News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

East Kellog Construction- Wichita

Started by roadman65, March 22, 2018, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Isn't this just a warmed-over I-66 proposal?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DJStephens

Limited access four lane (US - 54) reached the E side of Kingman in 1979.  Since then, pretty much nothing substantial in further construction west.    Did see a video the other day, apparently the ROW for the Kingman bypass is secured, but there is no money to build it.   Given how much trucking uses the US - 54 corridor, it should be four lane all the way to Tucumcari.  With limited access bypasses around virtually all towns along the way.   

splashflash

https://www.ksdot.org/US-54/

Bypasses of Kingman and Pratt shown at link above.  An old link belowis from someone opposed to the work,  is here: https://www.wichitaliberty.org/category/kansas-government/.  Warning, those allergic to political views should avoid it.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: DJStephens on August 18, 2022, 12:02:23 AM
Limited access four lane (US - 54) reached the E side of Kingman in 1979.  Since then, pretty much nothing substantial in further construction west.    Did see a video the other day, apparently the ROW for the Kingman bypass is secured, but there is no money to build it.   Given how much trucking uses the US - 54 corridor, it should be four lane all the way to Tucumcari.  With limited access bypasses around virtually all towns along the way.   

That reminds me of a detail, wasn't one of these downtown towns destroyed by a tornado around 2006 or 2007, US-54 was supposed to bypass but KSDOT decided to pass thru that town since the tornado hit the core of that town?

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 18, 2022, 06:52:22 PM
That reminds me of a detail, wasn't one of these downtown towns destroyed by a tornado around 2006 or 2007, US-54 was supposed to bypass but KSDOT decided to pass thru that town since the tornado hit the core of that town?

Greensburg.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

DJStephens

Quote from: splashflash on August 18, 2022, 07:51:50 AM
https://www.ksdot.org/US-54

KDOT link is from 2006.  This has been on the books for a long time.   Did read about how former Governor Brownback used fuel tax revenues, as his own personal "piggy bank" to fund other causes in KS state government.   

Plutonic Panda

Will the remaining eastern segments of US-400 in Wichita be converted into a freeway?

J N Winkler

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 18, 2024, 07:38:11 PMWill the remaining eastern segments of US-400 in Wichita be converted into a freeway?

Yes.

East Kellogg Improvements project website

A design-build contractor has been appointed and construction is expected to begin in 2025.  This work will extend the Kellogg freeway east two miles from the K-96/127th Street East interchange complex to the Sedgwick/Butler county line.  I'm not aware that any work further into Butler County is definitely in the pipeline, but a major master-planned development is being put together near the corridor with a right-of-way allowance for future expansion of the freeway.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Plutonic Panda

Thanks for posting that. Wichita will have quite the freeway network for a city its size once these improvements are completed. Just a few other interchanges to fix. Good stuff.

webny99

It looks like the US 400/K 96 interchange will also be reconstructed as part of this project, including a new ramp from the northbound Turnpike that will provide access to both US 400 EB and K 96. Being from a state where toll road interchanges are few and far between, I must admit to being confused by the conglomerate of ramps between the Turnpike, US 400, and K 96. Is the idea that direct ramps between US 400 and the Turnpike will be added over time? Some of the ramps (especially US 400 EB to the Turnpike SB) seem redundant, while others that would be useful (US 400 WB to Turnpike NB and SB; Turnpike NB to 127th St) remain missing.

splashflash

Quote from: DJStephens on August 18, 2022, 12:02:23 AM
https://www.kscbnews.net/highway-bypass-project-moving-forward-in-pratt/. Just no date given
The City of Pratt is very supportive of this project. The most current traffic count of approximately 15,270 vehicles, in which over 2,910 of them are semi-trucks, travel through Pratt daily but, many times, the traffic exceeds that number. The expansion to four lanes would create a safe and efficient corridor for commercial as well as individual travel.

The 54-corridor project around Pratt scored higher than some others because of economic and safety factors and because the right-of-way has already been acquired.

"The KDOT scoring system recognizes the concerns with the amount of truck traffic in Pratt. The right-of-way for the Pratt bypass was acquired by KDOT a number of years ago, but just because the right-of-way has been acquired doesn't mean they are going to carry through with the project in the near future. During the last round of talks this project did not make the list to be funded even though right of way has been acquired. However, the goal of multiple communities from Wichita to Liberal, is to have KDOT continue expanding to ensure there is a four-lane route from Wichita to Liberal as quickly as is feasible and possible," Morgan said.

DJStephens

Due to the amount of freight, and the realities of the route as a direct "short cut" it would make sense to have a completely limited access route eventually.   Would pursue an Indiana/Ohio approach here, with Interstate grade bypasses and four lane expressway sections between them, that could be made limited access gradually.    Should have already been in place.   

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 18, 2024, 10:54:51 PM

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 18, 2024, 07:38:11 PM
Will the remaining eastern segments of US-400 in Wichita be converted into a freeway?

Yes.

East Kellogg Improvements project website

A design-build contractor has been appointed and construction is expected to begin in 2025.  This work will extend the Kellogg freeway east two miles from the K-96/127th Street East interchange complex to the Sedgwick/Butler county line.  I'm not aware that any work further into Butler County is definitely in the pipeline, but a major master-planned development is being put together near the corridor with a right-of-way allowance for future expansion of the freeway.

A salesman at the car dealership near Kellogg & 143rd just told me they've already been told the property will be demolished for this project, but they haven't yet been given their "move out by" date.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

The Ghostbuster

Is it likely that US 54/US 400 might eventually be completely freeway from Kingman to the 54/400 eastern spilt? A southern bypass of Augusta may be necessary to complete such an upgrade.

J N Winkler

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 26, 2024, 03:00:11 PMIs it likely that US 54/US 400 might eventually be completely freeway from Kingman to the 54/400 eastern spilt? A southern bypass of Augusta may be necessary to complete such an upgrade.

I have heard nothing about a bypass of Augusta.  But that doesn't mean one won't be coming--it was not that long ago that "Nah" was what you heard in response to any suggestion the freeway would extend into Butler County.

My expectation, in the short to medium term, would be full freeway all the way from just east of Kingman to just east of Andover.  The Kingman bypass has been in the pipeline for over a decade at this point--I actually have draft sign layouts for it in my files that date back to the early 2010's--but it keeps failing to make the cut with each funding round.

Quote from: kphoger on February 26, 2024, 02:40:34 PMA salesman at the car dealership near Kellogg & 143rd just told me they've already been told the property will be demolished for this project, but they haven't yet been given their "move out by" date.

I attended a public meeting for this project almost two years ago now, in May 2022.  Although it is under a design-build contract that I think was awarded that year, it looks to me like they are waiting to finish final design before they start moving earth.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.