This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: michravera on March 02, 2023, 02:26:17 PM
Quote from: bing101 on February 25, 2023, 03:03:43 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salinas,_California
Here is another one Salinas, CA is the largest city in Monterey County, CA and not Monterey City proper itself.

There are a couple of cities in California that are not only not the most populous city in the eponymous county, but aren't even in located the eponymous county:
Sutterville is in Sacramento County, not Sutter
Placerville is in El Dorado County, not Placer
Yuba City is in Sutter County, not Yuba

San Joaquin is in Fresno County and not San Joaquin County. 

tckma

Quote from: michravera on March 02, 2023, 02:26:17 PM
Quote from: bing101 on February 25, 2023, 03:03:43 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salinas,_California
Here is another one Salinas, CA is the largest city in Monterey County, CA and not Monterey City proper itself.

There are a couple of cities in California that are not only not the most populous city in the eponymous county, but aren't even in located the eponymous county:
Sutterville is in Sacramento County, not Sutter
Placerville is in El Dorado County, not Placer
Yuba City is in Sutter County, not Yuba

Is this one of those weird things like the county seat of Fairfax County, Virginia is Fairfax City, which is not itself located within Fairfax County?

CNGL-Leudimin

We all know municipalities that get across a county line (something that would be against conventional wisdom in Europe). But here is one case, where a city extends some of its powers (notably land surveying) across an international border!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%A4germoos
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NWI_Irish96

This seemed like the best thread to leave this:

Final Jeopardy today: Interstate 25 connects these two state capitals with the highest elevations, and runs through 3rd place Denver in between.

One of the guesses was WHAT ARE ALBANY AND BOSTON?

Not kidding.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on April 24, 2023, 07:01:10 PM

Final Jeopardy today: Interstate 25 connects these two state capitals with the highest elevations, and runs through 3rd place Denver in between.

Not kidding.

It's wrong on so many levels, but my favorite is that the person guessed a coastal city for "highest elevations".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kirbykart

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on April 24, 2023, 07:01:10 PM

Not kidding.

FritzOwl ought to make an Interstate that runs from Albany to Boston, going through Denver in between.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

GaryV

My "Is This True?" moment was finding out that Denver wasn't the highest. With all the hype as the Mile High City, I didn't consider that other state capitals could be higher.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

I was surprised to find Santa Fe is over 7,000 ft in elevation, I thought it was far lower than that. That belief also applied to Albuquerque. Heck, now I see El Paso has a 4 figure elevation even in metric.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

Basically the entire I-40 corridor from Oklahoma City to Moriarty NM increases in elevation as you go west. It's just so gradual that it looks "flat". That is, until you get to Tijeras Canyon just east of Albuquerque, which is where the Great Plains ends and the mountains of the West begin.

J N Winkler

I stumbled across this fact while digging up information on Cherry County, Nebraska:  with the exceptions of Kalawao County, Hawaii and Petroleum County, Montana, the 12 least-populous US counties are all in Nebraska or Texas.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kalvado

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 28, 2023, 10:29:04 PM
I stumbled across this fact while digging up information on Cherry County, Nebraska:  with the exceptions of Kalawao County, Hawaii and Petroleum County, Montana, the 12 least-populous US counties are all in Nebraska or Texas.
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-10-least-populated-us-counties.html
in the last 10, there are  1 HI, 1 AK,  1 MT, 3 TX, 4 NE

http://www.davickservices.com/america%27s_100_lonliest_counties.htm
Yakutat county in AK is 12 in this list. Although with 10-11-12 places being close at 633/637/642 population, a single family moving in/out can shuffle the deck.

dvferyance

Marquette Michigan is in EST even though it is west of Milwaukee. Puerto Vallarta Mexico is in CST despite being on the Pacific Coast.

GaryV

Quote from: dvferyance on May 06, 2023, 09:26:44 PM
Puerto Vallarta Mexico is in CST despite being on the Pacific Coast.
Your point is? That Mexico and Central America bend to the east? Chile is the same time zone as Atlantic Canada, despite being on the Pacific Ocean.

Rothman

Quote from: GaryV on May 07, 2023, 07:48:58 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on May 06, 2023, 09:26:44 PM
Puerto Vallarta Mexico is in CST despite being on the Pacific Coast.
Your point is? That Mexico and Central America bend to the east? Chile is the same time zone as Atlantic Canada, despite being on the Pacific Ocean.
I thought his point about Central and South America swinging further east than common perception was well-made, despite it being generally known in the niche knowledge of members on here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CNGL-Leudimin

The French Assembly constituencies actually cover most of the World, not only La France and its possessions. Thus, you are actually living in the 1st French overseas constituency in addition to your Congressional district, while I am in the 5th one (although not far from the border with department 64 (Pyrenees Atlantiques)'s 4th constituency). However they are only meaningful to French citizens.

Rothman

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 07, 2023, 08:58:29 AM
The French Assembly constituencies actually cover most of the World, not only La France and its possessions. Thus, you are actually living in the 1st French overseas constituency in addition to your Congressional district, while I am in the 5th one (although not far from the border with department 64 (Pyrenees Atlantiques)'s 4th constituency). However they are only meaningful to French citizens.
French Citizens Overseas Constituencies, anyway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Road Hog

Bruce

Not common but also not rare. Italy and Tunisia both have more than a dozen overseas constituencies, while the US Democratic Party holds primaries for voters abroad.

Rothman

Quote from: Bruce on May 08, 2023, 03:30:47 AM

Not common but also not rare. Italy and Tunisia both have more than a dozen overseas constituencies, while the US Democratic Party holds primaries for voters abroad.
Republicans still encourage expats to vote through absentee ballot, despite not having the formal process for expat delegates like Democrats Abroad or whatever it's called.

Scott5114

Democrats Abroad is only for Presidential primaries, however. All other elections you just vote absentee in whatever constituency you lived in last before going abroad.

Road Hog

At the peak of the Cold War before the Wall fell there were more than a million Americans living in West Germany, mostly soldiers and their dependents. That was more than 12 states and DC in the 1980 Census.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.