News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Should the NFL abandon the hope of a London team?

Started by OCGuy81, August 09, 2022, 03:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

When I was in the UK, tickets for stage theatre were cheaper; I paid £19.55 for mine (about US$24), which were the cheapest seats. Similarly, there's a poster at The Friendly Toast in Burlington MA for a music group in the 1960s where the cheapest seats were 4 shillings 6 pence, or about US$5 after currency conversion and inflation. I don't know if this extends to sports or if UK cheaper tickets extends to Canada.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

TXtoNJ

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 17, 2022, 11:21:43 AM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on August 17, 2022, 11:17:22 AM
The issue is that Canadians tend to have less discretionary income than Americans do, as salaries are lower for equivalent positions (along with taxes being higher).

Cite?

1. I live in Canada now and have worked in the US. This is very well known up here.
2. Here.
3. Requesting a citation for something fairly well-known is exhausting. You'd be better off posting contradictory citations if you really want to dispute an assertion.

hotdogPi

Quote from: TXtoNJ on August 17, 2022, 04:18:01 PM
1. I live in Canada now and have worked in the US. This is very well known up here.
2. Here.
3. Requesting a citation for something fairly well-known is exhausting. You'd be better off posting contradictory citations if you really want to dispute an assertion.

This is about discretionary income, not disposable income; what the discussion is about is income that can be used on whatever you want. You have to pay a lot more for health care in the US. Same with college, if you're a college student.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TXtoNJ on August 17, 2022, 04:18:01 PM
2. Here.

Certainly didn't mean to be exhausting. Just something I didn't know. All my Canadian friends (which are few) all make plenty of good money, and in the case of one (a teacher), he makes more than he would in the U.S. I do see teachers being an exception in the article you posted. I guess the plural of my anecdotes are not data. Carry on.

webny99

Canada also has more paid holidays, and in my experience people generally get more paid vacation time and are more willing to use it when compared to the US. It's more comparable to Europe in that regard.

skluth

We have a lot of snowbird Canadians who live here every winter. Their not being able to come to the US during COVID was a significant hit to our local economy. Our snowbirds certainly don't seem to lack discretionary income. The broad "they don't make as much" is stupid because there are always people who make more or less than average. There are certainly enough well-off Canadians that can support sports other than hockey and curling given the success of the Toronto Blue Jays and Raptors.

Bruce

I'd imagine the relative wealth of older Canadians is directly tied to the massive housing shortage that is eating into the income of younger Canadians.

skluth

Quote from: Bruce on August 17, 2022, 05:19:21 PM
I'd imagine the relative wealth of older Canadians is directly tied to the massive housing shortage that is eating into the income of younger Canadians.

Not unlike the situation in the US

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.