I-26

Started by mightyace, August 29, 2009, 10:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

I was on this directionally challenged highway last weekend.  (My brother and I used it as an end-around Bristol traffic and to go to Carowinds near Charlotte.  As an aside, Carowinds straddles the NC/SC border! :wow:)

We stayed west of Asheville near Canton, NC and went up to the track via I-26 to US 321 near Johnson City, TN.  On the way to Carowinds, we went exit 66 (I think) where US 74 breaks off I-26.

My question is this.  I noticed that I-26 was still signed as "FUTURE I-26" from where it left I-240 pretty much to the Tennessee border.  Does anybody know when the necessary upgrades will be done so that the "FUTURE" tag is removed from that section of the route?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

froggie

According to NCDOT's project website, we're still looking at close to 10 years...

mightyace

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

One interesting thing that I saw after glancing at some of the Public Hearing maps is that they ALL labeled I-26 as North-South!  :pan:

Chris

Is I-26 signed East-West or North-South? Because it actually runs more north-south than E-W.

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on August 30, 2009, 05:33:10 AM
Is I-26 signed East-West or North-South? Because it actually runs more north-south than E-W.

As all even numbered 2-di's are it is signed East-West.  I-40 in NC and (Future) I-74 have significant North-South running as well.  Plus, when I-85 (signed North-South) enters the state it is running essentially east-west.

Chris

Hmmm okay. Maybe I-26 wasn't the perfect number, but it's not like there are a lot of odd numbers to spare in that region.

I-26 ends 150 miles east of it's terminus, but also 260 miles south of it's terminus, so it indeed runs more north-south than east-west, unlike I-40 and I-85 which only partially run in the n/s or e/w direction.

froggie

The problem is the Appalachians and associated foothills don't exactly allow for a smooth east-west or north-south alignment.  Hence why I-26 essentially runs NW-SE and other routes like I-81 run SW-NE.

SP Cook

It is important to remember that I-26 originally ended at Asheville, which makes the E-W numbering more appropriate.  Politics made them renumber what should have been an ordinary upgrade to US 23 to an I number.  NC, IMHO, is the world's worst for mucking up the interstate numbering system.  There is such a thing as a good US highway.

As to to OP's comment on Carowinds the border being inside the park was originally part of the theme.  It was independently owned and featured rides that were themed after different parts of the two states.  After the builders lost control it has been owned by a succession of chains that have genercized the place.  Even when it openned in 1973, its named were probably non-PC even for that day.  These included Plantantion Square,  Pirate Island, Indian Thicket, Country Crossroads and Queens Colony.  Although of late some of the Carolina themes have returned.

I have no idea how NC and SC split up the taxes, regulations, and such.  Probably have some sort of agreement.

hbelkins

They could always have extended I-181 south to Asheville instead of extending I-26 north (to US 11W instead of its logical end point the next exit north at US 23 and TN 36.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mightyace

Quote from: hbelkins on August 30, 2009, 10:17:55 PM
They could always have extended I-181 south to Asheville instead of extending I-26 north (to US 11W instead of its logical end point the next exit north at US 23 and TN 36.)

They'd have never done that.  It would have made too much sense.  :pan:  :banghead:

simguy228

Quote from: mightyace on August 29, 2009, 10:05:32 PM
I was on this directionally challenged highway last weekend.  (My brother and I used it as an end-around Bristol traffic and to go to Carowinds near Charlotte.  As an aside, Carowinds straddles the NC/SC border! :wow:)

We stayed west of Asheville near Canton, NC and went up to the track via I-26 to US 321 near Johnson City, TN.  On the way to Carowinds, we went exit 66 (I think) where US 74 breaks off I-26.

My question is this.  I noticed that I-26 was still signed as "FUTURE I-26" from where it left I-240 pretty much to the Tennessee border.  Does anybody know when the necessary upgrades will be done so that the "FUTURE" tag is removed from that section of the route?

Did you say "Johnson City"? If so, I live in Johnson City (Well not exactly 12 mi. I think)
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

juscuz410

Quote from: Chris on August 30, 2009, 05:33:10 AM

It's true. It works in Michigan. See I-69 East of Lansing.

english si

There's a lot of Interstates that could be signed in different directions, especially when you split each route into states. I-81 in TN is E-W, for instance, as are I-85 in SC and I-95 in CT (I-84 in CT is more N-S!)

However, when you include the whole route, I-26 (even before the extension north of Asheville) and I-82 are the only Interstates that are more suited as odd rather than even. Some routes are going to be diagonal (I-71 is a perfect example, and I-85 and I-81 are other good ones), which doesn't suit a grid easily, but there's only a couple that are the wrong way round.

I-26 is good as I-26, as it removes the need to take a N-S number that isn't spare anyway. I-82 is less good - I can see why it was numbered that, and there were spaces, due to I-15W (I-86 West) and I-80N (I-84 West) saving two numbers in the 80-90 range, with the addition of there not being I-88 (now there's two) or I-86 (now there's two, and CT's rather N-S one wasn't built).

Brandon

Quote from: SP Cook on August 30, 2009, 09:55:41 AM
It is important to remember that I-26 originally ended at Asheville, which makes the E-W numbering more appropriate.  Politics made them renumber what should have been an ordinary upgrade to US 23 to an I number.  NC, IMHO, is the world's worst for mucking up the interstate numbering system.  There is such a thing as a good US highway.

As to to OP's comment on Carowinds the border being inside the park was originally part of the theme.  It was independently owned and featured rides that were themed after different parts of the two states.  After the builders lost control it has been owned by a succession of chains that have genercized the place.  Even when it openned in 1973, its named were probably non-PC even for that day.  These included Plantantion Square,  Pirate Island, Indian Thicket, Country Crossroads and Queens Colony.  Although of late some of the Carolina themes have returned.

I have no idea how NC and SC split up the taxes, regulations, and such.  Probably have some sort of agreement.

I've noticed that.  Never understood why North Carolina needed I-26 to go north-south out of Asheville, and why they needed I-73 and I-74.  It, to me, is a bit bizarre.  US highways are just as good, IMHO, to use as freeway routes.  Other states use US routes for freeways all the time (Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin).

As for Carowinds, I would suspect the theming to return as the new owners (Cedar Fair) aren't as interested in branding every park they own (as opposed to Paramont or Six Flags).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: english si on November 16, 2009, 01:11:32 PM
There's a lot of Interstates that could be signed in different directions, especially when you split each route into states. I-81 in TN is E-W, for instance, as are I-85 in SC and I-95 in CT (I-84 in CT is more N-S!)

However, when you include the whole route, I-26 (even before the extension north of Asheville) and I-82 are the only Interstates that are more suited as odd rather than even. Some routes are going to be diagonal (I-71 is a perfect example, and I-85 and I-81 are other good ones), which doesn't suit a grid easily, but there's only a couple that are the wrong way round.

I-26 is good as I-26, as it removes the need to take a N-S number that isn't spare anyway. I-82 is less good - I can see why it was numbered that, and there were spaces, due to I-15W (I-86 West) and I-80N (I-84 West) saving two numbers in the 80-90 range, with the addition of there not being I-88 (now there's two) or I-86 (now there's two, and CT's rather N-S one wasn't built).

I-84 is more E-W in Connecticut. I travel on it a lot, and it goes WSW-ESE.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

wdcrft63

Quote from: Brandon on November 16, 2009, 01:19:08 PM
I've noticed that.  Never understood why North Carolina needed I-26 to go north-south out of Asheville, and why they needed I-73 and I-74.  It, to me, is a bit bizarre.  US highways are just as good, IMHO, to use as freeway routes.  Other states use US routes for freeways all the time (Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin).
Although North Carolina is not entirely blameless, it gets more blame than it deserves for these numerical anomalies. It was really Tennessee that wanted the interstate connection between Asheville and upper East Tennessee, and in particular it was Tennessee that pushed to have all of I-181 renumbered as I-26, creating the "stub end" of I-26 at Kingsport. As for I-73/74, those numbers were specified by Congress in the ISTEA legislation in 1991. Yes, NC wanted the interstate highways, but it would have been equally happy with other numbers.

As far as NC is concerned, I-73 and I-74 are not in any sense bizarre as interstate highways; they are very important highways that have high priority for the state. NC has long freeway segments on US highways as well, including US 1, US 321, and US 421.

cowboy_wilhelm

Reviving this thread with some North Carolina construction updates since I-26 never gets mentioned for anything other than wHy iSn't it nUmBerED NoRTh/sOUth?! I will slap anyone who brings it up again.  :pan:

After five years of construction on a one mile widening and interchange project at Brevard Rd (Exit 33) in Asheville, traffic in both directions has been moved to the new inside lanes and the concrete should be poured for the final lanes soon. The last I saw, they're aiming to be finished "by the end of the year." The completion date in the contract was August 2019.

A new interchange and connector is being proposed to connect I-26 to N.C. 191 and the Pratt & Whitney facility that is being constructed in Buncombe County (proposed Exit 35).
I-26 Flying to the Future

Several overpasses are finished and lane shifts are beginning on the I-26 widening projects southeast of Asheville. I-26 is being widened to eight lanes from N.C. 191 (Exit 33) to U.S. 25 (Exit 44), and to six lanes from there to U.S. 64 (Exit 49). The remainder of the widening to U.S. 25 (Exit 54) is unfunded. Both projects under construction should be finished by 2024.

Below is one of dozens of retaining walls being built as part of the projects. No idea when the replacement of the Blue Ridge Parkway bridge will start.

Work should begin next month on the project to rehabilitate the Peter Guice Memorial Bridge(s) across the Green River in Henderson County (MM 56). The superstructure will be rebuilt and the bridge decks connected. Below are the construction and demolition stages.

A project to repair and replace the failing drainage system on I-26 at Howard Gap in Polk County (MM 63-64) has been delayed after the only bid received for the project was rejected due to being 159% over the estimated cost. The project should be available again in October.

wdcrft63

A very informative report for those of us who haven't driven this road in years. Thanks!

Strider

When the bridge replacement happens, I believe they will temporarily close the BRP between NC 191 to the west and U.S. 25 to the east as there is no access roads between those locations.

ARMOURERERIC

The plans showed a BRP replacent bridge about 30 feet south of the existing structure

cowboy_wilhelm

Correct, the replacement bridge will be on new location, and it looks like the parkway will remain open during construction with limited closures. However, the National Park Service has some stringent requirements. Excerpts from the project proposal:

NCDOT, NPS, and FHWA-EFL will coordinate to ensure, to the extent possible, that temporary or nighttime closures necessary for construction of the Blue Ridge Parkway realignment and bridge replacement over I-26 will only be permitted from November 1 until April 31 and not during summer months.

Prepare load rating calculations using Load and Resistance Factor Rating (LRFR) for all existing bridges on the Blue Ridge Parkway along the planned route for transporting equipment and materials. Check the adequacy of the existing bridges based on the Inventory Level load rating for the Strength and Service Limit States. Submit load rating calculations that are signed and sealed by a Professional Engineer registered in the State of North Carolina.

Space loaded hauling vehicles at 500 feet minimum intervals, and do not allow more than one (1) loaded hauling vehicle at a time on a bridge on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

An access road construction plan for the Blue Ridge Parkway access road shall be submitted for review and approval by the Engineer.

No hauling or deliveries allowed on the Blue Ridge Parkway during commuter periods, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 am to 9:00 am and 4:00 pm — 6:00 pm. Outside of the commuter periods, no more than 2 haul or delivery round trips will be allowed in a single hour on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Install traffic control for the Blue Ridge Parkway as shown on the plans. No lane closures or daytime deliveries during the month of October.

Use single lane closures with flaggers on the Blue Ridge Parkway and as shown in the plans. Open roadway within 24 hours after completion of work or as directed by Engineer.

Limit construction-caused delays to public traffic along the Blue Ridge Parkway to a maximum of 15 minutes per passage through a lane closure.

Limit lane closures to 2,500 feet unless otherwise approved by the Engineer. If short-duration Blue Ridge Parkway closure is required for delivery of large items, i.e. pre-cast segments, the contractor will submit a proposed schedule no less than 2 weeks in advance for review and approval by Engineer. Closures will not be allowed during commuter periods, are to be scheduled and prosecuted to minimize duration and are to include public notifications with variable message boards.

An on-site precast plant may be utilized provided it meets all applicable requirements contained in these contract documents.

Do not stage materials or equipment in areas that are not mowed regularly throughout the growing season unless prior approval from the Engineer is obtained. Only close half the overlook at a time when using overlooks as staging areas.

triplemultiplex

Definitely a less ugly design for that new Blue Ridge Parkway bridge over the freeway, if that plan is anything to go off of.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bob7374

NCDOT is planning a new interchange on I-26 about 6 miles south of Asheville, to be Exit 35, to better connect NC 191 with the interstate. They have set up a public comment website with maps and alternative design concepts (and a video some time in the future) at: https://www.publicinput.com/I26-exit35-buncombe

wriddle082

SC Governor Henry McMaster will be using federal funds to accelerate widening I-26 between Columbia and Charleston.

https://www.wistv.com//app/2021/09/02/mcmaster-expected-make-major-infrastructure-announcement-thursday/

The first project will start next year from SC 27 near Ridgeville to Jedburg Rd near Summerville.  I wish they would start on the Columbia end first, since there are hills just east of where the current 6-lane section ends that really tend to slow down the truck traffic.  But they are saying either way that the whole thing will be done in 10 years.

sprjus4

Quote from: bob7374 on September 03, 2021, 11:35:57 AM
NCDOT is planning a new interchange on I-26 about 6 miles south of Asheville, to be Exit 35, to better connect NC 191 with the interstate. They have set up a public comment website with maps and alternative design concepts (and a video some time in the future) at: https://www.publicinput.com/I26-exit35-buncombe
Alternatives 1 and 3 need to be eliminated. Those left entrances / exits north/westbound  :no: :no:

Yes, it would cost $10-15 million more, however, that left merging situation is going to cause more issues than help. Especially on an 8 lane interstate highway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.