News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Yes, the color of your nearby fire hydrant means something...

Started by CanesFan27, December 06, 2017, 10:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

The late Andy Rooney would say something like this, "Have you ever noticed the color of a nearby fire hydrant - have you ever wondered if it means anything?"

Well believe it or not, there are color coding standards for fire hydrants based on the type of system connected to, water flow rate and water pressure for each hydrant.  I was unaware of these standards until the fire hydrant in front of our house and throughout our neighborhood were painted from red to yellow earlier this year.

Check out the blog to learn more:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2017/12/yes-color-of-your-nearby-fire-hydrant.html

wxfree

I once heard in one city that the color is related to the types of connections available.  In another city I heard that the black hydrants are those that have substandard water pressure.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

kphoger

The color scheme is not universal.  So it's quite possible that one city did it one way, and the other did it another way.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

In Boston and Cambridge, where all hydrants are connected to a public water supply, the hydrant colors correlate to available water pressure.  So, it's not uncommon to see two hydrants within 20 feet of each other, but with different colors.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

The most unique one I've seen is one with a chrome-finished top on Columbia Pike in Arlington near the Air Force Memorial. They wanted something spiffy due to the location.

Link goes to the map due to how their app works:
Click
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CtrlAltDel

The ones in my town, or at least some of them, are painted black and white to resemble the spots of a dalmatian.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Duke87

Fire hydrants in New York City these days are usually some combination of black and rust colored. The convention definitely is not followed here.

You used to see fire hydrants painted red, white, and blue dotted around the city as well - this was a thing people did for the bicentennial in 1976. Not official or anything, people would just grab some paint and do it themselves. These are all gone by now since 41 years of exposure to weather, road salt, and splashing from traffic is more than enough for a coat of your average hardware store paint to have chipped and faded away to nothing (not to mention that they hydrant itself will in many cases have been replaced in that timeframe). I remember one on the street where my grandmother used to live being visibly still red white and blue back in the early 90s though.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

qguy

Definitely not universal. For example, in a town near where I once lived, the fire department let people in the neighborhoods get together and paint them any way they wanted.

There was one standard: couldn't be obscene.

Brandon

Here, in Joliet, I know the color coding is not followed.  The one outsider here, attached to the municipal water system, is painted red.

In addition, painting hydrants white is just foolish.  You'll never find them in the snow.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

freebrickproductions

IIRC, Huntsville used to have the end caps of the hydrants painted specific colors to mark the water pressure (I remember seeing this a lot when growing up), but I think the city has decided to just go with yellow hydrants with green end caps as standard for all hydrants now, as I can't recall seeing any hydrants with blue, yellow, or red end caps anytime within the past few years.

Decatur, AL has always done red and white hydrants, as far as I can remember.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jeffandnicole

The actual defining code is NFPA 291...and what they state is different from this blog.

Scott5114

In Oklahoma, they're all just entirely red. No color coding at all.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sparker

:)
Quote from: qguy on December 09, 2017, 11:56:25 PM
Definitely not universal. For example, in a town near where I once lived, the fire department let people in the neighborhoods get together and paint them any way they wanted.

There was one standard: couldn't be obscene.

Which would have effectively restricted pinkish tones!  :)

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on December 10, 2017, 12:20:53 AM
Here, in Joliet, I know the color coding is not followed.  The one outsider here, attached to the municipal water system, is painted red.

It doesn't mean Joliet doesn't have a system.  Perhaps all hydrants connected to municipal water are red.  Perhaps red signifies a certain water pressure.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

All mine in Tewksbury MA are red. All public water.

Fun story about this... About 15 years ago a former next door neighbor tried to impress his young son by painting the hydrant in front of their house white with black polka dots to look like a dalmatian. Needless to say, Tewksbury FD was not impressed, and made him paint it back. I don't even know how the town found out so quick, given I live on a dead-end street and he was a likeable if not altogether intelligent person.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.