just end in Suffolk, US 360 which should end at US 58 in South Boston instead of Danville, VA 337 which shouldn't even exist at all anymore..

Maryland has a hidden concurreny on US 50/301 (I-595). I'm sure this was done so that stretch can receive interstate funding. They might as well just sign it
Newark born, Richmond bred

Quote from: plain on September 15, 2016, 11:05:12 PM
I think that the concurrent routings of all those US and IN routes on the I-465 beltway Indianapolis of course) are the dumbest yet, especially since they are so poorly signed (not signed at all on the beltway itself) and it's hard to tell which direction on the beltway one should go for the quickest way to continue on said route, at least for those not very good with maps or directions. Indiana might as well just continued the designations through town smdh.

Virginia is filled with unnecessary concurrencies. VA 2 has already been mentioned. There's also VA 32, which should just end in Suffolk, US 360 which should end at US 58 in South Boston instead of Danville, VA 337 which shouldn't even exist at all anymore..

Maryland has a hidden concurreny on US 50/301 (I-595). I'm sure this was done so that stretch can receive interstate funding. They might as well just sign it

I agree.  Refusing to sign Interstates is just stupid.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

cbeach40

Quote from: TEG24601 on September 15, 2016, 09:59:00 PM
I-80/90 from Chicagoland to Ohio.  Either build an alternate Free route for one of the Interstates or replace I-94 to Detroit and Pt. Huron with I-90, then reconnect I-90 to the system in Buffalo heading to Boston.  Under this change, I-94 would terminate at I-90 at the Dan Ryan.

If you discount the notion that "10" interstates should go coast to coast, then yeah, having 80 and 90 overlap for such a long distance makes no sense.

I-96/I-275 near Detroit - FHWA already doesn't consider this in existence.  Just remove the signs.

Or if you want to "complete the loop" you could route I-275 along I-696 or I-96 and US-23 to reconnect to I-75.
and waterrrrrrr!

Avalanchez71

Quote from: RandomDude172 on September 16, 2016, 06:47:27 AM

I agree.  Refusing to sign Interstates is just stupid.

Indiana has a state law that limits mileage of the state road system.  Since Marion County and the semi-unified Indianapolis government has the resources to maintain these routes Indiana moved the state routes out of the core of the city.

TEG24601

Quote from: cbeach40 on September 16, 2016, 08:45:33 AM

If you discount the notion that "10" interstates should go coast to coast, then yeah, having 80 and 90 overlap for such a long distance makes no sense.

Plus, Connecting Seattle to Detroit is a historic connection, dating back to US 10.  The break in 90 would be similar to the break in US 2.  Just designate a new route from Ohio to Buffalo, and you are all set.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

MNHighwayMan

MN-28's concurrency with MN-27 west of Little Falls. I get why it exists - the description of constitutional route 28 - but it's just silly in practice. MN-28 just silently vanishes in the middle of Little Falls at a relatively unimportant intersection without any signage.

JCinSummerfield

This might cause a bit of a row...

I'd just terminate I-94 in Milwaukee. With I-41, I-94 isn't necessary for a Chi-Mil interstate.

hbelkins

I was just on two of them in West Virginia.

WV 54 and WV 97. They are co-routed from their intersection point to WV 16 near Beckley, where WV 54 ends but WV 97 continues concurrently with WV 16. WV 97 then ends at the West Virginia Turnpike (I-64/I-77) while WV 16 continues.

I realize the purpose is to allow for a continuous route from the turnpike to Twin Falls State Park, but there's no need to continue WV 54.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: dzlsabe on September 01, 2016, 12:17:51 AM
Does twelve miles of I-90 AND 94 through downtown Chicago count?

Not unless you have a solution.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

I-135 in Kansas.  Literally 99% of it is cosigned with US-81.

Southbound, that remaining half-mile in Wichita should be signed "to I-35 / KTA."  The exit from the Turnpike should be signed "to I-235 / US-81."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

If they did sign it, it would just be another example of the 128 thing noted earlier–almost everyone would almost certainly continue to call it "Route 50," especially since that number continues beyond I-595 on both ends. I think it's an example of a place where there's no real benefit to signing it as an Interstate. Once upon a time when Interstate status was needed in order to post a speed limit higher than 55 mph it might have made sense, but that was never an issue in this case because the governor of Maryland from 1987 to 1995 was adamantly against raising any speed limits above 55 mph. He left office in January 1995, Maryland adopted a limited 65-mph speed limit in July 1995, and the NMSL was gone in December of that year.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 16, 2016, 12:46:02 PM
MN-28's concurrency with MN-27 west of Little Falls. I get why it exists - the description of constitutional route 28 - but it's just silly in practice. MN-28 just silently vanishes in the middle of Little Falls at a relatively unimportant intersection without any signage.

I believe that intersection was formerly US 10 until the Little Falls bypass was built in the 60s or 70s. Last I checked, the final mention of MN 28 heading east was at the MN 238 junction.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

wanderer2575

I disagree.  Maybe the case could have been made at the time the freeway was first opened, but 40 years later everyone around here knows it as I-275.  Nobody calls that stretch I-96 even though it's officially the primary route.  Removing the I-275 designation now would confuse the hell out of everyone solely for the sake of satisfying an academic technicality.  Especially since a lot of traffic uses it as a connector between I-696 and M-14, and driving directions like I-696 west --> I-96 east --> M-14 west (and vice versa) would really blow people's minds.

KEVIN_224

Is that like I-74/I-465 around much of Indianapolis? The hotel I stayed at in August of 2010 was by the Rockville Road (US Route 36) exit. It seemed like I-465 had more emphasis.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 17, 2016, 08:04:10 PM
I believe that intersection was formerly US 10 until the Little Falls bypass was built in the 60s or 70s. Last I checked, the final mention of MN 28 heading east was at the MN 238 junction.

Oh, that makes sense, I hadn't thought of that. I also find it amusing that, at the back of the MN-238 intersection, it's only marked as MN-28 west: https://goo.gl/maps/4N2FpfbyucQ2

epzik8

Did anyone say U.S. 40 and U.S. 322 in Atlantic City? They end at the exact same point.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.