News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 25, 2016, 03:55:15 PM
Maybe when 495 gets extended to 95, the 795 designation could be extended to 495. I doubt that would happen though.

actually i wouldn't be surprised if 795 does get extended west to Zebulon when that happens.  Upgrading 264 from Zebulon to 95 wouldn't be difficult - just shoulder work for the most part.

Mileage Mike

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 25, 2016, 06:28:01 PM
Maybe when 495 gets extended to 95, the 795 designation could be extended to 495. I doubt that would happen though.

The folks who want an interstate number on US 264 are in Greenville; they want a number that covers the road all the way to their town.

Maybe they can get 264 to get signed as a 3di spur of I-95. Maybe 195.

slorydn1

Lane closures on Neuse and Trent River Bridges from today through June 15th

QuoteClosures will be happening on the N.C. 55 / U.S. 70 bridge over the Trent River, and the N.C. 55 / U.S. 17 bridge over the Neuse River will have lane closures beginning at 9 a.m., Tuesday.[/font]One lane will be closed 24/7, and at least one lane will remain open from now until June 15th.
DOT crews will be replacing expansion joints and lay down a protective coating on both bridges during the next few months.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Jmiles32

Quote from: Cemajr on February 29, 2016, 11:17:49 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 25, 2016, 06:28:01 PM

The folks who want an interstate number on US 264 are in Greenville; they want a number that covers the road all the way to their town.

Maybe they can get 264 to get signed as a 3di spur of I-95. Maybe 195.
The question would be is worth it
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

The Ghostbuster

Whether it is worth it depends on whether or not one thinks North Carolina needs more Interstates.

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 01, 2016, 04:20:21 PM
Whether it is worth it depends on whether or not one thinks North Carolina needs more Interstates.
North Carolina loves interstates, that's for sure. I don't really think there's anything fundamentally wrong with that. However, the state is piling up a huge backlog of "Future I-xx" mileage that needs to be upgraded to interstate standards. I'd like to see some progress on those upgrades, and right now I'm not seeing much of it. A good place to start would be the section of Future I-26 north of Asheville.

Jmiles32

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 01, 2016, 04:32:42 PM
North Carolina loves interstates, that's for sure. I don't really think there's anything fundamentally wrong with that. However, the state is piling up a huge backlog of "Future I-xx" mileage that needs to be upgraded to interstate standards. I'd like to see some progress on those upgrades, and right now I'm not seeing much of it. A good place to start would be the section of Future I-26 north of Asheville.
They still haven't finished I-26? Ncdot step your game up.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Jmiles32 on March 01, 2016, 05:32:12 PM
The section of US 19/23 north of Asheville is well short of interstate standards. Here's the sign at the south end of the section, coming off I-240 northbound:
https://goo.gl/maps/Spo9np63WD82

The substandard section is about 20 miles long.

Revive 755

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 01, 2016, 06:48:37 PM
The section of US 19/23 north of Asheville is well short of interstate standards. Here's the sign at the south end of the section, coming off I-240 northbound:

Doesn't look as bad as the section of I-70 through Wheeling, WV, which I don't believe there are any plans to fix.

North Carolina's representatives in Congress just need to step up, legislate that section as I-26, and put an end to this future interstate nonsense.

The Ghostbuster

Everyone knows that it takes many years to study, fund and construct any highway improvement. It would be nice to do it faster, but that's the way it will always be.

orulz

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 01, 2016, 06:48:37 PM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on March 01, 2016, 05:32:12 PM

The substandard section is about 20 miles long.
Finishing I-26 through Asheville alone is estimated to be a $600-$800 million project. From Woodfin to Mars Hill will be another $184 million. So this is essentially a billion dollar project. Not something the state of NC will take on lightly. The most expensive segment, the new bridge over the French Broad River, is pretty badly needed, but for everything else, I don't see a need to rush it. I-26 from Asheville to Johnson City is frankly not that important of a transportation corridor.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: orulz on March 02, 2016, 04:36:01 PM
Finishing I-26 through Asheville alone is estimated to be a $600-$800 million project. From Woodfin to Mars Hill will be another $184 million. So this is essentially a billion dollar project. Not something the state of NC will take on lightly. The most expensive segment, the new bridge over the French Broad River, is pretty badly needed, but for everything else, I don't see a need to rush it. I-26 from Asheville to Johnson City is frankly not that important of a transportation corridor.

Mars Hill to Woodfin upgrades are on the 2016-2025 STIP, slated for construction in 2022.  Asheville Connector, recently added to the STIP, is slated for 2023 construction.  So the good news is funding has been found and are on the calendar.

Jmiles32

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 02, 2016, 07:12:24 PM

Mars Hill to Woodfin upgrades are on the 2016-2025 STIP, slated for construction in 2022.  Asheville Connector, recently added to the STIP, is slated for 2023 construction.  So the good news is funding has been found and are on the calendar.
What's wrong with Mars Hill to Woodfin segment, tight shoulders? I understand the need for the Ashville Connecter and yes that could not come soon enough.

Revive 755

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 02, 2016, 03:37:11 PM
Everyone knows that it takes many years to study, fund and construct any highway improvement. It would be nice to do it faster, but that's the way it will always be.

I'm not referring to getting funding and building the upgrade now, I'm referring to getting legislation overriding FHWA and allowing that section to be signed as I-26 without any 'future' banners, even though that section is not up to interstate standards at the moment.

mvak36

So I'm guessing that once the Mars Hill to Woodfin and the Asheville Connector, it can all be signed as I-26 right?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 02, 2016, 08:18:01 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 02, 2016, 03:37:11 PM

I'm not referring to getting funding and building the upgrade now, I'm referring to getting legislation overriding FHWA and allowing that section to be signed as I-26 without any 'future' banners, even though that section is not up to interstate standards at the moment.

It's not really that big of a deal.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: mvak36 on March 02, 2016, 10:10:41 PM

So I'm guessing that once the Mars Hill to Woodfin and the Asheville Connector, it can all be signed as I-26 right?

Either actually.  If the upgrades finish first then it can already by signed; if they complete around same time, so much the better. If it was reversed, they probably could have gotten a waiver then.

bob7374

I-77 Toll Lane project in jeopardy? NCDOT issued a short press release today stating governor has asked them to reassess the I-77 Toll Lanes due to bankruptcy of Texas toll project: https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=12273

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

@bob7374 It is in jeopardy! You know that the toll road project is dangerous to the LKN community and all of N.C.?

SM-G360T1

If it is possible to cancel tolls on I-77, general purpose lanes should be the only option! In the words of Kurt Naas, 'complete and delete!'

mvak36

So this company has already bankrupted on the Indiana Toll Road and now TX-130. Bodes well for I-77 lanes doesn't it?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

The Ghostbuster

Maybe some other toll company can pick up the slack.

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

No toll companies no more!! The Transportation Departments could maintain roads!!!

SM-G360T1

If it is possible to cancel tolls on I-77, general purpose lanes should be the only option! In the words of Kurt Naas, 'complete and delete!'

wdcrft63

NCDOT has awarded a $108M contract for the last widening project on I-85 between Charlotte and Greensboro.
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=12276

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 03, 2016, 04:37:26 PM
NCDOT has awarded a $108M contract for the last widening project on I-85 between Charlotte and Greensboro.
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=12276
But what about Hillsborough?

SM-G360T1

froggie

QuoteBut what about Hillsborough?

Not between Charlotte and Greensboro.  And not as high of a need as the segment just awarded.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.