Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 16, 2015, 08:07:53 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on October 16, 2015, 06:08:45 AM
Very European-esque signs in this roundabout/circle in Chester, MD:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9786438,-76.289187,3a,43.8y,293.48h,86.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFexcwIW2P2iBEcXs-5kprQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Maryland had those in several places. There used to be a few at the two roundabouts near the Naylor Road Metrorail station, but they were replaced with US-style signs. I kind of liked them. No reason to reinvent good signage.
Here's a black and yellow variation I saw a month ago on MD 165 at MD 24 that has been there back to at least 2008...

https://goo.gl/maps/LXtsUA9dxd42

This reminded me that on that same ride I also saw a white on blue circle arrow for an I-95 shield on NJ 3 at the NJ Tpk:

https://goo.gl/maps/w9dtVaEVWz82

Mike

luokou

It's not often you see Series C numerals for route shields in California. Bonus points for using the 42" x 36" Interstate shield shape rather than the typical 45" x 38".

https://goo.gl/maps/Smq8JJZhKqP2

national highway 1

Found this on the AARoads Facebook page about Sacramento.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

cappicard

https://goo.gl/maps/Hji7r937ccJ2

This little oddball of a sign.  Being on wrong side of the street, and the narrow 435 shield. :)

ekt8750

Quote from: luokou on October 17, 2015, 04:00:08 PM
It's not often you see Series C numerals for route shields in California. Bonus points for using the 36" x 42" Interstate shield shape rather than the typical 38" x 45".

Dunno why more states don't do that on 3 digit shields. Series B isn't necessary for that.

cl94

Quote from: ekt8750 on October 22, 2015, 11:31:00 AM
It's not often you see Series C numerals for route shields in California. Bonus points for using the 36" x 42" Interstate shield shape rather than the typical 38" x 45".

Dunno why more states don't do that on 3 digit shields. Series B isn't necessary for that.

Funny you say that, because most states I frequent use C or D. Ohio loves their Series B, but a lot of the Northeast used Series D until very recently.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cappicard

Kansas usually uses Series C on newer Interstate shields, B on older ones. B on Interstate shields just looks out-dated to me.   When KDOT does use B for Interstate shields, it's typically on 3-digit ones.

KDOT uses B or C on US or Sunflower shields.

jakeroot

I still think Series C looks silly on 3DI's -- I'd opt for Series D any day over C or B.

Michael

While playing GeoGuessr yesterday, I came across the intersection of routes KK and K.  I would think they would have named at least one of them differently.

Here in Auburn, there's this sign that I've never seen anywhere else.  There's an opposing leading left at the intersection.

When the expansion of the Carousel Center in Syracuse opened and was renamed Destiny USA, they made a mock-up of one of the new BGSes that were made:

I went up to the sign for a closer look, and it appeared to be MUTCD compliant.  Here's the actual sign in Street View.

Buffaboy

Quote from: Michael on October 22, 2015, 08:12:38 PM
When the expansion of the Carousel Center in Syracuse opened and was renamed Destiny USA, they made a mock-up of one of the new BGSes that were made:

I went up to the sign for a closer look, and it appeared to be MUTCD compliant.  Here's the actual sign in Street View.

Is it still there?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Michael

cappicard

Which font is on that 690 shield? Looks like something you'd see on Interstate shields on Canadian highways immediately before ports of entry.

SignGeek101

Quote from: cappicard on October 23, 2015, 12:28:18 PM

Which font is on that 690 shield? Looks like something you'd see on Interstate shields on New Brunswick highways immediately before ports of entry.

FTFY. Most provinces know enough to use FHWA for Interstate shields (even BC and MB use it even though they both use different fonts for their own shields). Quebec likes series EM for Interstate and US highway shields though.

The font is likely Helvetica.

national highway 1

Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 23, 2015, 12:57:07 PM

Which font is on that 690 shield? Looks like something you'd see on Interstate shields on New Brunswick highways immediately before ports of entry.

FTFY. Most provinces know enough to use FHWA for Interstate shields (even BC and MB use it even though they both use different fonts for their own shields). Quebec likes series EM for Interstate and US highway shields though.

Not quite, but I think it could be Arial.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

PurdueBill

Quote from: cl94 on October 22, 2015, 12:17:29 PM

Funny you say that, because most states I frequent use C or D. Ohio loves their Series B, but a lot of the Northeast used Series D until very recently.

Until the end of button copy, Ohio loved its D-modified for 3DI shields on BGS.  Once the change to reflective signs came, they went totally bonkers.  Series B was common but is less so now.  Some newer signage (unfortunately usually with Clearview everywhere else) uses D for the numerals, while there is some C as well.  The latest signs I have seen going up haven't featured B, fortunately.

These were some good-looking Ohio 3DI shields....

For contrast, here is a 3DI shield with proper D-modified and here is one with the numerals 9 and 0 accidentally the wrong series.  You can see it in the shape of the 9 as well as the larger size and squeezing into the shield.

Indiana used to be fairly well-behaved on BGSs with not using series B for 3DIs, but a rash of series B 465s and 865s appeared when the latter route came into existence, and not all have disappeared yet. 

SectorZ

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 24, 2015, 07:51:15 AM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 23, 2015, 12:57:07 PM

Not quite, but I think it could be Arial.

Looks familiar for a lot of the I-384 signs in CT.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 22, 2015, 03:51:13 AM
Found this on the AARoads Facebook page about Sacramento.

For what seems to be a private installation, the shields don't look terrible.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

SignGeek101

Anyone know what this means? Is it vandalism? I've never seen this before.

An Odd Yield Sign, Banff AB
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

noelbotevera

Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 25, 2015, 10:59:22 PM

by Sign Geek, on Flickr
Beware of open scissors coming at you.

Yeah it's vandalized. It's a sticker cause I can faintly tell it's beginning to peel off.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

SteveG1988

Two scissors means yield to same sex females enjoying themselves.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

cappicard

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 25, 2015, 11:00:19 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 25, 2015, 10:59:22 PM

by Sign Geek, on Flickr
Beware of open scissors coming at you.

Yeah it's vandalized. It's a sticker cause I can faintly tell it's beginning to peel off.
A pair of scissors is a bridge too far. ;)

Revive 755

Near the Eola Road interchange with I-88 in DuPage County, IL, there are a couple assemblies using blue backgrounds:
Streetview
Streetview

SignGeek101

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 01, 2015, 10:35:21 PM
Near the Eola Road interchange with I-88 in DuPage County, IL, there are a couple assemblies using blue backgrounds:
Streetview
Streetview

Arrows look a bit undersized. Interesting for sure.

jakeroot

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 01, 2015, 10:35:21 PM
Streetview
Streetview

Illinois on: "how to use Clearview":

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.