News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Greensboro Urban Loop

Started by Henry, February 07, 2011, 03:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 30, 2019, 10:46:56 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 30, 2019, 10:44:54 PM
Fun Fact: If the connection from I-40 to I-73 was built, there would be a lot of traffic on the northern part of the Greensboro Urban Loop.
How would a connection between I-40 and I-73 bring a lot of traffic to I-840? Traffic can already access it via I-40 to I-73 directly.
http://prntscr.com/qhrt8i

This was what I was thinking when you look at (Bypass 2).

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 30, 2019, 10:50:37 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on December 30, 2019, 10:46:56 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 30, 2019, 10:44:54 PM
Fun Fact: If the connection from I-40 to I-73 was built, there would be a lot of traffic on the northern part of the Greensboro Urban Loop.
How would a connection between I-40 and I-73 bring a lot of traffic to I-840? Traffic can already access it via I-40 to I-73 directly.
http://prntscr.com/qhrt8i

This was what I was thinking when you look at (Bypass 2).
Potentially...

The current I-40 through is 19 minutes, the southern loop is 22 minutes, the completed northern loop would be 26 minutes, and a connector + northern loop would be 23 minutes.

I wouldn't say a "lot" of traffic, but could be a draw.

These signs are to be placed on either end of the urban loop to provide route and time options for travelers between either end of the city on I-40 via I-840, I-40, or I-73 and I-85. More than likely, I-40 and I-73 / I-85 will continue to be the preferred east-west routes, with I-840 acting more as a local route and connection to I-785 / US-29 north, though could be useful if anything were to ever happen that chokes both the southern loop and I-40 straight thru.

Roadsguy

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 30, 2019, 10:35:31 PM
The signage at US-220 Battleground Ave to I-840 reads "I-840 East - To Lawndale Dr" with space open for another route number, likely "To US-29" or "To I-785" in the future.

The signage plans do indicate that there will be a "To I-785" shield there, and that "To Lawndale Drive" will be replaced with "Raleigh" (which will be signed all the way from the I-73/I-840/Bryan Blvd interchange). Similarly, Winston-Salem will be signed westbound starting from the interchange with US 29. Danville is already signed northbound on I-785/Future I-840 between I-40/85 and US 29, and that won't change.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

LM117

The new section is showing up on Google Maps, though it's not marked as a freeway.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on January 09, 2020, 07:56:07 AM
The new section is showing up on Google Maps, though it's not marked as a freeway.
It will likely change eventually, the segment of upgraded US-220 to I-73 north of the city was like this, and changed to freeway. It being designated as an interstate may be the reason why it switches once the system processes it.

tjcreasy

For traffic heading towards Greensboro from the east, I-840 will provide some time savings to PTI Airport. I hope I-840 is signed to reflect the time savings as it will further reduce traffic through Death Valley.

Roadsguy

Quote from: tjcreasy on January 09, 2020, 02:34:48 PM
For traffic heading towards Greensboro from the east, I-840 will provide some time savings to PTI Airport. I hope I-840 is signed to reflect the time savings as it will further reduce traffic through Death Valley.

They will be putting dynamic travel time signs on I-40 on each side of the city listing times to the other side via I-40 through downtown, the I-73/85 southern loop, and I-840. I-840 will also be signed for Winston-Salem and Raleigh in their respective directions, but only starting from I-785 and Friendly Avenue, respectively, and not from the termini at I-40.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

tjcreasy

Understood, but that specific sign won't mean much to motorist headed to PTI.

sprjus4

The signage for I-540 on the east side at I-87 includes "RDU Airport", encouraging traffic to go around the northern loop to enter the airport.

It'll be a similar situation in Greensboro presumably, with or without signage.

Roadsguy

I checked the signing plans and didn't see any mention of the airport at the eastern terminus of 840, so I don't know.

bob7374

Link to a drone video shot yesterday showing progress in constructing I-840 west of US 29:
https://youtu.be/9QaZHEfMVPM

Strider

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 09, 2020, 06:14:56 PM
I checked the signing plans and didn't see any mention of the airport at the eastern terminus of 840, so I don't know.

It isn't listed because I-840 isn't fully completed yet. Can't sign that shows any mention of the airport that way. They're more likely to put it when I-840 is fully completed.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Strider on January 10, 2020, 03:19:46 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on January 09, 2020, 06:14:56 PM

It isn't listed because I-840 isn't fully completed yet. Can't sign that shows any mention of the airport that way. They're more likely to put it when I-840 is fully completed.

I should've specified, but I meant the signing plans for U-2525C, the last segment between Lawndale and US 29, which also includes the dynamic travel time signs for all three travel options across the area. When it's finished and all the signage is installed, I-840 will be fully completed.

ARMOURERERIC

Why no flyover from.29/785 south to 840 clockwise.

Roadsguy

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 10, 2020, 07:00:47 PM
Why no flyover from.29/785 south to 840 clockwise.

It was probably designed before I-785 was planned (or at least certain to follow the loop; perhaps it was once intended to follow US 29 and former Business 85 through Greensboro), and they didn't think the movement would be heavy enough to justify increasing the cost and complexity of the pair of interchanges by adding another flyover and keeping the other needed one.

tjcreasy

A very very long time ago I-785 was supposed to follow US 29 to what is now Business 85. I would imagine this was way before the state decided to relocate I-85 through Greensboro.

sprjus4

Are there any plans to upgrade the small segment of US-29 between I-840 and Cone Blvd to freeway standards? The segment from Cone Blvd down to I-40, while substandard, is a freeway, and closing that short gap would only make sense in the long-run, especially as I-785 is completed between I-840 and Danville.

Improvements along the substandard freeway portion should also be studied, such as providing continuous right paved shoulders, better signage, limited-access fencing, etc. The segment from Gate City Blvd to I-40 is mostly updated, including good signage, paved shoulders, etc. but not so much north of there.

It's an old roadway, but is built to freeway standards, and is a valuable piece of infrastructure in the local road network, and should be maintained and improved upon as a piece in the freeway system. Right now, it seems merely treated as a surface arterial that happens to have grade separations and interchanges.

Roadsguy

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 10, 2020, 10:52:31 PM
Are there any plans to upgrade the small segment of US-29 between I-840 and Cone Blvd to freeway standards? The segment from Cone Blvd down to I-40, while substandard, is a freeway, and closing that short gap would only make sense in the long-run, especially as I-785 is completed between I-840 and Danville.

Improvements along the substandard freeway portion should also be studied, such as providing continuous right paved shoulders, better signage, limited-access fencing, etc.

It's an old roadway, but is built to freeway standards, and is a valuable piece of infrastructure in the local road network, and should be maintained and improved upon as a piece in the freeway system. Right now, it seems merely treated as a surface arterial that happens to have grade separations and interchanges.

The three lanes of southbound throughput through the interchange with I-840 suggest eventual plans to upgrade the entire thing to a modern six-lane freeway, though it's not an active plan as far as I'm aware.

On the topic of substandard Greensboro freeways that deserve upgrades to modern standards, I wish it were remotely feasible to extend the Wendover Avenue freeway down to I-40. The whole thing would make a nice 3di.

bob7374

I've posted a new set of photos taken along the currently open sections of I-840 and I-785 by David Johnson. Here's the signage at the US 220/Battleground Avenue exit heading east put up when the Loop was extended to Lawndale Drive:

Other photos can be found at: http://www.malmeroads.net/ncfutints/futloop.html#i840photos

bob7374

A couple photos courtesy of Strider showing progress constructing the I-840 Greensboro Loop between Lawndale Drive and North Elm Street. Photos taken looking east then west from the recently opened Lake Jeanette Road bridge over the future interstate:

This section is still planned to be opened by the end of the year.

bob7374

I've posted a couple new drone videos of Greensboro Loop construction taken last week by Heliflyer on my Future Loop page: http://www.malmeroads.net/ncfutints/futloop.html#videos

architect77

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 30, 2019, 11:58:07 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on December 30, 2019, 10:35:31 PM
The signage at US-220 Battleground Ave to I-840 reads "I-840 East - To Lawndale Dr" with space open for another route number, likely "To US-29" or "To I-785" in the future.

The signage plans do indicate that there will be a "To I-785" shield there, and that "To Lawndale Drive" will be replaced with "Raleigh" (which will be signed all the way from the I-73/I-840/Bryan Blvd interchange). Similarly, Winston-Salem will be signed westbound starting from the interchange with US 29. Danville is already signed northbound on I-785/Future I-840 between I-40/85 and US 29, and that won't change.

Can you believe that Georgia has no informational overheads on any highways or junctions with interstates? Even in Atlanta, the most that we get is a tiny lane sign with an interstate shield to know where to turn. And those tiny signs are neglected for decades and not replaced at 60% or more interstate junctions across the state.

NC spends millions upon millions more just for these overheads on non-interstate roads. Be glad.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe the US 220 north sign should have had a control city on it, such as Summerfield or even Madison. Martinsville and Roanoke are probably too far away.

Love2drive

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 24, 2020, 09:07:29 PM
Maybe the US 220 north sign should have had a control city on it, such as Summerfield or even Madison. Martinsville and Roanoke are probably too far away.

Not too far... its signed on Wendover Ave.  They used to have a different sign... with just a Big Shield 220 and Roanoke on it.... not sure how long ago this replacement sign was put up.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0887431,-79.8025656,3a,75y,288h,84.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sn3JAlYlk3Sng6QRy7phv_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

sprjus4

Quote from: Love2drive on September 24, 2020, 10:53:58 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 24, 2020, 09:07:29 PM

Not too far... its signed on Wendover Ave.  They used to have a different sign... with just a Big Shield 220 and Roanoke on it.... not sure how long ago this replacement sign was put up.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0887431,-79.8025656,3a,75y,288h,84.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sn3JAlYlk3Sng6QRy7phv_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
At that rate, I'd follow Wendover to Bryan to I-73 past the airport.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.