News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OracleUsr

I remember having to go through Newton and  Conover to  get from one segment of I-40 to the next; my father's family lived in Knoxville, and we lived in Greensboro so we drove what is now US 70 through the area until 1977.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

1995hoo

Supposedly North Carolina is to begin zero-tolerance speed limit enforcement. "Obey the sign or pay the fine."

I have my doubts as to whether that'll actually happen. But since I saw the article, I figured I'd pass it on.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

broadhurst04

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 24, 2016, 10:17:09 PM
Supposedly North Carolina is to begin zero-tolerance speed limit enforcement. "Obey the sign or pay the fine."

I have my doubts as to whether that'll actually happen. But since I saw the article, I figured I'd pass it on.

I think this is only for the upcoming Easter weekend and a few days after that. I really doubt they're going to ticket people for going 1 MPH over; there aren't enough officers on the payroll to do that, and the tickets would be dismissed in court when the judges see lines circling the building 10 times over.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: broadhurst04 on March 24, 2016, 10:23:44 PM

I think this is only for the upcoming Easter weekend and a few days after that. I really doubt they're going to ticket people for going 1 MPH over; there aren't enough officers on the payroll to do that, and the tickets would be dismissed in court when the judges see lines circling the building 10 times over.

Agreed.  It's a holiday weekend and the Highway Patrol will already have more troopers for it.  This will last the week or so and then back to normal. 

Henry

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 24, 2016, 06:10:56 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on March 23, 2016, 10:52:00 PM
So are they unveiling the number too, or just the sign? :biggrin:
The signs will simply say "Future Interstate Corridor." I don't think there will be a shield, blank or otherwise, but I'll be interested to see. No word on what number will be requested.
Any number between 42 and 62 would still do, though I'd expect it to be in the 40s, mainly because it would start at or near I-40.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CanesFan27

I could repost by southeast roads post.  It's not the case.

wdcrft63

"Future Interstate" signs unveiled on the US 70 not-yet-open Goldsboro Bypass:
http://wnct.com/2016/03/30/sign-for-future-u-s-70-interstate-to-be-unveiled-in-goldsboro/

The signs say "Future Interstate" at the top and have a large blank green space where a shield can be placed after a number for the future interstate becomes known.

The Ghostbuster

What will the Interstate designation be? Keep us posted.

bob7374

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 30, 2016, 01:04:45 PM
http://wnct.com/2016/03/30/sign-for-future-u-s-70-interstate-to-be-unveiled-in-goldsboro/

The signs say "Future Interstate" at the top and have a large blank green space where a shield can be placed after a number for the future interstate becomes known.
Don't know, especially given the many years it will take until the project to upgrade US 70 is completed, why the hurry to unveil a sign with a blank space now. Why not wait until May when AASHTO, assuming it get's an application from NCDOT, will decide which number NCDOT can use.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: bob7374 on March 30, 2016, 08:31:31 PM

Don't know, especially given the many years it will take until the project to upgrade US 70 is completed, why the hurry to unveil a sign with a blank space now. Why not wait until May when AASHTO, assuming it get's an application from NCDOT, will decide which number NCDOT can use.

Photo op to distract from the recent H.B. 2 controversy?

slorydn1

Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 30, 2016, 10:56:00 PM

Photo op to distract from the recent H.B. 2 controversy?

Nah this was planned before all of that broke loose.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

froggie

Photo op in general.  Gives the politicians the ability to "show" that they're actually doing "something" when they're really not...

Henry

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 30, 2016, 04:01:33 PM
At this point, we still don't know. I could see this become an eastern I-44, or barring that, I-42, I-46 or I-48. None of the last three numbers are currently in use anywhere, so I think they'd be a good fit there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CanesFan27

A few things
1) this sign is located on the under construction section of the 70 bypass. So - as long as it's not signed anywhere else - a blank sign just is publicity.  This section of 70 will be opened after Aashto in May and when it opens they can place the shield - open sections of 70 can wait till the designation is assigned

2) silly as it is but this sign appears to have the same dimensions as the Future 495 signs on 64 between 540 and Rocky Mount.  They want a 2di but .... When you are looking for clues that's about all you get

3) the sign unveiling was scheduled and pushed by the Super70 commission before anything with HB2. It is strictly for publicity and awareness of the route - check the box stuff. Heck gov. Easley came to a rather uneventful groundbreaking for an expansion of a shingle mfg plant. Just a check the box thing politicos do.

wdcrft63

It's I-50. Here is an excerpt from an email from Mr. Durwood Stephenson, the director of the Super 70 Corridor Commission:

"The Corridor Commission has recommended I-50 for several reasons; i.e. no conflicts with numbering, must be even number between 46 and 70. ASHTO will make final decision hopefully at their annual meeting in May, 2016."

74/171FAN

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 31, 2016, 12:12:27 PM

It's I-50. Here is an excerpt from an email from Mr. Durwood Stephenson, the director of the Super 70 Corridor Commission:

"The Corridor Commission has recommended I-50 for several reasons; i.e. no conflicts with numbering, must be even number between 46 and 70. AASHTO will make final decision hopefully at their annual meeting in May, 2016."

Does NC 50 not count as a conflict with numbering?  Especially since it is concurrent with US 70 and partly US 401 through Raleigh into Garner
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

He may have meant no conflict with there being another I-50 somewhere else...?

North Carolina already has I-74/US 74 and I-73/NC 73 without a problem.

There is no rule about state route conflict anyway.  South Carolina has several (20, 126, 185, 385) and only renumbered SC 77 and SC 85 because they crossed into North Carolina and NC renumbered all its original conflicts.  SC 26 and SC 95 were renumbered before the interstate era.

Mike

CanesFan27

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 31, 2016, 12:09:25 PM

"The Corridor Commission has recommended I-50 for several reasons; i.e. no conflicts with numbering, must be even number between 46 and 70. ASHTO will make final decision hopefully at their annual meeting in May, 2016."

Did you mail them - if go great job!

mvak36

Quote from: CanesFan27 on March 31, 2016, 12:44:23 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 31, 2016, 12:09:25 PM

Did you mail them - if go great job!

Yes. Thanks for getting that info.

Also, what does this do for the Norfolk-Raleigh interstate number? :poke: :spin:
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

wdcrft63

Also, what does this do for the Norfolk-Raleigh interstate number? :poke: :spin:
If I-50 is accepted by AASHTO, then to fit the grid the US 64/17 route would have to have an even number between 52 and 62. I don't know whether NCDOT is asking for a number for that route on this AASHTO cycle as well.

mvak36

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 31, 2016, 02:06:51 PM
If I-50 is accepted by AASHTO, then to fit the grid the US 64/17 route would have to have an even number between 52 and 62. I don't know whether NCDOT is asking for a number for that route on this AASHTO cycle as well.

I wonder if they will even build it in the first place. But, I wouldn't put anything past NCDOT when it comes to new interstates.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 31, 2016, 12:22:51 PM

"The Corridor Commission has recommended I-50 for several reasons; i.e. no conflicts with numbering, must be even number between 46 and 70. AASHTO will make final decision hopefully at their annual meeting in May, 2016."

Does NC 50 not count as a conflict with numbering?  Especially since it is concurrent with US 70 and partly US 401 through Raleigh into Garner

The state could renumber NC 50 to something else, it's not hard for them and they have done this in the past... best example NC 26 --> NC 226.  However, since existing NC 73 and I-73 exist and even cross each other, the current NCDOT may not care.

wdcrft63

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 31, 2016, 02:17:18 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 31, 2016, 12:22:51 PM

The state could renumber NC 50 to something else, it's not hard for them and they have done this in the past... best example NC 26 --> NC 226.  However, since existing NC 73 and I-73 exist and even cross each other, the current NCDOT may not care.
NC 50 is concurrent with US 70 in Raleigh but not anywhere along the route of the new interstate (NC 50 roughly parallels I-40, not the proposed I-50). The name NC 50 is well known locally and there would probably be strong local opposition to changing it.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: mvak36 on March 31, 2016, 02:12:36 PM

I wonder if they will even build it in the first place. But, I wouldn't put anything past NCDOT when it comes to new interstates.

If they are asking for I-50 for US 70, then I could see NCDOT ask for I-60 along US 64/US 17, because why not.  :bigass:

mvak36

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 31, 2016, 03:26:33 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on March 31, 2016, 02:12:36 PM

If they are asking for I-50 for US 70, then I could see NCDOT ask for I-60 along US 64/US 17, because why not.  :bigass:

Lol.  Doesn't US 60 end somewhere near Norfolk though?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.